q9550 uesd to work in my mainboard... now only works in another?

Sathsayin

Gawd
I have a p43td/usb3 Asus motherboard. It was paired with some gskill ram and a q9550!
Worked great for 3 years.. then had a friend spill a drink in it... Wouldnt boot thought everything was dead.. I eventually put a e1400 in it.. and it works flawlessly.. put q9550 in it... it's dead... So i decided to put q9550 in a different board.. ..

I put it in a board that only supports 65 watt cpu's.. bear in mind the q9550 is 95 watt... boots at wrong speed.. 2.33ghz instead of 2.83... but it installs windows and works untilll you load something cpu intensive.. (then blue screens probably because it's pulling more then 65 watts") .. so even though this board doesnt support it.. i decided to lower the multiplier and the voltage and keep it at 65 watts are whatever.. RUNS GREAT... but will not boot in old board... but old board works great too?????

Please explain this too me?

liquid damage, what else is there to explain? Liquid damage causes electronics to do all sorts of funny things.

yeah I know...

but the board works great with 4 diffrent cpu's 95 watt and 65 watt no problems.. even overclocked the current e1400 to 3.1 ghz on default voltage. EVERYTHING works. zero problems in 9 months.. since the incident.

That proccesor works great in another board? It boots at wrong speed because the fsb on teh board cant go above 800 and its not on the cpu list.. but it works.

I just dont understand why it won't boot in this one anymore.. even if somethings wrong with cpu.. Which would be my suspect. any ideas specificly?

oh and one more thing.. I forgot to mention the board had some bent cpu pins.. i bent back...

does the dualcore chips use all the same pins that the quadcore would use??

if not that would explain why it wouldnt boot? I cant find this information anywhere.

Last edited:
does the dualcore chips use all the same pins that the quadcore would use??

I believe this is the case in this scenario. Some of the circuitry/connectors on the CPU and/or socket and possibly even further upstream failed from the liquid and apparently they're needed for the 45nm quads.

To narrow down, I'd find a board that can go to 1333 on the FSB and see if your q9550 works reliably at full speed.
The second thing to try would be to put another 45 nm quad core (or the 65 nm ones at least) in your nice soaky board and see if that works.

I believe this is the case in this scenario. Some of the circuitry/connectors on the CPU and/or socket and possibly even further upstream failed from the liquid and apparently they're needed for the 45nm quads.

To narrow down, I'd find a board that can go to 1333 on the FSB and see if your q9550 works reliably at full speed.
The second thing to try would be to put another 45 nm quad core (or the 65 nm ones at least) in your nice soaky board and see if that works.

Thank you for your quick reply! These were my thoughts it was hard to explain in retrospect to the actual problem since everything is working. I'm glad you understood what I was trying to say. Sometimes it's hard for me to put information across. Im going to scrub down the connectors on the cpu with alcohol. Im sure the VRM's are fine on the board. I can overclock 1/3 clock speed on 3 cpu's ive put in it with this ram. Im going to do some more testing. I had assumed waht you said all along. It's running great with an e1400 and a Radeon 6970. cpu stays at 100 percent lol so it's pulling all 65 watts. So power isnt a problem as far as i can tell.

Back