Purevideo Q's

UrielDagda

2[H]4U
I recently purchased the nVidia Purevideo codec, after having an un-removable expired version of NVDVD for ages that would just crash when I tried to run it. Now with the purchase and activation of the Purevideo, NVDVD works again. Is it using the Purevideo codecs or old NVDVD ones, or am I just not understanding what NVDVD is? :confused:

When I play DVDs on Media Player and nStantMedia they look like crap. It has some super-brightness effect that cannot be removed using the Purevideo controls, because even with a background that looks like a horribly bleeding LCD backlight (I am using a CRT), the darker areas are still too dark to display, and the bright areas are just bright blobs. However when I use NVDVD, it displays fine without that problem, but I am not sure if its actually taking advantage of the codec I paid for.

Also, is it my imagination or is the nStantMedia player an obtuse piece of shit? Why did they replace the NVDVD player with that?

System Specs:
Athlon XP 3200+
BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC
1GB Corsair memory
Sony 16x DVD drive
Forceware v78.01 drivers
24" widescreen HP A7127A monitor running @ 2048x1280

This super-brightness is a known problem with some of the older drivers; which ones are you using?

I am using Forceware 78.01 driver. The overlay gamma problem was already fixed before this one was released. PowerDVD, NVDVD and WinDVD don't have this issue. Just DVDs played in Media Player and the nStantMedia player.

So if the older driver problem is ruled out then. What's interesting in your case is that you state that specific players have no issues with playback just the ones you listed do so I assume that the problem is these specific players are doing something wrong. I would double check the options and settings and not sure but is it possible for other software to use an older codec or driver? Maybe they are using something installed with the player itself instead which causes this problem?

I know the nvidia's page states that PureVideo works best with 81.85 drivers or higher, although i don't know what happens if you use older drivers. I would try updating to the newest drivers and see if that takes care of it.

I was thinking of giving that a try, but I really hate updating drivers when everything else works so well with the ones I am using now. I have been burned with updating in the past for one small thing, and winding up with tons of bluescreens in games as a reward.

I understand that. It's always been a painless process for me tho, for what it's worth. Download new ones, uninstall current ones, restart, install new ones, restart again, set whatever resolution you want.

Back