Q6600

vict0r

[H]ard|Gawd
Wow, check out newegg how many people reviewed this cpu..

is intel still making the q6600?

is it worth it to buy this cpu as of now?

at that price you should get a q9550 or a e8500. there is a member here selling e8500 new in box dirt cheap. I got one from him.

I went from a q600 to a e8500 just cause of gaming. its been working great so far!

at that price you should get a q9550 or a e8500. there is a member here selling e8500 new in box dirt cheap. I got one from him.

I went from a q600 to a e8500 just cause of gaming. its been working great so far!

You do know what an FSB is, right?

OP: Vict0r, I just bit on the Q6600 @ Newegg for $199. It was an outstanding CPU in its time, and is still considered a great CPU. Mine will finish a system build with an old D975XBX2 board.
The Q6600 was discontinued Q2 this year, this very well could be the last supplies out there; though, more likely the last retail chips that are readily available. After these are gone, you may be able to find some, but most will probably be OEM (no box, fan, small warranty) or used.

The q6600 will fade into legend status much like the athlon 2500+ mobile. But I'm so glad I switched from my athlon 6000+ to this q6600.

There is no point in getting a Q6600 anymore I think. There are better CPUs for the price range from both Intel and AMD. Maybe if you can get a good discount on it it would be worth getting. Otherwise it is not worth it.

Mine was a fairly late batch chip but it was a pretty decent clocker, 3.8ghz on air (1.5 vcore), sold it a while back and bought a q9550 to try out.

A Q8400 on the lower side or Q9550 on the higher side are better buys than the Q6600 right now. Better overclockers, slightly better performance per clock, and in the case of the Q9550, more cache. There's really no reason to go with a Q6600 these days, especially with the lackluster overclocking of the later batches.

maybe its cuz i went from an athlon xp 1800 to a Q6600 but i friggin loved that thing! my i7 doesnt really FEEL any faster...

smiththers2, thank you.. that is what i was looking for..!! God Bless

I purchased my Q6600 SLACR nearly 2 years ago now......never overclocked it. I assume it would be a good OC'r though as it was an early batch. My FPSs and video encoding still don't overwhelm it so, oddly enough, I have little itch to upgrade to anything in the CPU area.

I purchased my Q6600 SLACR nearly 2 years ago now......never overclocked it. I assume it would be a good OC'r though as it was an early batch. My FPSs and video encoding still don't overwhelm it so, oddly enough, I have little itch to upgrade to anything in the CPU area.

I did the same thing :) Q6600 was great but I also got the Q9550.

i used to keep mine around 3.2 but my room has no windows and gets too hot for that...

Like others have said, go 45nm.

I bought a Q6600 early on, and luckily it overclocks very nicely - 3.6GHz on air. Now with warmer summer ambient the temperatures of mine are bit high (upper 40s idle, and mid 70s prime loaded) but those temperatures are just fine for me. There's probably not much reason to push it as I do, but it's a free 1.2GHz! Why the hell would I not want the extra performance when it's there.

I figure I've got another solid year of solid computer performance, maybe even more with my overclock, but at this point, the Q6600 has had its day. If I had to build a new system now it would be i - but I don't, because my quad is awesome. :D

You do know what an FSB is, right?

no what is FSB? what the heck does FSB have to do with anything?

prime.jpg

My q6600 would eat a e8500 at lots of things like fold@home, music, video, ect. i wanted something fast that would run cool in the summer.

45.jpg

i wanted something fast that would run cool in the summer

What's the big deal about heat really? It's fucking TOASTING where I am right now. 6pm and it's still 102F. My processor is idling at 60C with a tuniq tower 120, 3.6ghz @1.5v.

But it still maintains it's distance from TjMax under load so who cares?

Are you talking about heating up your room?

hot outside->hot room->higher temps for your CPU->possible instability.

Same here, i live in ireland and its getting pretty warm (bit strange for this country lol) i currently run my q9550 under a TRUE black and a pair of 400-1200 rpm pwm fans, may switch those for my original 3 pin 2000 rpm sharkoon silent eagles, currently getting 54-51-47-47 under load at 3.6ghz, should be able to drop 5c of each core with the more powerful fans.

I agree with going with a 45NM CPU. I also had a Q6600 which is my GF's rig now. I still have the specs in my sig. It had an awesome run & is one of my favorite builds since my Atholon XP 2500+ build.

he could have just been showing us his voltage settings Captain Assumptions.

Lol. You made me laugh. Good for you.

I love my Q6600. My chip doesn't o/c as well as some others but it eats everything I throw at it.

I love my Q6600 as well, and similarly with the poster above my chip is a royal whore to overclock. I wouldn't go c2q now though, once i5 comes out I'm sure the market will change again and prices on the other, more recent equipment will fall to reasonable levels.

Go with a 45nm..
signature_distory.jpg
, the 6600 is getting a bit dated.

How so?

Did you just arbitrarily look at a calendar and decide that the chip is old now? As opposed to, you know, judging the chip based on it's own merits?

Because let's be realistic here, it's all "a bit dated" compared to i7, so if you are set on a 775 rig anyway there is really no reason to not go with a Q6600 if the price is right.

I am still running Q6600 on my main rig and loving it every min. I don't do a lot of over clocking yet since I don't need to and I don't play that much game.

I'll probably use this rig for a year or two and build an i7 rig. for what I need it is perfect.

I'm still very happy with my Q6600.

hot outside->hot room->higher temps for your CPU->possible instability.
I just hate having a broiling hot bedroom. The Q6600 is still perfectly adequate for gaming and such @ 2.4 GHz.

my 6600 is G0 and it runs really cool (32C - 40C) at stock speed.

Mine's a B3. Between it and the HD 4890 my water loop dumps a lot of heat into the room.

Like I said, I'm not concerned about hardware temps, I'm concerned about me. :) Personal comfort before overclocking.

I've loved mine but I can only get it to 3.2 stable. But I can not really justify the cost upgrading even to an i7 at the moment.

Mine's a B3. Between it and the HD 4890 my water loop dumps a lot of heat into the room.

Like I said, I'm not concerned about hardware temps, I'm concerned about me. :) Personal comfort before overclocking.

Doesn't get much ofter than that.

:p

The Q6600 is just a classic and that newegg offer is a great deal. It's still strong enough to stand up to any modern computing applications and can overclock like a champ. I have had a Q6600 for 2 years now and see absolutely no reason to upgrade. It's a great CPU.

How so?

Did you just arbitrarily look at a calendar and decide that the chip is old now? As opposed to, you know, judging the chip based on it's own merits?

Because let's be realistic here, it's all "a bit dated" compared to i7, so if you are set on a 775 rig anyway there is really no reason to not go with a Q6600 if the price is right.

Unless you are getting a hell of a deal the Q6600 is not worth it.

I'm a fan of the q6600 since it's still my main rig, but you know you can get an i7 920 now at MC for $199 right?

Back