PSU Noisey

Neex

n00b
Hey guys, About a week ago my PSU has become fairly loud where its distracting me from what im doing on my PC. Sounds like my fan is working overtime and sounds like it is hitting something or its wobbling, I cant really describe it because ive never had a PSU do this before. Is it possible that this is happening because its dirty, fan is dying or does it mean the PSU is dying? My psu is what is in my sig, Antec 750w earthwatts, only 1-2 years old. Any suggestions? Im sorry if what im asking doesnt make any sense. Im at work right now trying tabbing in and out of programs. Ill try to respond asap with any questions. Thanks!!

Is the fan dirty? Hit it with some compressed air. If its not, the fan is bad and you need to replace the PSU or get it RMA'd unless you don't care about opening it up and putting a new fan in.

I'd invest in a new PSU, one that has a hybrid fan that only turns on depending on load.

Boy, lot's of early "get rid of it" replies. I'd firstly see if it's just the fan going bad, slap another one in there for a few bucks verses replacing it.

Don't be afraid to air blast it and blow out any dust...then don't worry about taking it apart if that doesn't fix the issue. A new power supply can always be purchased... The experience will teach you that many people are quick to go out and buy a new one when in fact it just needs some maintenance. So many power supplies at many places that they will give you a deal on a used one that someone else tossed away for a newer model...

Ok im going to try the air first, then if that doesnt work ill go with the fan replacement. Worse case senerio ill get another psu lol. Thank guys!

I'm going to say don't open the PSU. the hold up caps do carry enough juice to stop your heart.

1-2 years means it's still under warranty. Blow it out, and if the fan still makes noise, RMA it. Don't open it unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Agreed with the above.
Although if it is out of warranty, its not difficult to replace the fan yourself, I can guide you through it assuming that giving it a good clean doesnt work.

Are there multiple types of noise with different timing or intervals.
ie a click, a rumble, squeaks?

I'm going to say don't open the PSU. the hold up caps do carry enough juice to stop your heart.

Any decent electronics have resistors across the caps to drain them over a few minutes when not in use. I've never heard of this being an issue. Especially since you rarely have to remove any circuitry to replace a fan in a PSU. Just be cautious and it should be fine. Of course this is completely up to the OP's discretion.

Any decent electronics have resistors across the caps to drain them over a few minutes when not in use. I've never heard of this being an issue. Especially since you rarely have to remove any circuitry to replace a fan in a PSU. Just be cautious and it should be fine. Of course this is completely up to the OP's discretion.

Thus why I said "unless you know what your doing." Agreed that they should only hold the charge for a few moments, but depending on if the PSU is truly functioning properly and/or if the ground is bad, it could give you quite the wake up call.

Update. I turned on my PC to play a round of league before trying to clean out my psu and then realized, It was completely silent. I'm at a loss here. I'm still going to try to clean it out later tonight and see what happens. Hopefully it doesn't make it loud again lol.

Perhaps its temp related.
I've got an old gfx cards fan that rattles when its cold.

Probably a loose wire, and movement causing it to go in and out of the fan?

Probably a loose wire, and movement causing it to go in and out of the fan?
That is what i was initally thinking, Since I built the computer, I had to move it a couple times to put some extra fans in and do cable management. Bad thing is I removed a fan from the case thinking it was the culprit. So now i have to move the case again lol.

Back