Purchased a DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert 939 at Newegg?

JakFrost

Limp Gawd
I'm wondering if anybody snatched up any of these motherboards that were supposed to be in stock at Newegg on 2005-12-11 since that was their ETA?

Right now their ETA moved up to 2005-12-15 and I'm wondering if this is because the motherboard they received were sold out or they just didn't receive them on time on 2005-12-11.

Let me know if you purchased one on this date. I'm just curious.

No the boards never came in, I contacted them via phone and the told me they made a mistake on thier eta and dont expect them until the 15th or so. Newegg has a bad habit of just forwarding thier eta 3days ahead of when they go out of stock and then forwarding it nother 3 days when the boards dont show up. Which Im sure was the case for the A8n32 which was due in today. In anycase if you want the DFI Nf4 sli-dr Expert you can get it from www.zipzoomfly.com for $209 shipped. I did anyway after they missed thier second eta :)

Thanks for the response.

It is exactly what I thought happened. Same thing happened to me when I wanted to purchase the Mushkin Redline DDR500 2GB memory kit. They didn't receive the shipment on the ETA date (2005-12-05) and set the new ETA date for 5-days ahead (2005-12-10) but when I checked on the next day (2005-12-06) from the first ETA date the memory was magically "In Stock". It seems like they received the package a date late and I was able to order the memory while all the other people were waiting for the new ETA date to pass. This memory sold out quickly in a few days once again after that. I'm hoping that this might happen with the motherboard so I'm going to constantly check on the status everyday. I might catch the motherboard in stock while other people are still waiting for the ETA to pass.

However, I'll check these other two sources in case they get a shipment before Newegg. (I'd prefer to order it from Newegg since all the computer parts for my entire new computer came from them last week without a hick-up and I just love their web site and search engine.)

NewEgg.com - $199.00 USD - Out Of Stock, ETA: 2005-12-15

ZipZoomFly.com - $209.00 USD - Out Of Stock, ETA: Unknown

MonarchComputers.com - $199.67 USD - *New Item - Usually ships in 4-6 days (4-6 days sounds like Out of Stock to me, since 1-2 days would mean In Stock.)

Jack
Sorry At the time of the post the obard was in stock at zip zoom as that is where I ended up ordering mine. Zip zoom is great but thier time to process orders sux. I ordered my board last thursday and it still hasnt shipped on monday. Newegg on the other hand, I ordered an XFX 7800 gt this afternoon (roughly 12:00pm thier time) and it was shipped today!! If I had any more patientce I would of waited for newegg to get the board back in stock... Ah well, Ill never learn :p

I got mine from Monarch around thanksgiving retail. Payed like 230 for it. Newegg had it about 2 weeks later but not in stock and I havent seen it in stock since. NCIX has it in stock too (last time I checked).

Imo, DFI halted xpert retail distribution because of rising user's problem with the mobo. A bunch of cpus killed :(

centvalny said:
Imo, DFI halted xpert retail distribution because of rising user's problem with the mobo. A bunch of cpus killed :(

Can you substantiate this info with a link to the source from DFI confirming tha halt in production?

We know that (3) hardcore overclockers killed their AMD Athlon FX chips with this motherboard from the XtremeSystems forums and this was most likley due to the large voltage differential between the Vcore and Vdimm voltage that burnt out the memory controller.

But these are just three isolated cases of users pushing their systems way too hard. When you start getting extreme overclocking like on XtremeSystems forums then you're bound to kill CPUs. Afterall these folks use expensive Phase change chillers for cooling.

This issue might be exasperated by the usage of the DFI Expert motherboard since it allows you to set insane voltages for the memory (upto 4V instead of 2.8V) but the motherboard might not be the cause here, just the users pushing it to the limit and then killing their CPUs in the process.

Edited.. I apologized to Jack....Sorry dude, I never meant to hijack your thread :) ..

If you look at your second picture, on the left of the big heatsink on the MOFSET, you can clearly see the tops of two of your capacitors charred. It's RMA time!

I would highly recommend that when you start pushing this motherboard with higher voltages you not only provide active cooling to the memory chips but also over the MOFSETs (the little things under those silver aluminum heatsinks) so that you don't over work them. Someone mentioned this before in one of the forums, DFI-street, XtremeSystems, etc. since the MOFSETs tend to overheat a lot on any motherboard.

Speaking to the choir here, when you're taking advice about overclocking from XtremeSystems then you need to be absolutely sure that you have all your cooling requirements figured out, not only about water/phase/dry ice for the CPU, video, and chipset but also active air cooling over the motherboard components like the MOFSETs. There is a reason why they get those big heatsinks coming out of the factory and that is because they need them.

I don't want to poke fun at anyone but I cringe when I see pictures of people's water/phase/dry ice cooled rigs showing the nice pipes and lights and everything but only one 80mm case fan left over for the rest of the motherboard components and no active cooling on the memory.

PS: You're hijacking my thread dude!

Just wanted to put the stop to the FUD right here about the DFI Expert killing CPUs.

Here is a post from XtremeSystems that points out the fact that one of the original users that lost their CPU to the motherboard most likley did it because he copied the same BIOS settings from his old motherboard to the new Expert and fried his memory controller.

(I hate having to polute my thread like this but I want to stop the FUD that was started here.)

People have said it was from the DFI Crossfire board, not the Expert board when it came to the recent frying of the chips. They had gotten mixed up but it was actually the Crossfire one.

JakFrost said:
chillers for cooling.

This issue might be exasperated by the usage of the DFI Expert motherboard since it allows you to set insane voltages for the memory (upto 4V instead of 2.8V) but the motherboard might not be the cause here, just the users pushing it to the limit and then killing their CPUs in the process.
Can't you set the memory voltage up 4V with a Ultra-D even by changing jumper settings?

Back