alext5

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I just built a new computer for my girlfriend. Here are the specs:

Q9550
P5Q Pro
2x2GB DDR2-800 Muskin HP 996587
eVGA 9800GTX

The initial problem was that the computer was shutting itself after maybe 10 seconds (at the post screen).

At some point I was able to sneak in the BIOS to take a look at the temperature. It was at 100C. Pretty bad IMO.

I turned the 120mm fan behind the case to the max and closed the case.

I was able to install windows at 70C without crashing.

I watched temperature using Realtemp and everything seemed fine 40-50C. (At least not as worst as shutting down).

It was still bothering me so I opened the case again to see if the heatsink was installed properly and it seemed to be ok.

I kept looking in forums and some people suggested to change the auto voltage to the stock voltage. I put 1.125v and when I saved the computer shut down while rebooting.

I got the heatsink out the case and put it back in place and it still does the same thing.

I'll go buy thermal paste tomorrow because Intel stock one seems to suck real bad.

Is there anything else I can do beside applying new thermal paste correctly ? Any BIOS settings you can suggest me to change ?

Thanks.

Update:

I just bought artic silver 5 and spread it on my CPU like the instructions told to do it. As soon as I powered the computer on and went into the hardware monitor in the bios, it was already at 97C.

What more can I do ?

I believe the heatsink is not in full contact with the processor. Is this the original intel heatstink?

The push-pins require a fair amount of force to mount properly. Push them down as far as you can, and don't worry too much about damaging the board. If you still have problems, remove the motherboard from the case and double-check the back to make sure that all four pins are all the way through the holes and locked into place in the back.

I've fumbled with the intel type heatsinks pins alot. The best thing you can do is make sure that the plastic ends are not bent. Take off the heatsink, move each of the 4 pins into the right position. when you push the pins down you need to hear a "click" that means its in. If you don't hear the click then its not mounted correctly.

One thing I noticed on my Q9650 is that the CPU temp - not the individual cores but the CPU temp - seems very high. I think mine reads something like 93c in BIOS but that is clearly not right - my cores dont hit 70c under load and if the CPU was 93c...well that wouldn't happen.

May be some temp reporting weirdness with 45nm CPUs - but if you're using those damn push pins it's entirely possible the heatsink isn't touching.

When I have what I strongly suspect to be a heat issue, I use a desk fan, remove the side of the case and blow the desk fan at full blast directly into the area I'm having problems with. If you really are having temp issues - as long as the heatsink is touching - that may allow things to work. If it does, then you've at least confirmed for sure it's a real temp issue and not reporting weirdness. If it doesn't help, could of course still be temp and the fan just isn't enough too...

Thanks for your replies guys.

I bought a Zalman CNPS9700 and it run between 30 and 40 which is fair enough for me.

I triple checked the original heatsink and it wasn't solving the problem.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I bought a Zalman CNPS9700 and it run between 30 and 40 which is fair enough for me.

I triple checked the original heatsink and it wasn't solving the problem.

Glad to hear you got that sorted out. Your temps are fine now :)

Back