Q6600 owners... what is your VID?

I'll updated it again this weekend... it's a pain the ass doing it over and over and as someone else pointed out, I cross posted this thread with the hope of getting a lot of replies and thus a good sample size. Keep an eye on it.

Stepping: G0
VID: 1.2375

When I have the speedstep enabled though, I get a VID of 1.1125. I assume the first is the correct one though?

G0 Stepping
Batch # : L720B023
VID: 1.1625

stocksettings2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~gaiden133/stocksettings2.jpg

Weird in that case. CoreTemp's acting a little strange after I started OC'ing.

It is now displaying my VID as 1.300 and always displays my FSB as 50 mhz more.

Oh well..

Weird in that case. CoreTemp's acting a little strange after I started OC'ing.

It is now displaying my VID as 1.300 and always displays my FSB as 50 mhz more.

Oh well..

Overclock results? Yes, I'm following you...lol

Q6600 G0
L720B023

VID - 1.275

Overclock results? Yes, I'm following you...lol

Q6600 G0
L720B023

VID - 1.275

Hehe, doing so as we speak. I'm on the laptop at the moment just watching prime95.

But yeah, im going with the old VID o_o.. lol, no idea why the VID changed after i started playing with the BIOS..

Anyway, I am idling at 34 deg celcius ~ (temps taken from CoreTemp & Abit's uGuru) and load prime95 @ 54 deg celcius.

Though, in CoreTemp.. what is the temp we take? Core#0 ? Core#1 ? Core #2 ? Core #3 ? or take all of them and average?

Anyway running at 425 x 8 for 3.4 Ghz so far @ 1.4 volts, seems stable so far.

Gonna shoot for 3.6Ghz as my end result methinks.

What are you running?

Hehe, doing so as we speak. I'm on the laptop at the moment just watching prime95.

But yeah, im going with the old VID o_o.. lol, no idea why the VID changed after i started playing with the BIOS..

Anyway, I am idling at 34 deg celcius ~ (temps taken from CoreTemp & Abit's uGuru) and load prime95 @ 54 deg celcius.

Though, in CoreTemp.. what is the temp we take? Core#0 ? Core#1 ? Core #2 ? Core #3 ? or take all of them and average?

Anyway running at 425 x 8 for 3.4 Ghz so far @ 1.4 volts, seems stable so far.

Gonna shoot for 3.6Ghz as my end result methinks.

What are you running?

stock. :(

Waiting on a scythe ninja plus

stock. :(

Waiting on a scythe ninja plus

This is my first time ever OC'ing so I'll get the retarded question out of the way:

How long do I run prime95 for to know that the system is stable?

All the instances of past instabilities due to lack of voltage @ cpu or memory occured in like the first 5 mins.

Is the best test to leave it running all night?

This is my first time ever OC'ing so I'll get the retarded question out of the way:

How long do I run prime95 for to know that the system is stable?

All the instances of past instabilities due to lack of voltage @ cpu or memory occured in like the first 5 mins.

Is the best test to leave it running all night?

24hours is how I roll. :)

Again, I'm planning to update the thread with all the new results soon...

for all the people who responded w/ a g0 1.2750 chip... how high have you o/c'ed it and @ what vcore? What minimum vcore can you run 9x333 at?

for all the people who responded w/ a g0 1.2750 chip... how high have you o/c'ed it and @ what vcore? What minimum vcore can you run 9x333 at?

I run 360x9 at 1.2375v. Haven't really tried going higher since 3.24GHz is more than enough for me (and my room is hot enough as is), but I'm sure I could bump it up quite a bit more if I wanted.

B3 Q6600 @ 2.7ghz stock voltage on intel cooler at the moment. waiting for my ultra 120 extreme to show up.

VID: 1.3125v :mad:

coretempreadoutdw3.jpg

Right now I'm at 9x334, still haven't bumped the voltage up from 1.2750 (which is the lowest possible setting in uguru, presumably because it read the VID). Haven't hit even an hour of stressing yet (Prime95), but I ran it for 4 hrs at 9x320 with no problems, and I think it's safe to assume it will be stable at this setting. I'll update if it isn't.

Temperatures boggle me though, because today it's not quite getting as hot as it was last night at 320 (55C max in uguru, 62 in coretemp0.95). Right now it seems to be a couple degrees lower in both apps despite being clocked higher and my room feeling the same.

Guys be aware that if Enhanced C1E or SpeedStep kicks in you will see the idle VID setting and not the running VID setting (which would explain the rather low values some have, see post #48 as that shows 6x multiplyer, throttled and idle VID setting (sorry Gaiden133 but yours was the only post to show it graphically)). You can tell which you are seeing by also running CPUz and checking the multiplyer. If it says 6x then its throttled (unless you are running insain FSB speeds).

Okay guys, just updated the first post of the thread to reflect the new replies... have a look!

