PSU & General Help

itzhobbes

Weaksauce
Well after my vacation trip to visit my girlfriend I can no longer build the system that I wanted. I kinda had to go budget somewhat. Wanted to keep it under $1000 but still have a system that I could upgrade down the line.

DVD: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05 - OEM
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
RAM: WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail
PSU: Thermaltake W0093RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 500W Power Supply - Retail
CASE: Antec 900
VCARD: Here I was thinking of getting a EVGA 8600GT then using their "Step-Up" program to get a 8800GT. I may consider waiting a little longer to save up and just get the 8800GT.

Heres where I need help, most people on this forum suggest Corsairs's PSU but its a bit more expensive then the one I choose. My choice was the Thermaltake PSU and wanted to know if they are a reputable and trust worthy brand? Is the PSU that I choose sufficient enough to power this system and its components? Also the particular RAM I chose was because Tom's Hardware choose that brand for one of their budget builds so I thought I would give it a try. If there is something of comparable price and value to the RAM I choose, I'm open to swapping that part in for the one I chose. Thank you in advance for all your advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it!

My choice was the Thermaltake PSU and wanted to know if they are a reputable and trust worthy brand?

Is the PSU that I choose sufficient enough to power this system and its components?

Also the particular RAM I chose was because Tom's Hardware choose that brand for one of their budget builds so I thought I would give it a try.

Not unless the PSU is from Tt's Toughpower lineup. Otherwise, ditch it. While it may be able to power your system, its not recommended. If you're on a tight budget, get the XClio Goodpower 500W, made by CWT (same OEM for the Tt Toughpower line). If you have a bit more cash, check out the Enhance 5150GH, XClio Stablepower 500W, or Corsair VX lineup.

That RAM is fine. If you don't mind rebates, the Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 for $90 - $40MIR would be better, especially for your CPU. Check out my sig.

Wait for the vidcard if you want, but the step-up is a good idea, since there should be some 1GB 8800GT cards coming soon... or maybe its just a rumor, lol.

Back