pssst.....10e.......in here.......FP241VW....lets discuss

wrangler

2[H]4U
I've seen you reccomend this monitor a couple of times now, in fact you mentioned it to me as well in another thread.

I've seen in your experience that input lag is low but Digital Versus shows much higher. I think that DV could be erroneous because even though they have numbers in the face off there is no actual review of the monitor on their site that I could find.

I have of course searched FP241VW on the web but no one really talks about input lag. Only ghosting which the monitor seems to do well with.

How are the blacks? Do you lose detail? Backlight? Did yours have any stuck pixels?

I would be very nervous because I cannot buy it locally. Do you suggest buying it through BenQ or another retailer.

This looks like it could be the one. I appreciate any help you can give me.

I've seen you reccomend this monitor a couple of times now, in fact you mentioned it to me as well in another thread.

I've seen in your experience that input lag is low but Digital Versus shows much higher. I think that DV could be erroneous because even though they have numbers in the face off there is no actual review of the monitor on their site that I could find.

I have of course searched FP241VW on the web but no one really talks about input lag. Only ghosting which the monitor seems to do well with.

How are the blacks? Do you lose detail? Backlight? Did yours have any stuck pixels?

I would be very nervous because I cannot by it locally. Do you suggest buying it through BenQ or another retailer.

Have you tried sending him a private message?

Well.......
Don't wanna go that far. He can come in if he wants. I hope he does. Hell, anybody with this monitor.

I must be blind. I just found the official FP241VW thread here on the H and I am reading it now. :D

I want to pull the trigger on this monitor so bad, but I have gotten to the point where I have probably over-researched and saturated my thought-process with doubt for every scenario.

My only focus is gaming. Fast-Paced FPS gaming. After reading so many posts on the internet, there is so much hatred for TN that I figure I want to try a better panel. I hated the stand this monitor comes with, but thanks to 10e I should be able to pull it off and use an VESA arm. The only thing left to worry about is input lag like the OP. I too got kind of scared away by the digitalvs inputlag graph.

Part of me just wants to get the TN BenQ (the G-model so I can have VESA arm) and wait until new technology comes out for higher-end gaming LCD monitors. Then I have to worry about higher risk of backlight bleed, color, etc.

Monitor shopping is horrible after finding info sites like these haha.

I want to pull the trigger on this monitor so bad, but I have gotten to the point where I have probably over-researched and saturated my thought-process with doubt for every scenario.

My only focus is gaming. Fast-Paced FPS gaming. After reading so many posts on the internet, there is so much hatred for TN that I figure I want to try a better panel. I hated the stand this monitor comes with, but thanks to 10e I should be able to pull it off and use an VESA arm. The only thing left to worry about is input lag like the OP. I too got kind of scared away by the digitalvs inputlag graph.

Part of me just wants to get the TN BenQ (the G-model so I can have VESA arm) and wait until new technology comes out for higher-end gaming LCD monitors. Then I have to worry about higher risk of backlight bleed, color, etc.

Monitor shopping is horrible after finding info sites like these haha.

Hahahah same here man! :p I think there will never ever be a "perfect" monitor. Sure some come close to but there will always be one person finding out one litte defect that will or won't affect others. Forums are good and bad! :D

I have over researched for sure.

NKDietrich, I don't blame you for feeling wierd after coming in here. I am normally a decisive person who buys and tries out hardware on a whim but searching for a monitor has turned me into a little girl wanting to have her hand held.

I have been to every retail store in San Antonio following the advice to check them out for yourself but they run them on what must be a freakin 15 or 20 way splitter, vga input, and they all look like ass. The TN's weren't as bad as people say but I still don't want one.

I am bleery eyed, shocked and confused...........

And not "magical" weird either I'm betting.

I came into this thread because my wife is watching Canadian Idol. So I'm feeling pretty good now.

I feel kind of weird after coming into this thread... I dunno.

There's not a whole lot to discuss really :)

Pros:

1) DVI low input lag at 1920x1080/1920x1200. I cannot detect it. In clone mode with a CRT I cannot detect it. Next to the G2400W or V2400W I cannot detect it.. DV had an old firmware. They are always on the high side, but the discrepancy is huge, and I don't think I'm that big of a screw up, nor are they. With lower resolutions there is, but just use video card scaling and input lag stays super low. 9ms average I think I measured.

