PSP Questions

Incinerator

Limp Gawd
ok, I just got a PSP for Christmas and I had never even held one before yesterday but so far I'm really enjoying it. But I have a few questions about it

1. Can I put any video I want on it? like any xvid/avi video from my comp onto the card to play it back on the PSP?

2. What are some good in depth websites for PSP related info including homebrew?

3. My PSP version is 2.71 and when I try to play GTA it says I have to upgrade to 2.81, however, with all these people downgrading to 1.5 for homebrew applications are they just screwed out of playing GTA or what?

4. The very first game of Madden that I played online was awesome, even though I lost terribly, but every game I've tried to play since then it says that I lose the connection to my opponent just as they're about to receive the kickoff? I tried restarting the wireless router but that didn't change anything? Any ideas as to the issue?

5. How hard is it to revert a PSP to 1.5 and what are the chances of it bricking?

6. What are some of the best games for the PSP? I currently have Madden 07, GTA:VCS, and an ATV game

Thanks a lot

1. PSP only supports mp4 fomats and you need a converter. PSP video 9 is one of them and it doesnt convert some video formats.
2. Google for psp updates
3. I believe you can downgrade from 2.71 so dont upgrade to 2.81.
4. Router problem, google to configurate it somehow.
5. It's not hard if you read all the instructions. You will break it if you didn't follow the right instructions.
6. Metal Gear Solid is a good game for the PSP.

I'm only going to pay attention to question #3 because Clowning answered the others.

You can downgrade 2.71 very easily, like Clowning said, just follow the directions at pspupdates (check the forum for a guide). I then suggest you upgrade to 3.02OE-A (custom firmware, not Sony's) so you can play pretty much 99% of the games without having to update. Devhook is also another option to play games without having to update.

here's a good place to start in regards to firmware/downgrading questions..

Link

you'll definitely want to check if your psp's motherboard is TA-082 before attempting to do any flashing, or else it could result in a brick

I personally am a Devhook fan, and make every effort to keep my PSP in its native 1.5 state.

OE-B now supports full PSX Emulation, courtesy of Sony Computer Entertainment, so keep your eyes peeled for that in the upcoming days/weeks. I can't wait for it to hack up some kinda save game converter between epsxe MCRs & sony's format (probably both just the binary data in different containers)...portable Legend of Dragoon and then toss the data back over to continue on monitor, mmmmm.

Oh yeah, FF too. And Castlevania. And MGS. And Parasite Eve...and Syphon Filter and etc etc.

One thing I was curious about though was whether Sony coded their emu to run the PSP CPU at 266 or 333 MHz. The advantage of writing emulators for your own developed hardware clearly shines through if its @ 266, because some SNES games lag @ that speed anywhoo... >.>

movax said:
I personally am a Devhook fan, and make every effort to keep my PSP in its native 1.5 state.

OE-B now supports full PSX Emulation, courtesy of Sony Computer Entertainment, so keep your eyes peeled for that in the upcoming days/weeks. I can't wait for it to hack up some kinda save game converter between epsxe MCRs & sony's format (probably both just the binary data in different containers)...portable Legend of Dragoon and then toss the data back over to continue on monitor, mmmmm.

Oh yeah, FF too. And Castlevania. And MGS. And Parasite Eve...and Syphon Filter and etc etc.

One thing I was curious about though was whether Sony coded their emu to run the PSP CPU at 266 or 333 MHz. The advantage of writing emulators for your own developed hardware clearly shines through if its @ 266, because some SNES games lag @ that speed anywhoo... >.>

Well, I use the CWCheat prx and it lets you overclock any game/homebrew (among many other features). I think the official emulator runs at 222mhz. Been testing GT2 and FF7 with 222mhz vs 333mhz and they both run about the same. I cannot notice any difference.

Devhook was nice, but man once you go 3.02 OE-B, you'll never want to go back. The flash process is extremely simple, and the benefits/convenience of custom firmware now far outweigh that of devhook, in my opinion. Complete kernal access from 1.5 coupled with all the features of 3.02, might i say, the psx emulator? :) Straight from startup, no messing around "emulating" firmwares like devhook. In any case, Dark_Alex's custrom firmwares have a nice recovery menu should you ever wish to boot up in 1.5, you just hold R down during startup. Come to the Dark_Alex side! ha

i just put 3.02 OE-A on my psp... and... if you haven't done it already, GO DO IT!!!!

