Puget Custom Computers

flurp

Weaksauce
I'm interested in feedback regarding Puget Custom Computers www.pugetsystems.com

I've been looking hard at a number of the boutique makers. In my gaming history I've owned 2 Voodoo's, 2 DIY rigs, one from a local dealer (my first) and had extensive interaction with two Alienware rigs (a good friend bought from them twice).

From what I'm reading and my observations, what I'm seeing from Puget most closely resembles the vibe from the old Voodoo culture. Jon Bach's involvement with the company reminds me of Rahul Sood. I actually bought my first Voodoo from Rahul personally and he followed up with me directly and continued to be omnipresent on their forums. This is the level of involvement I see from Mr. Bach at Puget. I like that. I also love the ratings and comments from their staff on the detailed component breakdowns. It implies that there is a company culture that has an engaged staff.

The reviews I've seen so far are beyond good. The resellerratings in particular are off the chart.

I've reached the point where I'm leaning to Puget. Voodoo has simply priced themselves out of the market for anyone but the wealthy. While I loved their product, service and culture, their business model has changed and no longer includes the vast majority of consumers.

Puget is now taking orders with the 780i, which was a minor concern for me initially as they appared to be a couple of weeks off the pace when it came to adding some new components but I'm not a hasty person as a rule, so it's not that big a deal.

Couple of minor quibbles. Why charge 5 bucks for Arctic Silver? Just use the stuff and cram an extra five bucks in somewhere if you feel the need. Also, why sell t-shirts. Don't most boutiques just give you one?

The warranty is a bit of a shocker. I know from personal experience that in house customer service has incredible value, but the parts are all covered by the factory. Comparable warranty plans from their competition have them lagging the market on cost/value as far as I can tell. On a 3 year warranty, Velocity Micro is 75 less, Alienware is 125 less, even Falcon Northwest is 25 less (boggle). A 3 year bumper to bumper is a must for me, so I'd pay it, but it would leave me grumbling a bit.

I won't complain too much about price. Yes, they're a bit high, but not so far out of line that they're not competitive. I did, after all, buy two voodoos, so I understand the benefits that come with that cost.

If anyone has any personal experience they'd like to share, I'm all ears.

I'm interested in feedback regarding Puget Custom Computers www.pugetsystems.com

I also love the ratings and comments from their staff on the detailed component breakdowns. It implies that there is a company culture that has an engaged staff.

Jon and I are both active on [H] forums; I am moreso, because I'm very comfortable here. Puget's staff is more intimately involved in the day-to-day operations than any other company I've ever worked for--everyone has input, and everyone is driven to produce a good product because we all have a personal stake in the end result. We love what we do, and we really hope that the customer can see that in the computer we produce.

Puget is now taking orders with the 780i, which was a minor concern for me initially as they appared to be a couple of weeks off the pace when it came to adding some new components but I'm not a hasty person as a rule, so it's not that big a deal.

We're very funny about testing the components we put into our systems, and sometimes, we simply won't release a motherboard, video card, etc for sale until we're satisfied with the results of our development process. Besides that, the 780i is proving hard to obtain, even for OEMs. We've got a shipment coming in next week, but wow...it's been fun getting batches of those boards.

Couple of minor quibbles. Why charge 5 bucks for Arctic Silver? Just use the stuff and cram an extra five bucks in somewhere if you feel the need. Also, why sell t-shirts. Don't most boutiques just give you one?

We actually purchase and use Artic Silver Ceramique--which retails for roughly $10 for a tiny tube on New Egg. I think there are plenty of people who just use whatever compound comes with the components, but we don't.

Companies who give away t-shirts with their products give away cheaply made shirts, usually--one size, one color, one style so they can buy them in huge bulk. We buy nice polos and shirts made out of really thick material for our employees, and we offer them for sale to anyone who wants one at roughly HALF of what it cost to make them. We often do give them away as incentives, we just don't advertise it. :)

The warranty is a bit of a shocker. I know from personal experience that in house customer service has incredible value, but the parts are all covered by the factory. Comparable warranty plans from their competition have them lagging the market on cost/value as far as I can tell. On a 3 year warranty, Velocity Micro is 75 less, Alienware is 125 less, even Falcon Northwest is 25 less (boggle). A 3 year bumper to bumper is a must for me, so I'd pay it, but it would leave me grumbling a bit.

Ah, and here's where a lot of people get confused. Our warranty functions basically like everyone else's does--a part breaks, we replace it, for the life of the warranty you've selected. However, where we differ...we offer free lifetime labor. After the parts warranty expires, we'll fix your PC for free excluding price of parts. So, yeah, those companies are cheaper, but once your warranty is over with...well, that's pretty much it, and that's what makes us worth it.

