PSU or Motherboard

leetskeet

Limp Gawd
i noticed the light on the 2nd port of my router was off so i checked my other comp to make sure the power cord was in and blah blah. when i pressed the power button i get nothing. no fans, no beeps, nada. i've disconnected everything except power to the cpu and mb and get the same results. i've also checked the connections on the power button itself. i know they say these apevia qpack psus dont last long but shit ive only had it running for maybe a total of 20 hours since its only for packettracer and a few other school things. so the specs are
apevia qpack with included psu
foxconn g31mv
ocz 4gb ddr2800
evga7600gs
celeron DC...no oc

whats the verdict everybody?

The verdict is that even if it isn't the PSU, you should get another one. Apevia PSUs are complete crap without exception, and if you stick with them, you'll be incurring a big risk of damaging your hardware.

However, if you want to see whether or not the PSU is still functional, try the paperclip trick:
-Take a metal paperclip, unfold it completely.
-Disconnect the PSU from your system entirely, and plug it into the wall. Turn the power switch to the off position.
-Take the 20 or 24-pin motherboard power connector, and plug one end of the paperclip into the pin attached to the green wire and the other end into one of the pins connected to a black wire.
-Flip the switch on the back of the PSU.

That should cause the PSU to start up and the fan should start spinning. If that doesn't happen, the PSU is dead.

tried the paperclip and got nothing...i ordered the cheapest corsair psu newegg had. thanks for the advice...i'm glad it wasnt my motherboard.

tried the paperclip and got nothing...i ordered the cheapest corsair psu newegg had. thanks for the advice...i'm glad it wasnt my motherboard.

Hopefully that Apevia didn't kill any parts when it died.

But something I want to add to Zero82z's instruction: attach a fan or a dying hard drive to the PSU and then do the paperclip trick. Some PSUs need a small load on them before they can startup.

i was just looking at it since its outside of the case and a piece of solder fell out onto my lap. haha.

heres some pictures of the back of the pcb. is this wad of crap considered acceptable in consumer products? i'm not familiar with whats considered shoddy work.

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

Depends on the rest of it, but usually not. That's considered sloppy soldering.

But something I want to add to Zero82z's instruction: attach a fan or a dying hard drive to the PSU and then do the paperclip trick. Some PSUs need a small load on them before they can startup.

i attached a 120mm fan and still nothing...not even buzz. i remember dropping a pair of scissors on top of the case right where the psu would be. maybe thats what knocked the piece of solder loose that fell out it. oh well.

Back