PVR-150 and ATI 2600XT

Fark_Maniac

2[H]4U
I've just built this HTPC running WinXP MCE 2005.
ECS 690G motherboard
ATI Radeon HD 2600XT
Hauppage PVR-150 MCE
2Gig mem

PowerDVD 6...but I don't think this would have any bearing on video file playback.

My case has plenty of ventilation. CPU runs around 48c, GPU runs about 49c, everything else is okay. Voltages are okay. I'm running latest and greatest drivers for everything.

I can watch TV or a movie file for a little bit and then I loose video signal and a half second later, the machine locks up and have to reset. I can watch DVDs just fine.

When I watch TV, the image almost looks like it is between 32bit and 16bit color depth and it motion blurs like crazy. Blur can be controlled via "Hauppage Tweak Tool".

Anyone have any ideas on the lockups?

just tried something interesting out. I played a video clip just fine in Windows Media Player 11...clip ran for 30min. Within a minute, the Media Center crashed playing the same video clip.

Found nothing in the Event logs..

wish i could help. i gave up on mce2005 for the very reason of weird problems.

maybe try updating your tv tuner drivers if you havent already...

I've tried all the drivers I could find.

I have found some things out though.

The color depth issue when watching TV was due to blurring by the Hauppage card. that was easily fixed by a tweak tool to remove motion blurring.

I could watch a video clip in Windows Media Player just fine, but watching the same clip in Media Center, that will crash the system.

Thinking I was having hardware problems, I ran 3DMark to see if I could crash it that way...I could not. So I know my hardware is working correctly.

I plan on reformatting and starting over, adding hardware one piece at a time and software updates at a time so I can figure out what is going on.

PowerDVD 6 is incredibly old; get the latest one.

Other then PDVD what other video codecs do you have installed? Chances are (judging by your posts) you've got some shitty codecs (Klite probably) installed which is fucking up your system.

I figured it out! it is the video card!

I wiped my install, only installed vid card drivers and motherboard drivers. I removed the Hauppage.

It was still crashing playing video files in MCE...still plays them just fine in WMP.

Since the onboard video card is an ATI x1200, I pulled the PCIe ATI (actually Diamond) 2600 HD, let the drivers settle down, rebooted. Video files play just fine in MCE. I'd leave it that way, but I need composite output for my TV. There are headers on the motherboard, but cannot find the part number or a place to purchase the optional TV-out bracket.

I specifically chose that video card because it would allow me to play HD/BlueRay later one once I get the drives.

I am pissed.

Edit, on this last install...the DiamondMM supplied drivers have something called AVIVO codecs and MCE Transcoder...I tried with and without them...still crashed.

i wonder if the card is ok and just doesnt like playing well with some part you have.. dfi boards can be picky...

this motherboard is an ECS.

before I re-installed, I did run a complete test on 3DMark06...completed just fine. (score of 4300)

this motherboard is an ECS.

before I re-installed, I did run a complete test on 3DMark06...completed just fine. (score of 4300)

ECS can be flaky too (which is why they're not suggested) but some have had issues with ATI's drivers so that might have something to do with it.

The 2600 is a piece of garbage anyways, I'd suggest picking up a 8600GT or even a 8500GT (with the newest drivers, NV has updated the 8500's performance to roughly that of an 8600 series card when it comes to video playback).

HA!! I made my own composite cable off of the headers! Now I don't need the 2600....anyone need a video card? lightly used!

Since I bought it at Newegg, it is an item that I cannot return, only exchange for a new one.

Diamond tech support has run me through installing drivers from 7.6 on up to current catalyst sets. Still crashes. We'll see how well a new one works.

Back