Q6600 G0 @ 3GHz stock volts on 680i/P35 an unreasonable expectation?

Mr. Bluntman

Supreme [H]ardness
I was thinking of trading my E8400 for a Q6600, and either pairing it with my current Gigabyte, or finding a cheap EVGA 680i SLI board for dual GTX 260s

Now with an appropriatley beefier HSF would I have any problems taking a G0 to just 3GHz at stock voltage in either my current board or the 680i? I haven't overclocked since the original Pentium days so bear with me here. :p

Thanks!

You might well have to raise volts, and your chances of OCing on the P35 are /far/ better than on a 680i. I've owned more 680is than most, and all but 1 of 4 couldn't get my X3220 (effectively the same as a Q6600) past 3Ghz.

I'm not certain why you're worried about running stock volts, exactly? It would be a minor bump at worst to 3Ghz.

Recent Q6600 on a DS3L (same board basically, minus raid IIRC) did it without any voltage increase. Did not go for more but it seems 3-3.3 without extra voltage is common. Im a bit curious why though - not that you owe me an explanation or to try and start a quad vs dual debate - but off the top of my head your 8400 should have more cache, higher FSB, SSE4, smaller process, and should be able to overclock much better :)
I say get a good HSF and see if that puppy (the 8400) hits 4.0! ;)

great deals on the Xigmatek S1283 at Newegg or Microcenter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&Tpk=s1283
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0288207
and if you dont like pushpins (I normally dont but found them to work quite well on this one) there's a backplate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019 (it is out of stock tho)

My Q6600 is running at 3Ghz with stock voltage (see Yut in sig). It could probably go further, but I have a crappy MB that's super finicky, and I'm also RAM limited. It runs hot with my Freezer 7 pro. 45 idle, 70 on load with p95. Hits 80 with intel burn test. Thinking about lapping it and getting some better cooling... but I won't push it any faster with this ram and mb. If I do get new ram and mb, I'll probably get a new proc too, so this is probably how this q6600 is going to live.

My Q6600 is running at 3Ghz with stock voltage (see Yut in sig). It could probably go further, but I have a crappy MB that's super finicky, and I'm also RAM limited. It runs hot with my Freezer 7 pro. 45 idle, 70 on load with p95. Hits 80 with intel burn test. Thinking about lapping it and getting some better cooling... but I won't push it any faster with this ram and mb. If I do get new ram and mb, I'll probably get a new proc too, so this is probably how this q6600 is going to live.

Dude, for 3Ghz thats insane temps at stock voltage. Try remounting, something is wrong there, its just not sitting right.

Yeah I know... I remounted last night... it's on there tight. Might be too much grease. I didn't put any on, just left what was on the freezer 7 pro. It still seemed like a lot. I have some mx2 in the mail, so as soon as it comes I'll clean up what's there and put less on. Considering lapping it too. Dunno what else to do. Case air flow is good. I think it's just a hot proc.

If you're wanting to keep your temps down , find a lower vid Q6600 and you should have no issues hitting 3GHz at stock volts. I just sold mine - it had a vid of 1.2v and at 3.0GHz , it idled in the high 20's(C) and at load was in the mid to upper 50's(C)

I'm at 3ghz and 1.275 volts (in bios) and idle is mid 30's, load is low 50's in prime95 and high 50's in the intel burn test.

680i boards were not at all good with Quads.

You might want to consider the 750i FTW fron evga, good things were said about it.

I dredged up a Striker II (780i) and can't get my Q6600 stable past 3.1 Ghz!!! No matter how high I crank the voltages.......it just plain is a crappy board, but will hold me over until after Christmas............then on to i7s, Intel Chips and SLI, yahoo.

Yeah I know... I remounted last night... it's on there tight. Might be too much grease. I didn't put any on, just left what was on the freezer 7 pro. It still seemed like a lot. I have some mx2 in the mail, so as soon as it comes I'll clean up what's there and put less on. Considering lapping it too. Dunno what else to do. Case air flow is good. I think it's just a hot proc.

The Freezer 7 Pro just isn't enough for an OCed quad, unless you happen to get a really good chip. That's all there is to it.

Very well... I'll look for a better cooler. I really want to water cool. On a budget though so nothing soon. I like the True (not copper).

I'm at 3ghz and 1.275 volts (in bios) and idle is mid 30's, load is low 50's in prime95 and high 50's in the intel burn test.

I was just about to research this, and it was the first hit on the thread. I also want to get my Q6600 G0 @ 3ghz. Just picked up a S1283 and backplate last night.

However, can't install until after thanksgiving break. I hope I can run it at 1.275 volts!

At 3ghz on my Q6600 I am prime95 and IBT "stable" at 334 x 9 with 1.225v in bios(1.168v in windows)

Thanks for the replies, guys. So I gather that it's about a 50/50 chance of getting a sample that will work at stock voltage at 3GHz. Now the real question is, should I go ahead and put my E8400 up on the FS/T subforum?

