QMicra SFF Case

I joined an posted. We will see tomorrow if the case is for real...

pcdesignlabs said:
Qmicra is currently in production but we expect a marketing sample to be completed at the beginning of next week. This will be used to generate pictures which will be posted on our website and sent along with our press release.

its late in the week now...they got nothing. It seems like this is a case done by some computer science majors who just graduated and decided to make a company. They might have some good ideas but they have no idea on how to sell it.

:( I was really interested in this SFF. Oh well, reminds me of the Faraday Case awhile back ago....at least he got the pictures of the prototype...but never made it to retail. He did get pre-orders but I guess he refunded all of them.

A picture of the case is out

Qmicra%20Web%20View.jpg

http://www.pcdesignlab.com/Qmicra.htm

Yes...yes that is pretty ugly. That looks exactly like the concept they had on there..really nothing new, we need some pics of the inside, etc.

It is colored...they didn't post a picture of that..so that aside, I don't think it is ugly at all. I think the AeroCool one is rather ugly though.

If the edges on the top didnt extend past where they actually needed to be, it wouldn't be as bad. Then, just toss a handle on it and you have a nice little tool-box style micro pc. Look at the picture--on the top left and right it is a hexagonish shape, but the plastic endpiece goes up in the continuation of a traditional square, leaving an unneeded edge that detracts from the overall compactness of the case.

mrjminer said:
If the edges on the top didnt extend past where they actually needed to be, it wouldn't be as bad. Then, just toss a handle on it and you have a nice little tool-box style micro pc. Look at the picture--on the top left and right it is a hexagonish shape, but the plastic endpiece goes up in the continuation of a traditional square, leaving an unneeded edge that detracts from the overall compactness of the case.

maybe, but it seemingly provides a nice sturdy handle(s)

Steeeeve said:
maybe, but it seemingly provides a nice sturdy handle(s)
Why does everyone wants handles on a SFF? That's no laptop. It stays 99% of the time on your desktop. Just my 2 cents.

floflooo said:
Why does everyone wants handles on a SFF? That's no laptop. It stays 99% of the time on your desktop. Just my 2 cents.

Not neccessarily. The original development of the SFF community was with people who wanted Desktop-powered computers that were easy to pack up and transport to LAN parties. That's where the handle-on-the-SFF-case thing came from.

mrjminer said:
Here's what PCDLab had to say about your comment:

This comment was found in another forum and we thought it deserved some explaination.

The handle design serves several purposes. One is handles. Another is that they provide support for the upper corners to complete the solid box that is the case. We considered putting a handle on the top but didn't like the idea because it would made the case taller and you can't put things on top of our case without it sliding off because the handle is in the way.

The handles are also related to the cover. We could have used the handles as cross supports on the inside of the cover (as is traditionally done) but we put them on the outside for several reasons. First off, it makes the case very easy to assemble and take apart by exposing the supports. (We used liberal amounts of thumbscrews so that the entire case can be taken apart without tools.) Secondly, the tapered corners streamline the airflow inside the case and warm air doesn't have a place to accumulate. Finally, the cover wraps around as one piece and is end supported which means you can make a window cutout that extends the entire length of the cover! The handles themselves also offer a new feature for people to mod and are sturdier than any other SFF case handle(s) made that we could find.

Someone did once mentioned that it would be nice if it had a single top handle as it's nicer to carry their computer with one hand. So we looked into it and found a strap that can be adjusted to work perfectly with our case. We know because we've been using it!

http://www.geargrip.com/details_gglt.php?UID=19151837584421cb7cca13e

Anyway, there's a lot more going on with Qmicra than can be seen in the first picture as you will discover in the near future. (I could write volumes about the removable cage alone.) In the mean time, feel free to ask us any questions you may have about Qmicra here and we will answer them!

-pcdlab
And here's a higher res image for you guys to drool on!

qmicrawebviewhires2sg.jpg

I think it's a good first effort, but nothing insanely good. My mind might change though. ;)

I actually like it too. Seems like a lot of thought went into this sucker. A painted one might look even better. You can get colored lexan which might be nice for the front and maybe color the case some how. Lots of things you can do with this case. I can't wait to see more.

M4rk said:
I hope they make one in black! :D
They do, this looks pretty exciting. They thought of a lot of things I would never things of...There is still a lot to see but right now it looks pretty positive.

svet-am said:
Not neccessarily. The original development of the SFF community was with people who wanted Desktop-powered computers that were easy to pack up and transport to LAN parties. That's where the handle-on-the-SFF-case thing came from.
Even if you go to LANs, your SFF probably doesn't move most of the time. And when it does it goes in a bag. Handles are not useful to me. ;)

floflooo said:
Even if you go to LANs, your SFF probably doesn't move most of the time. And when it does it goes in a bag. Handles are not useful to me. ;)

i mobe my sff using handles :confused: and I put the rest of the crap in my bookbag

yeah, I find handles very useful...two would actually be the best because I carry it in front....the key is, will it bend the edges of the Qmicra to carry it around by the handles.

It looks pretty decent. Get rid of the grills on the front and it will look much better.

MikeyB said:
It looks pretty decent. Get rid of the grills on the front and it will look much better.

what do you mean by getting rid of the grills? The fans gotta get air some how :) just a hole would look even worse.

Remember, there is a sheet of acyrlic over the metal front.

Steeeeve said:
what do you mean by getting rid of the grills? The fans gotta get air some how :) just a hole would look even worse.

Remember, there is a sheet of acyrlic over the metal front.

They could nix the fans in front and make the outer shell a mesh a la powermac g5. Fixed.

I would definitely be interested in a Black version and would likely try watercooling with a dual 80mm rad. like Jen's custom case setup :cool:

Would anyone mind photoshopping some ideas of what a black version would look like? Steeeeve wanted a VT theme too. (MSPaint FTW)

A2TheRizzo said:
Would anyone mind photoshopping some ideas of what a black version would look like? Steeeeve wanted a VT theme too. (MSPaint FTW)

Something like this:
qmicrawebviewhires2sg.jpg

haha you should see my maroon case

VTCase.bmp

I took out the fan holes to make it look....better?

Back