PSU bought the farm, looking for a new one. Seasonic 660w Platinum or Corsair AX850?

Ricedaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all,

I have been using a OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w for the past few years in my main PC and it went kaput yesterday so I am in the market for a replacement. System is a Intel Core i5-750, MSI P55-GD80, and a Radeon 6970 so I don't need a 1000w or the like.

I'm looking at either the Seasonic 660w Platinum or the Corsair AX850 for about the same price and the reviews for both are quite good, giving the edge to the Seasonic. I know Seasonic is the OEM for the Corsair PSU, but I have also heard of the coil whine that i'm not stoked about. If you all could recommend something else in the same vein, I will consider them as well.

Thanks for the input.

Might as well go with the Corsair AX850 because moar watts.

*slap* Shut up.

The 660 is going to be more efficient with your load, but frankly both are over kill. You only need around 400-450w.

In my opinion, you should go with the Seasonic. Even the largest single GPU would be very safe within 750W. And unless you are overclocking, that's even less power. The Platinum will save you money in the long run. I imagine either one would perform just fine.

But if I were in your shoes, I'd look at a 650W Corsair unit myself. The small amount of money you'd save on an 80 Plus Platinum unit is frankly not worth it if it has known coil whine issues.

650W Corsair.

Corsair does not make their own PSUs. If you end up getting a AX650, you're getting a Seasonic X-650 PSU.

In my opinion, you should go with the Seasonic. Even the largest single GPU would be very safe within 750W. And unless you are overclocking, that's even less power. The Platinum will save you money in the long run. I imagine either one would perform just fine.

But if I were in your shoes, I'd look at a 650W Corsair unit myself. The small amount of money you'd save on an 80 Plus Platinum unit is frankly not worth it if it has known coil whine issues.

650W Corsair.

You guys suggesting Corsair PSUs to avoid Seasonic Coil Whine issues are friggan retarded. Do so research, find that Corsairs high end units are majority made by Seasonic. then do alittle more research and find coil whine can occur on ANY PART INSIDE YOUR PC. Get a fucking clue.

PS: Even that largest Single GPU (The GTX 480) can be run on much less than a 750w PSU. I'm running one on a mid ranged GS600.

This Gaming PCs need 750w of power supply myth is just getting out of hand.

You guys suggesting Corsair PSUs to avoid Seasonic Coil Whine issues are friggan retarded. Do so research, find that Corsairs high end units are majority made by Seasonic. then do alittle more research and find coil whine can occur on ANY PART INSIDE YOUR PC. Get a fucking clue.

PS: Even that largest Single GPU (The GTX 480) can be run on much less than a 750w PSU. I'm running one on a mid ranged GS600.

This Gaming PCs need 750w of power supply myth is just getting out of hand.

The reason I mentioned 750W is that it's nice to have a little headroom if overclocking. But my actual suggestion was a Corsair 650W. Learn to post with a little more discretion, you come off as insulting and rude.

650 watt is overkill even with overclocking. Try 550-600 watts for an overclocked 3930k and Titan. Single CPU and GPU systems need 600 watts at most, period. Unless they're running exotic phase change/TEC cooling. Or abnormally large amounts of hard drives (20+).

I went ahead and picked up the Seasonic Platinum 660w. I know I don't need that much power, but the reviews are glowing but this one will last through a few builds.

No coil whine so far, it's much much MUCH quieter than the OCZ it replaced.

The reason I mentioned 750W is that it's nice to have a little headroom if overclocking. But my actual suggestion was a Corsair 650W. Learn to post with a little more discretion, you come off as insulting and rude.

Then I came off exactly as intended.

while i never ever had a bad Corsair PSU theyre very good ...Seasonic units however are like they made out of kryptonite...i have a x-850 gold one and its fan almost never spins because it simply doesnt have to...its scary .
Plus when i asked Seasonic costumer service if i could have an extra PCI cable because mine was losing its sleeving (because of my carelessness) they said ...no problem.. and i got that cable send in 4 days from germany to where i live (turkey) for free

I think you'll be very happy with that 660. Anything beats that OCZ psu you had. My brother has been through 3 in the past two years. they work well at the start, but seem to degrade very quickly.

