Public Computer Software

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
Anyone have any free or freeware public computer software recommendations? Basically I am looking for a piece of software which will give limited access to the computer (Windows XP) and also block specific websites. An additional feature that would be nice would be to destroy any sensitive record/history whenever the browser or session is closed.

Another possible solution would be a piece of software, where whenever the computer is restarted, it revamps the hard drive to a specific way. (or maybe not every restart, but when we restart and hit a certain button, like F8 and it will revamp/restore the hard drive to original way).

Any recommendations, clues, questions? :)

Very interesting. From quickly browsing that page it looks like it is a major testing/setup to get up properly. Do they make pre-configured setups for what we intend to use it for? Or can you give some type of general background or tips? :)

Not really, all you want to know is accessible from that link. If I post anything here, it would be cut and paste from the available docs.:p

We currently use it for a public kiosk at a bank and its proven to be quite useful in keeping the machine "clean". We schedule a nightly reboot via batch file so the staff doesn't have to worry about it.

Anyone have any free or freeware public computer software recommendations? Basically I am looking for a piece of software which will give limited access to the computer (Windows XP) and also block specific websites. An additional feature that would be nice would be to destroy any sensitive record/history whenever the browser or session is closed.

Another possible solution would be a piece of software, where whenever the computer is restarted, it revamps the hard drive to a specific way. (or maybe not every restart, but when we restart and hit a certain button, like F8 and it will revamp/restore the hard drive to original way).

Any recommendations, clues, questions? :)

I know this is somewhat of an old thread, but thought I'd post in it. The tech school I went to used Centurion. While it isn't free, it reghosts (or something like that) the hard drive after it reboots. It really cut down on the spyware on the public computers, as well as stopped the progression of viruses on the network.

Ive used the MS toolkit, it does work, though the first time setting it up is an adventure, every time after that isn't bad.
I've also used Deep Freeze, Much easier to set up, runs on nearly any version of windows, but it isn't free

Has anyone done the MS Toolkit on like 20+ computers? How did you ghost it to each of the computers with different Microsoft Product Key Code?

Back