I spend a lot of time here at [H], cruising around and helping people when I can...feel free to hit me on the forum, or to contact me via phone, email, or whatever is most convenient.

(A lot of people know me here, both from Puget and from my former job, and I'm sure they can provide you with character references so that you know I'm not faking all this enthusiasm...I really love what I do. :D)

I'm interested in feedback regarding Puget Custom Computers
I don't have any personal experience with Puget Computers, but I can tell you that among all of the boutique dealers (AVA Direct, Velocity Micro, Maingear, Puget, etc.), Heather Taylor from Puget is the one that is most online in this forum, and is always very friendly and helpful :)

Gary

Ah, and here's where a lot of people get confused. Our warranty functions basically like everyone else's does--a part breaks, we replace it, for the life of the warranty you've selected. However, where we differ...we offer free lifetime labor. After the parts warranty expires, we'll fix your PC for free excluding price of parts. So, yeah, those companies are cheaper, but once your warranty is over with...well, that's pretty much it, and that's what makes us worth it.

I a little fuzzy on the value add of the lifetime service. I'd be curious to know how many people really do pay to ship back a 3yr+ old machine if there was no parts warranty. It's likely that most of the target customers for these upper end boutiques wouldn't avail themselves of that service.

As to the warranty itself, I have also been looking at Falcon Northwest's lower end builds. Their warranty also most closely mirrors Puget's in cost.

Warranty Duration

Puget: 3 years
Falcon: 3 years

Cost:
Puget $325.50
Falcon $295.00 on Talon systems (included at no (visible) charge on Mach V systems)

Lifetime Labor
Puget: Yes
Falcon: Yes

Free Shipping (on repairs)
Puget: 30 days only
Falcon: 1 year both ways, Years 2-3 one way paid

So, while Puget's build price is less, and assuming equal component and build quality, the warranty is perhaps something you guys might want to look at.

I think from my overall post, it's clear I am very interested in Puget and I think you appear to offer a great product and quality service, but I did have some concerns regarding the warranty since that is, essentially, the most important piece for most of the Non-DIY set.

I realize that this message board thing isn't exactly the preferred way to address these questions, but since it's here and you are willing to take on these questions, I'm happy to ask them. =) Hope it's not coming across as argumentative, because that's not my intent at all.

If I ever win the lottery or get a big some of money I would love to buy one of these prebuilt machines. Even though I love putting my own together having good support and zero time finding out what the problem is, is worth it. I have a question does puget burn in there systems before shipping them if so how long is the burn in time?

Also nice polo's I would probably get one but need big boy sizes :-P

I'm a big girl, m'self...and the XL fits just fine...lol.

I definitely don't mind answering questions here...it's what I'm here for, and I'm honest about what we have going for us and where we're deficient. I'm not sales...I just hang out here because I like the people. :p

Regarding lifetime labor...there's a lot of people who continuously upgrade their base builds--most people, if they pay $3K for a computer aren't going to throw the PC away after the parts warranty expires. They either give them to another family member or find a secondary use for them. That's where the value really comes in...things break over time, we fix them for you.

Also...FNW's lifetime technical support is limited to phone only. It does not cover labor. We offer both phone and labor support.

So, yeah, FNW does pay for shipping both ways for the first year. Puget pays for the cost of shipping the PC back to you after the first thirty days, but often we make exception depending on the circumstances. I suppose we're comparable to each other, we just have different features that might appeal to one person over another.

Thanks Heather

I'll be making calls to both over the next few days. Hope people are open new years eve since it's getting late here today.

I really like what I'm seeing and hearing from both companies.

Hey Flurp,

I wanted to toss in a few comments here. Regarding the 780i boards in and release schedules, we're typically a little slower to offer products for sale on our configure pages for a number of reasons. Often the biggest reason that you see other vendors listing products before we do has to do with turnaround times. A company promising 4-6 week delivery times can certainly afford to list an upcoming part a few weeks in advance. Our typical turnaround time is 3-5 days, so it's very hard for us to start offering products before we lock down our distribution.

Regarding warranties - our systems come with Lifetime Service and Labor, with a 1-3 year warranty on the hardware depending on the method you selected. While under hardware warranty, we cover all return shipping costs and during the first 30 days (where a majority of computer hardware related issues crop up), we cover shipping both directions.

I think, rather than compare the specific cost differences on our warranties - I'd recommend that you compare the total costs on both systems including the 3-year that you'd like to have. Establish the differences in services, reputation, experience and hardware, and see if you think the price differential is justified.

