Purchased Motherboard, RAM, CPU combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alai

2[H]4U
So I purchased a combination of RAM, Motherboard, and CPU. The seller, for the most part, provided decent disclosure including lack of I/O shield. However, one thing he forgot to mention was that the RAM had no RAM heatsinks on them.

Now, correct me if I am wrong please so I can learn from my mistake, but isn't the lack of RAM heatsinks akin to a lack of I/O shield as something that should be disclosed? I feel like that's like selling a keyboard without keys or ball mouse without the ball. I thought it was reasonably expected that the RAM comes with RAM heatsinks.

no, some DDR come w/o heatsinks.
fwiw, heatsinks are just eyecandy.

they dont really work.

depends if the ram came with heatsinks factory. But, if they did then yes - this should have been 'noted' since most of your comparison from offers comes from knowledge & research based off of factory specs or disclosed information such as overclocked component, missing or broken components.

i/o shields are included with all new mobos, but arent always included with ram sticks. they are usually included for looks more than anything, as most ram doesnt actually need heat sinks. if this set was originally purchased without heat sinks, then yeah its on you. if they originally came with heat sinks and he took them off, then thats on him and he should ship them to you free of charge. i doubt thats the case though. its more akin to buying a reference video card, and then complaining that its not the better aftermarket cooler. in the future, i recommend always asking for pictures and looking up the model number of every item youre getting so you know exactly what to expect.

Well, the f/s thread he bought from makes no mention of heatsinks. It just lists Kingston ram. IIRC, only HyperX ram comes with heatsinks.
You didn't get screwed over. You just didn't know any better.

Well, the f/s thread he bought from makes no mention of heatsinks. It just lists Kingston ram. IIRC, only HyperX ram comes with heatsinks.
You didn't get screwed over. You just didn't know any better.

This. Thank you guys for your input. I appreciate it.

Just make sure you have some air circulation in the case you're putting the components in and you should be gravy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back