PSU squeals when running 3DMark06

defiant007

2[H]4U
So I recently built a brand spanking new rig which I have been doing a lot of gaming on trying to get through the backlog of games I havent played for the last 2 years or so.

Haven't had any problems so far, although have noticed that the PSU was randomly making very faint squealing noises, which occasionally worsened whilst gaming. I assumed it might have been a problem with the PSU fan. Whilst slightly annoying, it hasn't been enough to motivate me to look into RMA'ing given the hassle of being w/out a PSU for god knows how long.

Last night I decide that it might be a good idea to run 3DMark06 just to make sure that everything is running at full speed. To my surprise the PSU began emitting incredibly loud squealing noises during the loading of each test, but not during each test, in which case it seems to me that it's not just the PSU fan.

It currently does not impact on my gaming experience, but I am concerned this may be a prelude to the PSU completely failing.

Specs are as follows:

Silverstone Strider 850W continuous PSU
Q9450 cpu
Gigabyte X48
2 gigs DDR3
GTX280

Anyone have any views as to whether I should get the PSU replaced?

I'm not convinced that it's the psu since video cards can squeal like a pig too. I'd pull the psu out the case and see if it allows you to track down the source of the noise.

Putting my ear to the case I am pretty sure the noise is being emitted by the PSU. I may pull off the side of the case just to confirm that.

its the graphics card lol. its just electrical noise. Its not an issue unless its really loud, but if you want you can try and rma it.

and ive never had a card that didnt make noise during ati tool, so unless its wicked loud and unbearable dont worry.

I'm inclined to say this is normal as both my Corsair HX 620 watt and Antec Earth Watts 380
make the same noise when loading each test during 3Dmark06 (but just like you, not when actually running each test or during any gaming).

It's not a loud noise but it's clearly audible in a silent room.

I've had both systems running significantly overclocked for months and this remains a feature (again only in 06 as far as i recall).

If you asked your PSU manufacturer they will tell you it's normal or that it in no way harms your PSU or is no way a symptom of a bad PSU.

Through my own experience, i'm inclined to believe them.

Back