Now before anyone asks what I use my PC for, I mostly game with the occasional DVD rip-and-encode, listening to/ripping/burning music, and web browsing.

I'm leaning towards no (same with getting a 680i - no Yorkfield support, and I'm leaning towards a single GTX280 in the next two months if prices fall enough). But then again, I don't want to be left out in the cold when that "killer app" comes along and takes full advantage of four cores... Suggestions?

Eh, keep the E8400 for now, you can always sell and swap at some point in the future. Oh, and the 680i, if I already haven't stated, is the devil. You don't want to play that game. 780i is barely an improvement.

Eh, keep the E8400 for now, you can always sell and swap at some point in the future. Oh, and the 680i, if I already haven't stated, is the devil. You don't want to play that game. 780i is barely an improvement.

I see you're speaking with experience, silent. And no, you didn't say that the 680i was evil encarnate. No wonder someone was so eager to dump their board on me for my current Gigabyte P35 based board.

There is nothing that pisses me off more than an unstable or buggy system, and my current platform has been the fucking rock of gibraltar.

If the 680i is the devil, the 780i is the devil's daughter on her menstral cycle.:eek:

I've been playing with my Q lately. Has a VID of 1.275. I got it stable last night to 3003Mhz (429x7) at 1.25v(bios). Idle at 1.21v loads at 1.168v. Temps never break 50c at load, idle around 30c. Some might ask "why 429x7?" well...I can't answer that yet, except to say that I can lower my vcore more at 429x7 than I can at 333x9 or 375x8. Not sure why either. I am able to keep all other voltages at stock, except for MCH which got a .1v bump. NB stays nice and cool to the touch as well. Also allows me to run memory at 1:1 for DDR2-860 4-4-4-12.

The other thing I find odd is that my system actually feels a tad snappier at 429x7 versus 333x9 or 375x8. I'm wondering if the higher FSB has something to do with that.

Oh, and like silent-circuit said, the 680i boards are garbage for quads. They don't OC for shit. I went through several eVGA 680i boards before settling on my P35-DS3R. Sean Connery has nothing on this rock of stability. :)

My Q6600 running at 3ghz(333x9) has a VID of 1.2375v and runs1.25v no problem, idle temp is 36c. I think I will try to lower the voltage a bit more tomorrow, maybe 1.235v.

3.2GHz @ 1.325V, didn't even try to undervolt it. It will boot @ 3.6GHz with stock 1.35V but it is not Orthos stable so I dropped the multi to 8x.

I'm at 3.0 without touching volts except my northbridge. No matter what i do it is not stable over 3.0. 32-35c idle 47-51c load.

Just installed the S1283 + backplate. I know the AS5 hasn't broken in yet.

9x333 @ stock (1.1275v), passed IntelBurnTest. All other voltage is at stock including MCH and NB. I am going to see if I can use a lower VID.

Idle: 32C, Load: 55C pretty reasonable? These temps are for the hottest core and load was with IntelBurnTest.

9x333 @ stock (1.1275v), passed IntelBurnTest. All other voltage is at stock including MCH and NB. I am going to see if I can use a lower VID.

Idle: 32C, Load: 55C pretty reasonable? These temps are for the hottest core and load was with IntelBurnTest.

55C is nothing to sweat about. My last AMD setup (an Athlon X2 5600+, 90nm Windsor - 2M) with stock cooling hovered in the low 50's under load.

I think I will just stick with my E8400 for now, and sell it to my roommate (he's still using a Pentium III 1GHz, FFS) when tax refunds are dished out, and see what's the best price/performance option for LGA775 in February for under $250. Sound like a good idea, guys?

Yeah, those a reasonable temps. I wouldn't worry about them. I average around 30 idle and between 51-55 at load at 3Ghz with IBT. Although I'm using a SI-128 cooler. But, from what I've read and seen it's not until you start getting into the 3.2-3.6 range that the better coolers shine. You definately have a better cooler. LOL

Yeah, those a reasonable temps. I wouldn't worry about them. I average around 30 idle and between 51-55 at load at 3Ghz with IBT. Although I'm using a SI-128 cooler. But, from what I've read and seen it's not until you start getting into the 3.2-3.6 range that the better coolers shine. You definately have a better cooler. LOL

Thanks for the advice.

I'm such a nub. I realized that when I was getting 32C/55C, I had my side panel open. Now with the side panel closed I am getting Idle: 35C/Load: 58C. I was able to get CPU stable w/ IntelBurntTest @ 1.25v.

I know under 60C load is perfectly fine. However, I'm thinking to put in an intake fan in the middle of my P182 and moving the hard drives to the section below where the PSU resides. Would it be worth it or should I stop crying about my temps and keep it as-is?

Back