PVA Panels: Darker When Viewing Directly?

JAdamz

n00b
I have a Dell 2408WFP 24" monitor, and towards the center of the screen there is a blueish hue that I see when looking directly at it (most noticeable when viewing a pure white screen). This causes colors in this area to be darker than the surrounding areas.

At first I thought this was a defect (especially after reading about issues of uneven brightness only on some 2408WFP's but not others). However, I thought I remember reading somewhere that this is just the nature of PVA-based panels, and that when looking directly at it the colors are darker. When I look at the monitor on an angle, the darker hue in the center isn't apparent and seems to disappear (though maybe this is just the result of color shifting making it appear it's correct?).

I was just curious if this is in fact the nature of PVA panels, or if my monitor is just defective? Thanks!

it's the nature of PVA panels. my Gateway FPD2185W (S-PVA) is the same way.

Your monitor is defective. I've seen plenty of brightness uniformity test maps and the center of the monitor is the brightest on nearly all (if not all) monitors based on any panel types.

My 6 year old Planar PX191 (S-PVA) does not display such a defect. The only real noticable defect with it is a tiny amount of light bleeding at the corners which is typical for most LCD monitors. This causes blacks to seem a little lighter in the upper left, upper right and bottom right of the screen.

lol...see what I mean? :D

I've actually exchanged the monitor twice now through Dell. The first monitor I received had a very bad brightness gradient from left to right, and the new one (which I have now) didn't have that issue, however it does have the issue I mentioned above regarding being dark towards the center.

I was waiting to see what the consensus in this thread is before I try to exchange it again. There are two revisions of the 2408WFP, and the first revision (A00) has terrible input lag. There is no way to specify which revision for Dell to ship out to me as an exchange (according to customer service at least) so it's really just a crapshoot whether I get the latest revision (A01) or not.

Unfortunately I can't return it for a refund and choose a different monitor because I bought it off of eBay...never again. :rolleyes:

are you sure this isn't what you're experiencing:

The biggest disadvantage of VA based panels is color shifting. Color shifting is when the image viewed from one angle changes or "shifts" when viewed from a slightly different angle, making various uneven brightness levels across the display. This bothers many users to the point they will not even consider buying a VA based panel, while other users don't notice/aren't bothered by the color shifting. Color shifts also cause a loss of shadow detail in dark scenes when viewed directly from the center.
(source:http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

if so, this is inherent to VA type panels.

The part you are looking straight at will be darker. I think that is just the nature of S-PVA...

Backlight uniformity can also be an issue.

Alright, so sounds like it's just a flaw of PVA. I'd like to switch to IPS and it looks like the HP LP2475w is the monitor to get for that technology. I have a center channel speaker however and the base of the HP looks like its just too big...I'd have to put the center channel way out in front of the monitor instead of tucked under it slightly.

Maybe I'll just hold onto the Dell for now and wait for the next generation of IPS releases...

Back