I've been playing ps1 games off the memstick like a fiend :)

Wrench00 said:
Stick with 1.5 and use devhook.. I wouldn't recommand custom flash.
Why? I was a firm believer of Devhook + 1.5 ever since that program arrived, but once 2.71SE-C hit I decided to try it out. It is so easy to do and very safe, plus it gives a lot more features. *Goes back to playing FF7*

1. Can I put any video I want on it? like any xvid/avi video from my comp onto the card to play it back on the PSP?

They must be either MP4 or AVC. Motion JPEG works too but the files are very large. Also the video's must be within a certain resolution and the audio has to below a certain quality. Unless you use motion JPEG, you'll won't get as good of quality as a UMD movie.

2. What are some good in depth websites for PSP related info including homebrew?
PSP!!!!!!, PSPUpdates.

3. My PSP version is 2.71 and when I try to play GTA it says I have to upgrade to 2.81, however, with all these people downgrading to 1.5 for homebrew applications are they just screwed out of playing GTA or what?

Look into Devhook

4. The very first game of Madden that I played online was awesome, even though I lost terribly, but every game I've tried to play since then it says that I lose the connection to my opponent just as they're about to receive the kickoff? I tried restarting the wireless router but that didn't change anything? Any ideas as to the issue?

Don't know.

5. How hard is it to revert a PSP to 1.5 and what are the chances of it bricking?

Don't know.

6. What are some of the best games for the PSP? I currently have Madden 07, GTA:VCS, and an ATV game

Ace Combat X
Locoroco
Syphon Filter
Lumines, Lumines 2
Mercury, Mercury Meltdown
SOCOM, SOCOM 2
Katamari Demacy
Race Driver 2006

...and many many more.

Grahf said:
Devhook was nice, but man once you go 3.02 OE-B, you'll never want to go back. The flash process is extremely simple, and the benefits/convenience of custom firmware now far outweigh that of devhook, in my opinion. Complete kernal access from 1.5 coupled with all the features of 3.02, might i say, the psx emulator? :) Straight from startup, no messing around "emulating" firmwares like devhook. In any case, Dark_Alex's custrom firmwares have a nice recovery menu should you ever wish to boot up in 1.5, you just hold R down during startup. Come to the Dark_Alex side! ha
Ok, so you can boot up in 1.5, but any way to go back to 1.5 if you absolutely, positively, have to? ;)

I am tempted... :)

movax said:
Ok, so you can boot up in 1.5, but any way to go back to 1.5 if you absolutely, positively, have to? ;)

I am tempted... :)
Yes, it has a recovery add-on. (While PSP is turning on hold the R trigger down and it'll boot into the recovery window)

Also here's a headline from pspupdates - "2.71 TA-082 Firmware PSP's Now Able to Downgrade!", Dark Alex seems to be unstoppable...

Long time PSP tweaker here. Had my black system on launch, and later got a white system that I expected to update and play "new" games on... leaving the black at 1.5. Well, when the downgrader came out I was thrilled. Suddenly I had two systems to play wirelessly with, etc.

But then the PS3 came out, I got one, and I didn't wait to see what emulation would do. Ended up upgrading the black unit to 3.x, and left my white system for tweaking. Now that the PSX playable firmware is out... I SO need to tweak my white system. I'm looking forward to making ISO's of GT, FFVII, and others... all are in the closet, so I just gotta figure out the tools. ;)

I was hesitant to overwrite the "Sony" 1.5 firmware for a long time. I use DevHook and it's good. But with the PSX compatibility, it's going to be the new firmware for me!!! :)

MERKMAN said:
Long time PSP tweaker here. Had my black system on launch, and later got a white system that I expected to update and play "new" games on... leaving the black at 1.5. Well, when the downgrader came out I was thrilled. Suddenly I had two systems to play wirelessly with, etc.

