Q9300 idle temps

vidoprof

Limp Gawd
So I just installed the 9300 and my idle temps with the stock cooler are at 58 degrees. Could this be right?

I am using CPU-z for the temperature measuring. My ambient temps are around 75 degrees. IN the same room as this though is a Q6600 and the idle temps are at 38 degrees, but this one is running an Artic Freezer Pro 7. I AM using different versions of the software though.

Neither one is overclocked at all and both are stock settings on the motherboard and everything else.

Any thoughts? Should the stock temps be that high?

thanks
ryan

The first thing to do would be get a more accurate temp monitoring app...RealTemp would be my recommendation.
Read the documentation and go through the calibration procedure.

Secondly, I'd start testing your chip's vCore.
My Gigabyte wants to use 1.2v as the default but in fact, the chip will run on much less.
For example, right now the q9300 is pushing 3GHz (400 x 7.5) with only 1.12v, OCCT stable for 6 hours (infinite loop, CPU stress only).

I never used the Intel supplied cooler on mine, so I can't say how well (or poorly) it might compare to a decent aftermarket unit...no doubt it's worse but how much worse I haven't a clue. Certainly, upgrading the HSF will help.

I would say that the combination of an inaccurate monitoring app and Intel's notoriously useless temp sensors (especially common in the 45nm chips) are why your readings seem artificially high.

thanks for the reply.

I guess I have to download that app and see what is really going on.

Thanks

Ryan

I will report back once I do that

How's your temps?

I have a Q9300 too and my idle temps are in the low 50's. Load in the mid 60's.

I believe I have one of the few faulty Q9300 processors with bad sensors, either that or a bad mobo. I need to find another socket 775 proc to borrow first to check. But you are not alone.

Q9300 CPUs are 95w processors. You went from a Quad 6600 to a Q9300?? Doesn't make much sense because the differences are not too far off..... You said your Q6600 ran at 38C idle?? Sounds more like an E6600 to me. Q6600s were 105w CPUs so the difference in temp should be almost the same, the Q9300 should be running a bit cooler then a Q6600.

~48C thru HW Monitor but Bios reports 26C idle for Q9300. Which one to believe? hehe
'

I just tested it. I think the Bios is Right the TJMax is 85c for Q9450. I dont know why realtemp think its 95c and coretemp think its 105c.

I just tested it. I think the Bios is Right the TJMax is 85c for Q9450. I dont know why realtemp think its 95c and coretemp think its 105c.

I think this is why I have been banging my head against the wall. My "CPU" sensor in the BIOS is way off from my cores. If it were to be close, the TjMax would have to be around 80-85c for my Q9300. Heatsink is cool to the touch and I've tried two heatsinks.

for me coretemp reports 55C while real temp reports 40C.. that's a wide range .. i don't know what to believe

realtemp is to believe you can adjust the tjmax on realtemp and coretemp in setting.ini to 95c or 85c.

Back