I've never bought from FNW, I really don't know their policies or services. From all accounts, they offer a great product, and they've certainly been in the market a long time. (I think I recall that they had a splash advertisement during the original Everquest installation. Man, that must have been a jackpot! :) ) I guess my point isn't to say that either company is superior to the other, just that we each cater to a different niche and offer different product, so you just need to figure out which company is more aligned with your goals.

Finally, I know that when you started this thread, you probably weren't looking to have a bunch of Puget employees jump in. :) I hope that the stuff I wrote above doesn't sound like a pitch - I was really just trying to offer some advice, and explain the release schedule thing.

Oh, and about the shirt, just let me know your quote number and shirt size, and I'll add a free one for you. ;)

-Richard

P.S. - Someone was asking about our burn-in process. It's pretty detailed, and here's a rough overview of our quality-control testing during the production phase: http://www.pugetsystems.com/included.php?inc=checklist

Edit - P.S.S. - A lot of folks will be taking New Years Eve off, but I'll certainly be in the office. My ext is 1000.

I guess my point isn't to say that either company is superior to the other, just that we each cater to a different niche and offer different product, so you just need to figure out which company is more aligned with your goals.

Absolutely. I don't think anyone here will argue that FNW makes an incredible product, and warranties do vary between companies. You'll really just have to figure out what suits you best, and go with it. You won't, I think, be disappointed with either choice.

PS--Richard doesn't have a signature, but he's our General Manager, and he's a level 70 Shaman...LOL.

Only if now they would offer the 64 bit OS Heather and I'll dump my VM onto a back up status and get the Puget. Falcon has it, and so does Maingear, so I'm going to wait myself until the QX9550 cpu arrives and make a decision. Puget sounds pretty good amoung the Boutiques

:D

We actually purchase and use Arctic Silver Ceramique

Maybe I'm a little quirky, but I prefer this stuff over the Silver Arctic Silver.

we offer free lifetime labor. After the parts warranty expires, we'll fix your PC for free excluding price of parts.

*blink*

Yeah, um, if I ever get tired of fixing my own systems...being able to drop off my rig and say "here, fix this" is pretty awesome. :eek:

PS--Richard doesn't have a signature, but he's our General Manager, and he's a level 70 Shaman...LOL.

ICE LANCE! *hides*

Only if now they would offer the 64 bit OS Heather and I'll dump my VM onto a back up status and get the Puget. Falcon has it, and so does Maingear, so I'm going to wait myself until the QX9550 cpu arrives and make a decision. Puget sounds pretty good amoung the Boutiques

We do offer both XP and Vista in 64-bit versions...all you have to do is specify that's what you want when you're ordering. We also install Linux.

The one thing I'd complain about is the pricing on DDR2 memory. $385 for 2x2GB OCZ Reaper above the standard Kingston 2x512MB pack? This only costs $100 if you buy it individually. Some premium is normal, but over 4x the price? OTOH, I dare you to find an OEM shop that doesn't have the same issue right now.

Curious, do you do customization beyond what the configurator shows? For example, if someone wanted to build a cheap no-frills network-booting folding drone.

Maybe I'm a little quirky, but I prefer this stuff over the Silver Arctic Silver.

I do, too. It seems to do a much better job of cooling the CPU, and since we pride ourselves on silent PCs, the less fanage going on, the better.

*blink*

Yeah, um, if I ever get tired of fixing my own systems...being able to drop off my rig and say "here, fix this" is pretty awesome. :eek:

HA! We even fix other manufacturer's PCs for the Seattle metro area (and anyone else who's willing to ship a PC in for repair). It gives the local guys an alternative for service--a lot of people are very uncomfortable with taking their PCs into a large electronics store for repair.

ICE LANCE! *hides*

I have a Hunter, and I echo that sentiment. Early in the game, back when we used to all go to Tarren Mill and PvP, there was a level 60 shaman named Beast who used to come gunning for my poor n00b self. I would literally HIDE from him, and he would just annihilate me. I think he's quit the game, but if I ever see him again....well, he'll probably kill me, but I'll put up a big fight on the way down. LOL. :D

The one thing I'd complain about is the pricing on DDR2 memory. $385 for 2x2GB OCZ Reaper above the standard Kingston 2x512MB pack? This only costs $100 if you buy it individually. Some premium is normal, but over 4x the price? OTOH, I dare you to find an OEM shop that doesn't have the same issue right now.

I'll look into that...I don't dabble much with the parts section, so I'll have to get someone who does to get an answer. Can you send me the link to the part? I'll send it to Jon.

Curious, do you do customization beyond what the configurator shows? For example, if someone wanted to build a cheap no-frills network-booting folding drone.

