q6600 question

ive got access to two q6600's, but i can only keep one. both are slacr g0 cores. both have vids of 1.615 while not under load, however one has a VID of 1.30 under load while the other has a VID of 1.315 underload. Now i know the lower value is better, however, which do you think would overclock better? i only have one chance to pick so any answers would be appreciated.

I would go for the one with the lower VID anyways. The lower one might have a better chance of stability using lower voltages.

you do know that VID is what intel spec'd it to be and not what you see when its under load.

either way id choose the lower vid cpu.

wouldnt the vid being reported be what intel specced it at? or im not sure. because i was able to swap out cpus in the same system and the vid that came up underload for each cpu was different

wouldnt the vid being reported be what intel specced it at? or im not sure. because i was able to swap out cpus in the same system and the vid that came up underload for each cpu was different
to get the vid use cpu-z and look at the VID field, thats your true VID, thats the voltage intel says is adequate for your cpu to run stock.

the voltages you are talking about are being regulated by your motherboard, and therefore arent the VID. these voltages change under load.

the choice is up to you though, try overclocking them both and see which requires less voltage to run stable.

yeah, i'd test them both. There are a lot of situations where VID on the Q6600 is pretty moot. I know a couple peole with 1.325 VID chips that clock better at lower voltages and run cooler than mine with a 1.275 VID.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

to get the vid use cpu-z and look at the VID field, thats your true VID, thats the voltage intel says is adequate for your cpu to run stock.
CPU-Z does not display VID, it shows the actual current voltage. To find the VID, use a program like Real Temp or Core Temp to display it.

yeah, i'd test them both. There are a lot of situations where VID on the Q6600 is pretty moot. I know a couple peole with 1.325 VID chips that clock better at lower voltages and run cooler than mine with a 1.275 VID.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

This.

I have a 1.2875 VID Q6600 and I actually undervolted the chip to get it to run at 3.0ghz. I set it to 1.2575 in Bios but it will run as low as 1.19v under load in IntelBurnTest (vDroop is scary) and idles at about 1.22V.

in the same system but swapped out cpus. on one cpu, it was giving it 1.3 volts as read per CPU-Z to stay stable, on the other it was giving it 1.315 so the motherboard felt that the one processor required more for stability than the other? the reason i ask all of this is because my friend has a dell system that came with a q6600 and i swapped it out to test my cpu when my asus p5n-d died to verify it was my motherboard. my processor is the 1.315 one. he can't overclock since he has a dell so he told me if I feel his cpu is better, to just swap them. so this is why i ask. however if there is no correlation between VID and overclockability ill just stick to mine.

Back