Q6600 @ 2.66 vs. QX6700

Does any1 know if a q6600 is overclocked to 2.66 GHz, will it perform the same as the qx6700 if the temp was kept down?

Yes, beside the speed, both cpu are identical and 2.66 GHz is very very doable without problems since the initial speed of a Q6600 is 2.4 GHz.

What? the Q6600 would be slightly faster due to the higher bus speed. If you managed to get an unlocked multi Q6600, it CAN'T be the same because one would end up with a higher bus speed. :) , unless of course, it had less cache... then the bus speed would make up for the deficit.

Im kinda happy this post was put up.

Im building a system that would be a shame not to overclock

Q6600
Gigabyte P35-DQ6
Corsair Dominator memory
Corsair 620w PSU

I have never overclocked but am going to do it and I would like to learn how to do it myself and not use Gigabytes overclocking software.

From what I have read, and keeping in mind I have not overclocked anyting before, 333 FSB with an 8 multiplier would give the 2.66??

Would there be any need to increase the Vcore voltage?

I have read that you need faster memory to handle faster FSB, I assume that the Corsair at 4-4-4-whatever be fast enough.

Just make sure your cooling is good. I got my Q6600 in yesterday: running STOCK SPEED AND VOLTS under a Zalman 9500, I'm still pulling 67 degrees Centigrade at 100% load (Folding@Home SMP client x2 in VMWare). I'm definitely resurrecting a water cooler for this. I'm also slightly afraid of how the Intel stock fan would've done. :eek: (Yes, this is correct- my e6400 @ 3.2 often broke 55C. These 90+ days in Jersey are awful for computers.)

Just make sure your cooling is good. I got my Q6600 in yesterday: running STOCK SPEED AND VOLTS under a Zalman 9500, I'm still pulling 67 degrees Centigrade at 100% load (Folding@Home SMP client x2 in VMWare). I'm definitely resurrecting a water cooler for this. I'm also slightly afraid of how the Intel stock fan would've done. :eek: (Yes, this is correct- my e6400 @ 3.2 often broke 55C. These 90+ days in Jersey are awful for computers.)

summer is killer on all CPUs everywhere. My Pentium D started having random shut downs when it got real hot :(

Computer case with phase cooling built in, in the basement FTW :eek:

Q6600 B3 steppings are really too hot to handle on air cooling if you want to overclock much but from what I have seen with the new G0 steppings, they run as cool as Core 2 Duos due to less wattage.

I intend to buy a Q6600 for my wife's computer. I already own a QX6700. I never had my QX6700 on air, but I did have it on a high end water cooling setup. Simply, it just ran very warm. I did NOT feel comfortable with anything over 3.2ghz (vcore was set to 1.375). If I bumped the vcore up, my temps became unacceptable. Since then, I have completely removed it off of water and now I have a Vapochill Unit. Since I do NOT push that processor CONSTANTLY AT 100% ALL THE TIME (like someone would if they were Folding), it does just fine. 3.6ghz is easy pickin's and with a really good effort, I bet 4ghz would be attainable. However, my rig is just for simply surfin the net, benchmarking my setup, gaming every now and then and occassionally, cut an .MP3 CD for my CD Player in my truck. So, I have little use to push my processor THAT hard.

Since my vapochill really works for me, for my type of use, I will probably buy another phase change unit for my wife's Q6600. The actual vapochill units are expensive but there are SEVERAL peeps out there that can build you a good unit (better than the vapochill line) for HUNDREDS less. You might have to wait several weeks for one, but they are a good cooling solution if you don't mind brushing up on the DO's and DON'Ts of owning a phase change unit. Props to the Original Poster for starting this thread.

From what I have read, and keeping in mind I have not overclocked anyting before, 333 FSB with an 8 multiplier would give the 2.66??

Would there be any need to increase the Vcore voltage?

I have read that you need faster memory to handle faster FSB, I assume that the Corsair at 4-4-4-whatever be fast enough.

8x333 is fine for that,I am 99.9% sure no voltage increases would be needed for an oc that small.Yes but not with what you want to do here,your Corsair will be fine.

I assume that instability / crashing would be a sign that I need to increase Vcore voltage?