I think you'll be very happy with that 660. Anything beats that OCZ psu you had. My brother has been through 3 in the past two years. they work well at the start, but seem to degrade very quickly.

My ocz psu (650w, not sure what model, I keep it in a windowless PC, edit check sig) has performed like a champ for almost 2 years now. Not all ocz's are pos'.

So far I am extremely pleased. It's absolutely silent and I never realized how much noise the OCZ added to the build. The Seasonic just screams "premium".

That being said, the OCZ was a champ...it ran for almost exactly three years and I only paid around $50 after rebate so it's all good. You get what you pay for, right?

My ocz psu (650w, not sure what model, I keep it in a windowless PC, edit check sig) has performed like a champ for almost 2 years now. Not all ocz's are pos'.

The 3 he had so many issues with, were the semi-modular units. Not sure exactly which models. Which he didn't seem to have any issues with his RMA's.
I'm sure not all are complete crap, but his experience with them puts them in question to me.

They're most likely the ModxStream units, which were mediocre.

You guys suggesting Corsair PSUs to avoid Seasonic Coil Whine issues are friggan retarded. Do so research, find that Corsairs high end units are majority made by Seasonic.

Actually, only the AX are made by Seasonic. Or as you would put it: "get a fucking clue." ;)

Actually, only the AX are made by Seasonic. Or as you would put it: "get a fucking clue." ;)

Other then you know, some of the HX...

And TX...

and VX...

and CX...

Or have they changed all their lines within the last couple months?

Your rig doesn't need a 750W PSU, hell, even a 660W PSU is a waste. If you have money to spend, go with the X 660 since your rig will reach the PSU's sweet spot at which the efficiency is peaked. Either way, you can't go wrong with any of them.

And TX...

and VX...

and CX...

They have changed their lines (OEM-wise) over the years. That list is historical. There is no current VX series model at all; that line was replaced by the CX line. And none of the currently-in-production PSUs in the CX and TX lines are manufactured by Seasonic.

Of the currently produced models in the HX line, only those HX models up to 650W are manufactured by Seasonic.

You ALL need to keep Civil and knock off the Negative Slamming, Comments and Attitudes, Seriously! It is a POLICY of this Forum, and I for one go along with the Rules of the Forum. IF You just have to comment then make a statement but keep the NEGATIVE things to yourselves please. Good Grief Charlie Brown!!!

I've had the 660W Seasonic for a few months. It did have the high-pitched whine in standby, but nothing I couldn't live with.

A few days ago it started making an atrocious low-pitch coil buzz, which for he most part goes away under load. It's the loudest thing in my system by far, I can even hear it over my tunes. I expect a little coil whine (my 7970 does it, most rigs I've built had a little noise from somewhere) but this is ridiculous. Replacing it will be a huge PITA... (I'll have to remove my radiator in the process, cabling, etc).

And TX...

and VX...

and CX...

Yes, and not recently. Originally everything was Seasonic but they've moved on.

there's a website that shows every single model and who makes it, will link it when I find it.

And TX...

and VX...

and CX...

More than a couple of months ago. ;-)

CX was never Seasonic. VX was discontinued years ago. TX was Seasonic two generations ago (then CWT, then Chicony). And only first generation HX was Seasonic. They're all CWT now (couple years).

More than a couple of months ago. ;-)

CX was never Seasonic. VX was discontinued years ago. TX was Seasonic two generations ago (then CWT, then Chicony). And only first generation HX was Seasonic. They're all CWT now (couple years).

Welp shit. Guess I need to keep up on it abit more eh?

Regardless, in this thread, we are talking about the AX series, which is made by Seasonic. Telling people to avoid the Seasonic and point them at the Corsair is pretty dumb. We also go through Seasonic PSUs like water at my shop, and I can assure you that the coil whine issues a woefully over exaggerated. SS-350ETs in most base units, unless I got a deal on CX-430s. And either AX series or X series in the top end platinum units. I've had one unit have a whining issue, and I run it in my bench PC because it only did it with that customers GTX 570. With my benches GTX260, it's a church mouse.

Don't torpedo an entire brand because of a minor issue. It's foolish, and in this case removing one of the best PSU makers from your decision. All they way up and down Seasonics line, you can't go wrong, and that is a difficult thing to say for any brand.

PS: *cough* CX400 was a seasonic *cough*

Back