Q6600 running @ 1.6ghz, why?

the lone gunman

Limp Gawd
i just built a new system and cpuz is telling me that the cpu (Q6600) is running at 1.6ghz. any reason for this?

system specs are:

Q6600

Asus P5Q

4gb of OCZ

8600gt

CPUz report:

Processors Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 4 (max 4)
Name Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Codename Kentsfield
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)
CPUID 6.F.B
Extended CPUID 6.F
Core Stepping G0
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1645.0 MHz (6.0 x 274.2 MHz)
Rated Bus speed 1096.7 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2 x 4096 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 9.0x
max VID 1.325 V
Features XD, VT

Speedstep.

Stock the CPU is at 266x9=2.4GHz. The CPU will lower the multiplier down to 6 if you do not need the CPU power (266x6=1.6GHz).

You can disable it in the bios.

I'll leave the rest to everyone else. Just google around how to disable it, this question has been asked over 9000 times.

i have never built an intel system before so guess i didnt come accross the other posts. so your telling me the clock speed will increse if need by an aplication?

i have never built an intel system before so guess i didnt come accross the other posts. so your telling me the clock speed will increse if need by an aplication?

Anything that starts using 100% will bump the clockspeed back up to 2.4GHz. It's a power savings thing Intel made, and it does help.

No reason to disable speedstep, when you need your CPU, it will clock it accordingly. Less heat and power consumption is a good thing.

Some have pretty wild ideas about speedstep in regards to it affecting stability when overclocking, or saying things that are just plain retarded like that it slows down benchmarks because it isn’t running at the right speed or doesn’t switch the multiplier fast enough. None of that is really true.

No reason to disable speedstep, when you need your CPU, it will clock it accordingly. Less heat and power consumption is a good thing.

Some have pretty wild ideas about speedstep in regards to it affecting stability when overclocking, or saying things that are just plain retarded like that it slows down benchmarks because it isn’t running at the right speed or doesn’t switch the multiplier fast enough. None of that is really true.

AFAIK, there might not be a significant downplay in terms of benchmarks but it does slow it down, whether it's 1000% or .01% , it is a fact. However will anyone notice the difference in real world use? probably not.

AFAIK, there might not be a significant downplay in terms of benchmarks but it does slow it down, whether it's 1000% or .01% , it is a fact. However will anyone notice the difference in real world use? probably not.

It slows down the CPU when it's not in use obviously, but there's absolutely no effect on performance. Benchmarks won't be slowed down because the CPU will clock itself back up when it's loaded. The only difference between using SpeedStep and not using it is that having it enabled saves power. The end-user experience is unchanged, so it may as well be left on.

It slows down the CPU when it's not in use obviously, but there's absolutely no effect on performance. Benchmarks won't be slowed down because the CPU will clock itself back up when it's loaded. The only difference between using SpeedStep and not using it is that having it enabled saves power. The end-user experience is unchanged, so it may as well be left on.

What i'm trying to say is that it may take .1 second for the CPU to clock from 1.6ghz to 2.4ghz, but there is still a slow down. Like I said it's not noticeable, but for the cpu to switch from 1.6ghz to 2.4ghz there is a difference, just not a significant or noticeable one.

What i'm trying to say is that it may take .1 second for the CPU to clock from 1.6ghz to 2.4ghz, but there is still a slow down. Like I said it's not noticeable, but for the cpu to switch from 1.6ghz to 2.4ghz there is a difference, just not a significant or noticeable one.

It's so insignificant it's not even worth mentioning

My q6600 shows 2.24GHz when it posts. At what point should it be showing 2.4? My bus is set to 1066. Even when playing 1080p movies I've never seen 2.4.

Best thing to do is go into your BIOS and make sure it's set for 266 FSB and the multiplier is 9. Or better yet, clear the CMOS and boot with stock settings. If it still doesn't boot at 2.4 then you may need to update the BIOS or set those parameters manually.

Hahah I was thinking the same thing when I installed my Q6700 for the first time. Then I started in the Bios and was like oh theres the problem.

Back