PSP - need help on converting video

PoweredBySoy

2[H]4U
Hi, friends. I need your help.

So I just bought a PSP and I'm trying to figure out how to play my DVD's on it, and I'm completely clueless when it comes to video stuff. My friend directed me to PSP Video 9 as a great converter to get movies from my hard drive to my PSP. But I can't figure out how to get my DVD's to my hard drive.

Do I need another app to rip my DVD's to my hard drive? Can you guys recommend one (preferably free), along with a nice idiot proof guide on how to do it? Or is there a way to just transfer the DVD files directly to my hard drive, and then let Video 9 do the rest?

I threw in my Troy DVD to just see what I would find, and there are a bunch of .VOB files - which I have no clue what they are.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Yeah, that program's a good one. Some of the converter programs for the iPod will also work. There was a free one called Handbrake that worked really well, but I haven't tried it lately.
If you want a catch-all, there's a converter program called DVD-FAB that will do almost anything under the sun with DVD video.

Yeah that program is good.

This is why the PSP was not as successful as Sony had hoped. If the PSP had come with a converter program out of the box then it would of sold a lot more. I used to have one and it was cool and a but a lack of good games and confusing interface for puting videos on there limited the success of the PSP. Not to mention the fact that it can only play MPEG4. Not trying to flame the OP just explaing why his problem exists.

Yeah, as an all-purpose media device, you would think it would be easier. I think they made everything a pain just because of licensing and whatnot, but it would've made life easier. Even their own media center program is a pain to use for media transfers/conversions.
As for the games...not sure what more you want there. There are more A+ titles on the PSP than 2 of the 3 major consoles right now. I think because the PSP went under the radar for so long, people just assumed there were no good games. I used to think that until a friend of mine pointed out at least 15 games he had with him that was stellar. Overall, there are potentially more good PSP games than for the DS, and that's saying a lot.

I need to play around with these programs some more.

It seems the .VOB files are the ones I'm looking to convert, correct? These files are the actual movie. One problem I'm seeing is that each DVD has multiple .VOB files on it (at about 1GB each). Does Video 9 take these multiple files and merge them into a single MPEG4 for viewing on the PSP?

As for the games...not sure what more you want there. There are more A+ titles on the PSP than 2 of the 3 major consoles right now. I think because the PSP went under the radar for so long, people just assumed there were no good games.

Yeah, I have about 10+ games queued up on Gamefly right now that I'm eager to play. Lots of games to play, and ones I'm more interested in (as opposed to DS). I also picked up FF Tactics with my purchase, which is putting me back in nostalgia heaven.

i downloaded pspvideo9 and was assaulted with "you've won a free ipod" voice adds and ads all over the program, on a clean secure install of winXP, is it supposed to be ad-supported? I closed the setup wizard that asked me where my psp folder was because i wanted to specify a HDD folder instead to output to, but after i closed that window the whole program froze then shut down after a minute.

Sorry if you already know this:

the DVD VOB files are encrypted, and therefore you need to decrypt them before converting them. Fortunately, that is pretty easy to do. There is a pretty good program called 'DVD Decrypter' that does this. ;) You can find this program here (in the download section), as well as tutorials on how to convert it.

I dunno if direct links work for that site, but this should be a link to the tutorial you need to decrypt the DVDs.

It should be noted that DVD decrypting may not be 100% legal. I am no lawyer and I haven't paid much attention to the legal aspects. As such, if this post is against the rules, please let me know and I will change it.

yea ive got the files decrypted already , thanks though.

I just edited the hosts file and redirected all the ad address to localhost , so i have a empty looking program now, that works :p Funny thing is the option on where to output the videos was hidden by ads until i disabled them.

Firmware 3.8 came out today. Its supposed to allow support for WMV and DivX.

I downloaded it but haven't tested it yet. Still playing with the Shoutcast player.

Firmware 3.8 came out today. Its supposed to allow support for WMV and DivX...

Where did you read this? I haven't read anything about added codecs with FW3.80. I think you're getting it confused with the PS3 which did receive DivX playback with its latest FW updated.

I'm going to flash my spare PSP from FW3.71-4 M33 to FW3.80 today some time.

Sorry if you already know this:

the DVD VOB files are encrypted, and therefore you need to decrypt them before converting them. Fortunately, that is pretty easy to do. There is a pretty good program called 'DVD Decrypter' that does this. ;) You can find this program here (in the download section), as well as tutorials on how to convert it.

I dunno if direct links work for that site, but this should be a link to the tutorial you need to decrypt the DVDs.

It should be noted that DVD decrypting may not be 100% legal. I am no lawyer and I haven't paid much attention to the legal aspects. As such, if this post is against the rules, please let me know and I will change it.

Actually I dont think it is illegal as you are technically backing the file up for your own use and use on another media (IE recording things on my Tivo then using TivoServer to store it on my computer, same basic principle). It is when you begin distributing those files that you get into trouble.

Yes I read an article where the author was confused. You are right. Not much good info out there yet. I tried it and it didn't work.

Video codecs are unchanged. Here is the change log from Wikipedia...

* All PlayStation One game discs on the PlayStation 3 are playable on the PlayStation Portable via Remote Play.
* Streaming internet radio player
* Added music visualization effects
* Video scene search
* RSS now supports OPML and pictures
* PlayStation Spot now available at BB Mobile Point (Japan only)
* One-segment broadcasting recordings (PSP-2000 only)

Back