Guys be aware that if Enhanced C1E or SpeedStep kicks in you will see the idle VID setting and not the running VID setting (which would explain the rather low values some have, see post #48 as that shows 6x multiplyer, throttled and idle VID setting (sorry Gaiden133 but yours was the only post to show it graphically)). You can tell which you are seeing by also running CPUz and checking the multiplyer. If it says 6x then its throttled (unless you are running insain FSB speeds).

Not a problem, that actually explains it a lot. Well then, my running VID is 1.3000 instead as I disabled C1E & SpeedStep after that shot and CoreTemp now displays that number. Shoot! :D

Which is why I posted earlier to test under load. On some mobos, the VID doesn't flip around in Core Temp even with Speedstep/EIST on but on others it does.

Right now I'm at 9x334, still haven't bumped the voltage up from 1.2750 (which is the lowest possible setting in uguru, presumably because it read the VID). Haven't hit even an hour of stressing yet (Prime95), but I ran it for 4 hrs at 9x320 with no problems, and I think it's safe to assume it will be stable at this setting. I'll update if it isn't.

Temperatures boggle me though, because today it's not quite getting as hot as it was last night at 320 (55C max in uguru, 62 in coretemp0.95). Right now it seems to be a couple degrees lower in both apps despite being clocked higher and my room feeling the same.

Ok, maybe it's not stable at those settings. I didn't get errors in Prime95 or anything, but I've had other weird problems... o_O might make a thread.

50 replies so far for B3 stepping Q6600s:

2 people had a VID of 1.1625V --- 4%
1 person had a VID of 1.2125V --- 2%
2 people had a VID of 1.2500V --- 4%
2 people had a VID of 1.2625V --- 4%
7 people had a VID of 1.2750V -- 14%
8 people had a VID of 1.2875V -- 16%
6 people had a VID of 1.3000V -- 12%
1 person had a VID of 1.3100V --- 2%
8 people had a VID of 1.3125V -- 16%
13 people had a VID of 1.3250V - 26%

14% < 1.275v
86% >= 1.275v

weighted AVERAGE = 1.2925

32 replies so far for G0 stepping Q6600s:

1 person had a VID of 1.1520V -- 3%
2 people had a VID of 1.1625V -- 6%
1 person had a VID of 1.2125V -- 3%
1 person had a VID of 1.2250V -- 3%
2 people had a VID of 1.2375V -- 6%
4 people had a VID of 1.2500V - 12%
6 people had a VID of 1.2625V - 19%
3 people had a VID of 1.2750V -- 9%
1 person had a VID of 1.2850V -- 3%
4 people had a VID of 1.2875V - 13%
5 people had a VID of 1.3000V - 16%
2 people had a VID of 1.3125V --- 6%

53% have <1.275v
47% have >= 1.275v

weighted AVERAGE = 1.225

Redid your #'s with percentages again.
Wow, the # are really starting to add up, showing how much
better the G0's are at running with lower voltage. And with
the exponential increase in wattage / leakage that little bit
probably makes a HUGE difference.

G0's on average have 0.0675 volts lower.

I think I'll be getting a G0 stepping Q6600 soon.
Just gotta wait for Newegg's price to settle closer to the RIGHT price.
(about $280)

Overclock results on my B3:

OCcupz.jpg

OCcoretemp.jpg

Note: the temps are partially the way they are because I don't have air conditioning. The Ultra-120 Extreme keeps them all below 60 even with Prime 95 torture testing all four cores though so I'm actually really happy with the result.

Pretty sure it would go higher if I could keep the ambient temp in my room reasonable. It's over 85 in here at the moment :(

mine is 1.2625.G0.currently running at 425x8= 3.4ghz 1.45 vcore passed 10+ hours of prime 25.3 didnt brother to try higher yet because load temp is 70c
Will try higher after getting a better cooler.

at this time the G0 is averaging .0315v lower, according to the summerized numbers.

vidse4.jpg

B3 VID:1.1625v
SL9UM Pack Date: 07/11/07

About to add a second fan to my Ninja B and then im going to see how high I can clock it.

Guys question: I have the same Pack Date on my B3, (havn't opened box yet cause I have a G0 on the way). Will ALL of the B3's with this Pack Date have this VID?

Now I'm not so sure which cpu to keep. If a G0 has a higher VID than a B3, will the B3 run cooler/overclock better? :confused:

Thanks!!!

Since coretemp .95 doesn't work on Vista 64, are you missing all of those that are on that version of Vista? Is there another way of getting VID?

Since coretemp .95 doesn't work on Vista 64, are you missing all of those that are on that version of Vista? Is there another way of getting VID?

CoreTemp works on Vista x64, you just have to disable driver signing.

Press F8 the next time you bootup and select the option to boot without driver signing checks. Unfortunately you have to do this every time you boot if you want to run CoreTemp or anything else that uses an unsigned driver.

I got different vids in XP (1.3125v) and vista x64 (1.1625v) w/ driver signing disabled
I think 1.3125v is the correct one since I can't hit 3.4G w/ 1.5v vcore in BIOS

Updated the first post of the thread with the data collected (208 replies now)...

Back