Qmicra v2e ATX mods?

amk320

n00b
Does anyone know if it's possible to mod this case to hold a full-sized ATX motherboard, and if so, have some links? I can't seem to find anything on the subject anywhere.

Sure it can be.. You will just have the motherboard sticking out the side thats all ..

Yeah, it was done with the MicroFly as well..the question is, why would you want to do that?

I remember it being done to the original Qmicra. The person who did is just flipped the motherboard so the ports had to come out the side and not the rear. Quite a bit of work that would need to be done as far as chopping off the atx posts in the case already, tapping the case and adding new posts or weld or however you want it. Then cutting the case for the motherboards rear ports. The original !micra case would have been easier as it was aluminum I believe and the sides of the case were solid and didn't have the mesh screens for airflow like the QV2E has.

I just picked one up as the first piece for a new build. But I'm having a rough time finding a micro ATX motherboard I like..

I just picked one up as the first piece for a new build. But I'm having a rough time finding a micro ATX motherboard I like..
Really? What kind are you looking for. mATX is on par with ATX in terms of performance now. Unless you are going for OCing records then ATX is really just a waste of space. You even got SLi and Crossfire for micro-atx now.

Let us know some of your specs you want and we can find a good board for you...or email me Steve (at) sffclub.com and I'll send you some info.

mATX motherboards cover all the bases (maybe not but I can't think of anything missing). I think it's more the cases that are the problem IMHO. SO if you already have a case, then that should be easy.

Well, I'd ideally like an AM3 mATX SLI board, but.. one doesn't exist. The only piece of my system that isn't ancient is my GTX 260. I've had it in there for a couple of years, but it's still too worthwhile to part with, so I'd like to get another one to do some SLI action.

There are all of.. three? AM3, SLI, DDR3 motherboards, and not a one of them is ATX, so I'm forced to go with Intel.. and the whole two socket thing they're doing is confusing and lame, and I wanted to stay away from it all.

SLI would also fill up all my expansion slots, so I'd like a motherboard with a pretty nice on-board sound. With all that in mind, I think it really just leaves the two ROG boards.. the Rampage II Gene, and the Maximus III Gene.

The Rampage II Gene apparently has bad NB heat issues, and is also (IMO) ugly as sin. The Maximus III Gene is.. the same price, despite being 1156.

I still haven't ruled out AMD. The 1055T, the i7 860, and the i7 930 are all the same price at Microcenter around here. I'm kinda drawn to the six-core thing, but then I'm pigeon-holed into ATI. I've never had an ATI card that didn't piss me off.

The 1055T and i7s run about the same speed in heavily threaded apps, due to the i7's 8 threads vs the 1055T's 6.

IMO you should do 1156, if you aren't willing to leap to x58. I've got nothing against AMD or ATI, but IMO right now they don't have what you want/need.

I went with the Rampage II Gene. But I'm already having buyer's remorse reading some 1055T reviews, and other things about the future of Intel's.. confusing.. dual-socket platforms. I've also gotta go with 4g of RAM and not make use of the triple channel to offset the extra cost of the motherboard.

Last edited:
I went with the Rampage II Gene. But I'm already having buyer's remorse reading some 1055T reviews, and other things about the future of Intel's.. confusing.. dual-socket platforms. I've also gotta go with 4g of RAM and not make use of the triple channel to offset the extra cost of the motherboard.

I don't understand: if you are not gonna use the triple-channel, then why the R2G? You'd be better off with a Maximus 3 Gene. Or, even better, the Giga P55M-UD4 (much cheaper). And if an AMD processor is so important for you, ditch the GTX and buy a mATX 890GX mobo.

Seriously If you want to stay AMD loose the 260. Other wise giga has a nice 1156 board that supports either cf or sli

Memory prices are kinda obscene, hence the desire to spend less on it. I've also read that there's not a noticeable difference between triple and dual channel. As for going with the Rampage II Gene, I figured it was the better board for the same price. The 930 and the 860 are the same price..?

As for the GTX 260, it's the only modern piece of hardware I have in here, I don't see any reason to get rid of it. And adding a second one seems like the cheapest way to upgrade my graphics solution, no?

And the 890 GXM-G65 is the first board I had when I picked up the 1055T at Microcenter. I returned it because, at least according to the wonderful world of the internets, it won't support the 1055T without a BIOS update, and I didn't think it would be able to post. I also wanted to make use of the 260 in SLI, in an attempt to save money on my upgrade. In fact, I wanted the whole upgrade to be a budget one. It's turned into something so much more.

Last edited:
And the 890 GXM-G65 is the first board I had when I picked up the 1055T at Microcenter. I returned it because, at least according to the wonderful world of the internets, it won't support the 1055T without a BIOS update, and I didn't think it would be able to post.

Wait a minute, is that true? I've got that board and the 1090T, but I'm waiting on my new case to ship before I can use them.

Update: Looking around it appears to be true. Son of a b!tch, now I'll have to order a Sempron 140 just so I can update the BIOS. This blows.

Last edited:
Yeah!

When you factor in the extra cost of getting an old Sempron to flash the board, my AMD configuration ended up being nearly the same price as the i7 one I came up with. Some fellas on the AMD forums told me that there's a good chance the board will work with the chip, though not recognize it correctly until the BIOS is updated.

I didn't want to risk it, since if I'd opened the items, I wouldn't have been able to get my money back.

amk320, you may want to look into the micro ATX Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 as NichoTL mentioned. It supports SLI and Crossfire and is reasonably priced at $140. Then, choose any socket 1156 CPU and you're good to go with a dual channel DDR3 kit.

Onboard audio will probably sound just like any other new sound card on the market, onboard or not (seriously how many people can actually hear a difference that wasn't just software post-processing?).

My Qmicra v2e arrived today. I'm kinda bummed, since I'm not much for modding and I thought there'd be out of box support to mount two front fans, as it certainly looked like there would be from the pictures I'd seen. I don't know the first thing about drilling fan holes.. and I'm not so sure how comfortable I'd feel doing so to an expensive case.

I don't think it needs front fans. Your video card will be drawing air from the side openings. One fan pushing on the CPU heatsink + the exhaust fan + PSU fan (also acting as exhaust) is plenty of cooling for the CPU area.

Back