From what I have read anything less then 60ish deg. C is ok as far as temps go?

lol.....that's chump change compared to the 117 we were getting last week in Phoenix.

lol.....that's chump change compared to the 117 we were getting last week in Phoenix.

Lol,and even thats 'cool' compared to the weather I expirienced in India back in in the early 90's :D I stayed there for near 5 months,and have never felt weather that hot and humid before ever ! And I've done a lot of traveling over the years.

I assume that instability / crashing would be a sign that I need to increase Vcore voltage?

From what I have read anything less then 60ish deg. C is ok as far as temps go?

Instability like that could be heat related,not just voltage related.Make sure the comps case has decent air circulation as well.Maker sure you ahev at least 1 fan pulling air in the case,and another blowing air out of the case.This is on top of your power suply fan and video card fans... GL

2 fans infront blowing in and 1 fan + PSU in back blowing out.

I have this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119023

Ontop of this case there are audio connectors but the case came with materials needed to remove the connecotrs and install another fan. When I tear everythign apart Im going to install another fan here.

Im unsure if this fan should blow in or out. The fan location is just infront of the CPU and common sence tells me to have it blowing in to get cool air in there for the CPU fan.

Yeah thats why I have my AC up a bit higher. Have to keep the comps cool. :)
And lots of 120mm fans in the case helps too. hehe

I have my AC blowing directly into my computer. i have a q6600 @ 3.2ghz 1600fsb. IDLE with AC off is 43-44c, with AC on 30C.

I am using a Zalman 9500. my room gets warm fast with my AC off, feels like my computer is a heater lol, good for winters!

Thats pretty hot.....

When my room is at 80 im getting around Mid 30's on all my cores

Thats pretty hot.....

When my room is at 80 im getting around Mid 30's on all my cores

So your saying your cores are running "slightly" warmer than ambient on a quad core under load or idle? I find this slightly hard to believe...

30C = 86 F
35C = 95 F

Mid 30's is definately not the norm for idle temp for a quad in room temp (ie: 70ish degrees F). Most benchies i've seen have the people running in a controlled environment with no cases and can't even get that temp that you are claiming.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hard...gtx-vs-storm-vs-fuzion-vs-apogee-vanilla.html

Just don't want people to get their hopes up and get disappointed..

For those of you having cooling problems with the Q6600 I have found an annoying problem with the heatsink mounting and CPU retention bracket.

I have a 9700LED heatsink (the big one in copper) and found that the retention bracket for the CPU holds the heatsink base off of the CPU heat spreader at one corner and no matter how well I mounted the heatsink I always hit 75C with pushing upto 3GHz and was pushing 65C at normal clocks.

Now, after looking on the web a bit I finally removed the retaining bracket that holds the CPU into the socket (it comes off if you bend the metal tab in the middle to release it) and then very carefully used the heatsink to push the CPU into the socket.

This is the only change I have done, no voltage changes or clock changes. My temps are now at the highest 58C which is quite a drop off and thats running 3.1GHz in a warmish room.

It looks like the top of the IHS is slightly lower on the Q6600 and this is causing poor contact between a heatsink and the CPU.

:eek: :eek: Im scared now. I live in India and planning on getting a Q6600. Maybe I should give some serious thought about temps before pulling the trigger. My room temps vary from ~68-100F :confused:

if your room hits 100f, its probably a good idea to leave your cpu at stock speeds. or you can always go watercooling.

has anyone seen this post before. "http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240284-29-9x333-8x375-7x428-q6600-faster"

despite the higher fsb they are all pretty much the same for benchmarks.

if your room hits 100f, its probably a good idea to leave your cpu at stock speeds. or you can always go watercooling.
I plan on running it just at stock speed with a Tuniq tower. Im not a big fan of wc, so would rather stay with air. But have to see how it goes.

Oh God.

You're not the same ProphetX from before, are you?

sorry I don't know who prophetx is =) I've been on these forums for quite some time and have had been on here prior to him i believe.

My ebay and reputation here should be pretty good (bought and sold many things from people prior to this heatware thing). Also I've helped quite a few people OC their opterons (a search would show that) =)

Back