We'll build most anything you like, and if we can get the parts, with whatever parts you want. We've fallen in love with Solid State drives after a customer had a special request to build a RAID off of four of them--so now we're offering those as an option, too, and all because a customer did a special request. :p

I'll look into that...I don't dabble much with the parts section, so I'll have to get someone who does to get an answer. Can you send me the link to the part? I'll send it to Jon.

Just putzing around in the configuators, for example here. You actually sell the memory itself for half that. Not expecting you to top Newegg on an after rebate deal, or to be cheaper than I can build my own (and thus fix on my own :D) - memory price lag is just one of my peeves with OEM systems. I end up with random SODIMM modules sitting in a box somewhere because I swapped it out myself and saved $300-400 over having it preinstalled.

Does Puget offer Over Clocking? I can't seem to find it on the configuration options.

Maingear and Digital Storm offer this.

memory price lag is just one of my peeves with OEM systems. I end up with random SODIMM modules sitting in a box somewhere because I swapped it out myself and saved $300-400 over having it preinstalled.

Yeah, I can understand that--although it's gotten better lately, the memory market is so blasted volatile that companies tend to be overly cautious about keeping large quantities of it in stock.There's always a risk that you're going to buy 200 sticks at X amount...then the price drops $200 and you're left with a product that's essentially worth very little compared to what you paid for it.

I don't know what the deal is in this case, but you're right about the OEM thing--it's all going to be cheaper if you sit down and part it all out. If we sold PCs for the same price it costs for people to build their own, we couldn't stay in business--there's costs involved in everything from building support resources to meeting with vendors. There's no set formula for that kind of thing, so it varies wildly depending on manufacturer and product. Having done this for...wow, 13 years now...I've been asked the question, "Why does this computer cost $1300 more than it would if I built it myself?" and this is the best answer I've managed to come up with because it's the most honest...lol.

We do offer both XP and Vista in 64-bit versions...all you have to do is specify that's what you want when you're ordering. We also install Linux.

Thank you Heather for that bit of good news. Now the wait for the QX9550 cpu

Does Puget offer Over Clocking? I can't seem to find it on the configuration options.

Maingear and Digital Storm offer this.

Yes, just call in and request it on your build. We do it on a case-by-case basis to ensure we're able to do a very stable overclock on each PC.

Wow, I am really impressed by all the responses about the overclocking and especially the burn in procedures I read on your site. If I have the money my next build will be from you guys. I am really impressed with all the options and the feedback from customers you have taken seriously. Can someone forward 10 grand so I can order my ultimate game machine from them now? :)

Thanks , Server. If you have any questions for me, don't hesitate to ask...that's what I'm here for.

I have one question for you Heather.

Got a notification from VelocityMicro about a Bios flash upgrade as I had done once before. I was e-mailed by Dave that I had to ship my system in for the bios flash and not have someone send me the bios flash via email as it was done once before.

Does Puget allow you to flash the bios or will they send you the flash via e-mail and not have to send the complete system in ?

Could not believe Dave telling me this, unless it was a mistake on his part or a new change at the top of VM.

Will not purchase a system if one has to send in the computer at our cost.

Will not purchase a system if one has to send in the computer at our cost.

That doesn't sound logistically probable...if they do enough business to stay open more than a week, wouldn't that entail rather a lot of systems coming back if an important BIOS update was published? I'm sure you could send it in, but I doubt they call all systems back.

I have one question for you Heather.

Got a notification from VelocityMicro about a Bios flash upgrade as I had done once before. I was e-mailed by Dave that I had to ship my system in for the bios flash and not have someone send me the bios flash via email as it was done once before.

SR, there's actually a valid reason that they ask you to send the computer in for that flash--it sounds like you have an OEMACT version of Windows. What that means, basically, is that the bios flash activates your copy of Windows--and the reason they can't send it to you to flash is because the flash can also be used to activate OTHER copies of Windows if it's distributed. Therefore, they really can't send it to you without getting into some serious trouble with Microsoft, etc. Dave is doing things by the book, though it sounds like they let the rules slide the first time. Or I did, I guess, since I think I was the manager there at the time. LOL.

Does Puget allow you to flash the bios or will they send you the flash via e-mail and not have to send the complete system in ?

We don't use OEMACT bios'--we don't do the volume that type of licensing requires. So, yes, we can send you the BIOS' directly via email if you need them. Truly though, this was not VM's fault, just a quirk of the licensing agreement with MS.

Yes, it was you Heather that sent me the bios update and was grateful but not informed that is was a no, no. Puts others into deep doo doo if they need to flash and have to ship the system.