But then the PS3 came out, I got one, and I didn't wait to see what emulation would do. Ended up upgrading the black unit to 3.x, and left my white system for tweaking. Now that the PSX playable firmware is out... I SO need to tweak my white system. I'm looking forward to making ISO's of GT, FFVII, and others... all are in the closet, so I just gotta figure out the tools. ;)

I was hesitant to overwrite the "Sony" 1.5 firmware for a long time. I use DevHook and it's good. But with the PSX compatibility, it's going to be the new firmware for me!!! :)
Any hardware differences between the white and black PSPs?

As long as you don't have the alt. motherboard, no. Just the O and X buttons being flip-flopped for enter/back. And obviously the import PSP will only play Region 2 movies... but I've still never bought a PSP UMD Movie, just converted my DVD's to play on the system.

MERKMAN said:
As long as you don't have the alt. motherboard, no. Just the O and X buttons being flip-flopped for enter/back. And obviously the import PSP will only play Region 2 movies... but I've still never bought a PSP UMD Movie, just converted my DVD's to play on the system.

Is TA-082 common on newer US models? Mine is a TA, but its Japanese.
So how would I go about getting 3.02 on mine? I still want to homebrew, currently running 2.71 with Devhook emulating 1.5. Is there a way to emulate 1.5 on a TA-082 with 3.02?

LeviathanZERO said:
Is TA-082 common on newer US models? Mine is a TA, but its Japanese.
So how would I go about getting 3.02 on mine? I still want to homebrew, currently running 2.71 with Devhook emulating 1.5. Is there a way to emulate 1.5 on a TA-082 with 3.02?
You can actually downgrade a 2.71 TA-082 now, thanks to Dark Alex (just released today). More info: Link

Then after that update to 3.02OE-A, then patch over to 3.02OE-B.

dj_2004 said:
You can actually downgrade a 2.71 TA-082 now, thanks to Dark Alex (just released today). More info: Link

Sweetness.
BTW, do you know the differences between HEN-C and HEN-D? Im using C to exploit the back door, but I never really looked into D.

LeviathanZERO said:
Sweetness.
BTW, do you know the differences between HEN-C and HEN-D? Im using C to exploit the back door, but I never really looked into D.
No clue as the highest my PSP ever was was 2.0. Good luck, updating to 3.02OE should be a breeze.

dj_2004 said:
No clue as the highest my PSP ever was was 2.0. Good luck, updating to 3.02OE should be a breeze.

So let me get this straight, 3.02OE-B is able to run homebrew withOUT emulation of previous firmware?

LeviathanZERO said:
So let me get this straight, 3.02OE-B is able to run homebrew withOUT emulation of previous firmware?
3.02OE-B is indeed able to run homebrew without emulation because it uses parts of 1.5 and 3.02 and mixes them together.

dj_2004 said:
3.02OE-B is indeed able to run homebrew without emulation because it uses parts of 1.5 and 3.02 and mixes them together.

Oh shit, Props to the hacker that did this.
That is awesome. I will so do this..... but tomorrow. I got too much on my memcard to do a format right now.

Upgraded to 3.02 OE-B...hotness. The recovery mode is a nice touch too. <3

Stayed up most of the night writing a tool to transfer between the PBP save format and ePSXe save format, because I'm not starting a whole new game on the PSP. Keep your eyes peeled!

movax said:
Upgraded to 3.02 OE-B...hotness. The recovery mode is a nice touch too. <3

Stayed up most of the night writing a tool to transfer between the PBP save format and ePSXe save format, because I'm not starting a whole new game on the PSP. Keep your eyes peeled!
Awesome, I'm sure many people will love that.

Seems CWCheat figured it out with Rev. E. Now supports epsxe saves.

dj_2004 said:

I have a TA-082, just did this, and it worked perfectly(thank god). GT2 on my psp here i come!:D

LeviathanZERO said:
Oh shit, Props to the hacker that did this.
That is awesome. I will so do this..... but tomorrow. I got too much on my memcard to do a format right now.

lol, hacker sounds funny, more of a programmer I would say

Back