2) Inputs, inputs, inputs. Second only to Dell 2408WFP, and handles every one of them as well or better. Not a big deal any more, but this is the original 1080p multi-function monitor, and one of the few that does 1920x1080 with Xbox 360 over VGA. Also HDMI and component have extra color controls like hue (tint) and saturation for augmenting color levels. Useful to customize the image.

3) Smooth panel with not too much grainy/sparkly anti-glare. Probably the best I've ever seen in this regard.

4) Standard Gamut. No neon reds and greens. I forgot how big a deal this is until I set my wide gamut monitor to native mode/gamma. Damn that red looks like glowing blood and those leaves look like I just smoked them. No offence to wide gamut lovers, but wide gamut is fine if you are a Photoshop guy using Adobe RGB images, but not for 90% of the folks out there. Wide gamut is often marketed, but rarely that useful.

5) That retarded, stupid "Perfect motion" black frame insertion is actually somewhat useful. I started using it and while it gives a flicker in normal desktop use, it's not totally useless when gaming, and seems to clarify motion a fair bit. It's also really good for that PixPerAn reading test. I score a 13 on this monitor, and the best I could on any other was 8. (The higher the better)

6) Black crush is pretty well controlled and the backlight is pretty consistent. Mine had one seemingly stuck pixel. I massaged it a bit and it went away. It never showed up with black backgrounds strangely. It comes back once in a blue moon. One wipe and it's gone.

7) It's generally a pretty pleasant image. Not much anti-glare "dirty look" to it. Decent black levels (though not class leading any more whatsoever), a fairly wide brightness range, and fairly good saturation. For the most part I prefer it to TN.

Cons:

1) OSD is farking slow. Nice thing is you set it and forget it, and only switch inputs, which happens quickly.

2) Stand. Good thing I took it off. I'd rather look at PCB with buttons on it than the stand. Though admittedly it wouldn't bother me that much if I had more desk space.

3) Used to have issues with PS3 on HDMI port and 3870 video board on DVI port. Wouldn't display 1080p with PS3. Seemingly fixed now though, so it may have been PS3 or ATI. Never an issue with nVidia though.

4) DVI color calibration is strange. HDMI, VGA and component all have slightly better color calibration. This isn't a big deal unless you absolutely have to have perfect color, but I thought I'd mention it.

5) The build date dilemma. It used to be more important because now it's unlikely you'll get older stock, but anything prior to April 2007 had problems with some of the inputs (not DVI though) and likely had more input lag. Mine is December 2007 and it's been (mostly) very good.

6) MVA text isn't quite as sharp as TN. This is a problem with any VA monitor though, not unique to the BenQ. What's nice about the BenQ is that you can turn up the sharpness one notch and make it sharper without giving it a halos.

So either the monitor is long in the tooth or a mature product. To be honest, I'm thinking more of the latter.

I won't lie. If the 2408WFP had half the input lag it currently does, I'd probably have bought it instead because it has more inputs (and I can use them all), but outside of that, I don't feel like I'm missing much. Maybe slightly better blacks and contrast, but also the BenQ is not as eye searing bright. At brightness 30, the monitor is about 165 cdm/2 white level which is very comfortable.

Once lower than 30, you get the onset of some black crush, but otherwise dark details are pretty good, and I don't feel the typical VA black crush is as evident with this screen.

Hope that helps.

So now do you open your coat and I get to see the watches? :)

I would be very nervous because I cannot buy it locally. Do you suggest buying it through BenQ or another retailer.

I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

OK

Last thing before I head over and pre-order. Is there any whispers of them changing from the A-MVA panel during this hiatus? Wouldn't make any sense but............just sayin.

So in a nutshell would you say this is better than the V2400W strictly for PS3/Blu-Ray use and only usage of HDMI? Or would it be the V2400W that would be the better of the two? Do both of these have the Aspect feature?

OK
Screw it.
I pulled the trigger.
Ships on the 15th.
I think I'm gonna be sick.

All I know is it better be the same freakin panel with hopefully updated firmware.

I also bought the FP241 on Ten-Ee's recommendation, but returned it, not because he was wrong, but it felt too small for me.

Back