Pump noise - D5 vs ???

Wolf-R1

[H]ard|Gawd
I've just just put my WC loop into leak test mode and the noise coming from the D5 pump...it's not unbearable but it's terribly annoying! I'm looking around at various sites and various pumps but none of them really denote noise vs performance levels.

What are my options for a good performing yet fairly quiet pump? I'd like to replace the D5 before I put new PC hardware into the chassis.

Very likely just air in the line, especially if you're just now running it. It can take a long time for all the bubbles to make their way out of the pump, depending on your reservoir/t-line. The D5/MCP655 is a quiet pump. If you run it for over 24 hours, get all the bubbles out and still have noise, then you have a faulty unit.

It's been running for nearly 24 hours. There is s definite difference in noise when the unit is cavatating due to air. While there are air bubbles statically stuck to the sides of the tubes, the cavitation appears to be done yet the buzzing noise persists.

Something I forgot to mention is that this is an old D5 that I purchased some years ago and never used. Could be indicative of that model D5, yes?

I'm leaning on getting this to replace this pump. It's age, even if it's sat static for years might be the problem with the D5.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=28852

Last edited:
It might be vibrations too. Get some gel stuff (can't remember the company that make it) but that deals with that really well.

Ah, yes it could be. Didn't realize it was an older pump. You can always buy a more expensive pump, but the D5/MCP655 is a pretty solid pump from all the I've read and experience. Pretty sure there are a few for sale here at the [H].

It might be vibrations too. Get some gel stuff (can't remember the company that make it) but that deals with that really well.

I was going to give you crap for "gel stuff" then I Googled it first and it came up at Petra's. :p

There's a pad on the bottom of the unit however again I'm thinking it's simply the age of the unit and that it just needs to be replaced. :(

The D5's do make some noise, I have an older version (circa 2005) and it does make some noise on the 5 setting. Turn it down and you'll get lower/no noise. But make sure it's sitting on some padding and not touching any part of your case.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/03/02/pump-decoupling-comparison-metal-vs-neoprene-vs-eggcrate/ - link on pump decoupling noise tests. The egg-crate foam worked better than a more solid neoprene mount. Pump heat will be more difficult to deal with, however. I thought I saw somewhere that the Gel Stuff still transmits a lot of vibration, and insulates heat (Now that I think about it, there was definitely some other test somewhere...not sure about the results)... I actually have the gel stuff, but I never used it for this purpose.

Bah... I think that'll be the case with any higher density direct-contact decoupler.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/06/06/swiftech-mcp35x-hs-ddc-heatsink/ - This heatsink mount seems to decouple well.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/03/10/pump-noise-testing-round-1/ - Just some general noise testing

As mentioned in one of the articles, suspending pumps from the tubing itself is a great method of decoupling. That may be a bit more difficult when using a D5, but with some elastic bands of some sort, I bet one could strengthen the suspension.

Last edited:
...Pump heat will be more difficult to deal with, however. I thought I saw somewhere that the Gel Stuff still transmits a lot of vibration, and insulates heat (Now that I think about it, there was definitely some other test somewhere...not sure about the results)...
Pump heat is an issue!?!?! Tests analyzing the heat transfer of pump mounting!?!?! Goodness... that's a little over the top (even for me) and totally an arbitrary factor to consider... :rolleyes: I'm just giving you a hard time, Archmage. But it does seem a little too in depth for something like water cooling. It's not rocket science, like many make it out to be. Of course, anything can be over thought and over engineered.

I haven't heard of this problem in larger pumps, like the OP's D5.

If your pump feels fine, I'd say it is.

The D5's do make some noise, I have an older version (circa 2005) and it does make some noise on the 5 setting. Turn it down and you'll get lower/no noise. But make sure it's sitting on some padding and not touching any part of your case.

This one's even older than that...NO setting switch! :eek: lol
Really, I bought this to water cool and old A64 3500. Project never took off and I never used the equipment. Now I've decided I want a silent (or as close to as possible) system. This D5 won't cut it. It's making a high pitched buzzing noise. Whatever the reason it's doing it and I'm not going to live with that since it defeats the purpose of my current project.

Thanks for all the input! I appreciate it and will keep looking through all the info you guys are putting out there! :)

Back