Got the new email late today with a yes to a bios flash which should be sent soon I hope from Dave, but if this is how it might be later, I will consider another system, such as Puget.

It looks like VM has resolved their issues, which is good news. It certainly used to be a pain, but I figured somebody would get it resolved at some point. I think I gave you that BIOS right before MS put the breaks on it, so technically, I don't think it was a no-no at the time. Hehehe.

However, I'd love to have you as a customer again. ;)

Heather.

Already configured a new system from your Puget sales link and now waiting for the QX9550 cpu to arrive to make the final selection as to whom I go with this time around.

VM does not offer the 64 bit OS at this time and would like this on my next purchase, and as you mentioned, you do offer the 64 bit version if I ask for it though its not on the sales site at this time.

Boutiques I'm considering....

Puget
Falcon
Maingear
VM

All good companies. No matter who you go with, I think you'll be happy.

And yes, just to confirm again, we will put XP or Vista 64 on your PC.

Got the new email late today with a yes to a bios flash which should be sent soon I hope from Dave, but if this is how it might be later, I will consider another system, such as Puget.

SR45, wanted to let you know that we have been working hard on the issue of BIOS flash for OEMACT. We have resolved with Intel and ASUS already. Our R&D department is in close communication with EVGA and we are closing in for the 680I & 780I boards. Until this is completely resolved we do have a work around solution to get customers taken care of without shipping in their machine. We are actually having some follow-up meetings with our tech support team tomorrow to make sure everyone is on the same page and avoid any further miscommunication. We are tackling so this is not a problem going forward.

VM does not offer the 64 bit OS at this time and would like this on my next purchase, and as you mentioned, you do offer the 64 bit version if I ask for it though its not on the sales site at this time.

As of this moment we are anticipating the launch of select systems with 64 bit OS this spring. We will keep everyone posted as we close in on a more solid date.

It's great to see Jessica on here--if more companies had reps on the forums, I think everyone would have happier customers...lol.

Girl power!

It's great to see Jessica on here--if more companies had reps on the forums, I think everyone would have happier customers...lol.

Girl power!

We're here when needed ;)

I'm more of a shadow lurker, but if anyone needs anything, don't hesitate to ask:D

Hey, Peter!

Now all we need is Misha from AVA and Kelt from Falcon, and we'd have a party...hehe.

SR45, wanted to let you know that we have been working hard on the issue of BIOS flash for OEMACT. We have resolved with Intel and ASUS already. Our R&D department is in close communication with EVGA and we are closing in for the 680I & 780I boards. Until this is completely resolved we do have a work around solution to get customers taken care of without shipping in their machine. We are actually having some follow-up meetings with our tech support team tomorrow to make sure everyone is on the same page and avoid any further miscommunication. We are tackling so this is not a problem going forward.

As of this moment we are anticipating the launch of select systems with 64 bit OS this spring. We will keep everyone posted as we close in on a more solid date.

Very nice to know about the 64 bit OS this spring.
Thank you for the update. Seems it getting better by the day for VM to meed my future needs. Now for a better cooling case with two exhaust fans. :D

We are working on updates to improve our cases all the time - constantly. While we can squeeze a second exhaust fan in now, we truly believe there are better ways to keep a case cooler. Remember, the PSU also acts as an exhaust fan, and too much exhaust and not enough intake is a fast way to loose control of your cooling flow plan. You'll see more improvements from the next gen LX soon, but I can't promise the second exhaust as much as I can guarantee overall substantially improved cooling for the ever hotter CPU and GPU combos we see ahead. I'm on it.

Thanks for the great feedback. We are listening, good or bad.

Randy

...That this is why you really need to do your homework and research computer companies when you're shopping for a PC. We all build a similar product with similar parts, but it's the small things--like support options, noise-level, fans, and cases--that make each manufacturer different.

All the companies that have popped up in this blog, Puget, VM and Maingear included, build an exceptionally solid computer with great support options. The most important thing for any prospective customer to keep in mind is that you need to go with something that makes you happy, because a boutique system is a fairly expensive and long-term investment.

Never settle for less than what you really want, guys. Keep calling around and talking to people until you find a company that can give you what you truly want in a system, or can at least give you a good reason for why you really don't want/need that component.

Ideas like this are why I SUCKED at telemarketing. I won't sell people stuff they don't want or need. LOL.

(Steps down off of soapbox.)

Unfortunately, the Puget boards won't let me log in, their web tool for password reset never sends an e-mail (even though it says it has) and my submission through their contact link has gone without a response.

Kinda frustrating as I had some questions to post over there.

Back