Q9450 vs i5 670

iPearl

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys.
I been looking around on the web about these 2 chips.
But it seems every other source would have a different review about them.

In one review the Q9450 is faster and in others the i5 670 is.
I was wondering if maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.

I am currently running a Q9450 with DDR3 2x2GB Ram.
I have access to a i5 670 and would be running that with the same DDR3 2x2GB ram.

My Main Question now is is the i5 670 Faster or not ?

i5 670 should not be a Tri Ram i think.
Q9450 Runs of a Intel board that has DDR3 slots.

What applications or games are you planning on using/running?

Some applications/games favor a fast dual core whereas some prefer a decent quad-core

Game Wise I dont play Much. I am just a casual gamer now. The only 2 games i play currently is Guild Wars which is a very old game, and Champions online which is also a not so demanding game.

I am running lots of Photoshop, CAD, little 3D Animated AutoDesk.
Some Video editing, nothing major mainly few min clips for Youtube, though the raw footage is 1080i/p

I would like to make it Guild Wars 2 Ready or Blade & Soul Ready but non of the games specs were released. And if they are i think the graphic cards will play a major role more over the CPU.

My delima is i cant figure which CPU of these two.

I was wondering if maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.
Essentially you are comparing a fast dual core* to a quad core with less processing power per core but more processing power in total. So it all comes down to whether your apps can take advantage of those cores or not.

Personally if it's for gaming i'd stick with your current quad core. Modern games are now being written to take advantage of quad cores and it is the more recent games that are likely to be most taxing on your computer.

For other tasks look at your CPU utilisation graphs in task manager to see if they are loading down more than two cores or not.

*yes it's got hyperthreading but the virtual cores are so weak compared to a proper core that it doesn't matter much

Last edited:
I am running lots of Photoshop, CAD, little 3D Animated AutoDesk.
Some Video editing, nothing major mainly few min clips for Youtube, though the raw footage is 1080i/p

From this usage alone, you're better off with the Q9450.

huh, i didn't know there were lga775 mobos that use ddr3, you learn something every day.

Anways, if you get that i5 chip you would have to buy a new mobo right? not worth it.

Yes there are a handfull of 775 DDR3 Mobos.
Mines does Both DDR2 and DDR3 ASUS P5G41C-M.
Asus makes 3 i think.
I remember there were more from other brands.

Back