Quad Core in Stock at the Egg

:eek:

that's 2000+ PPD on the smp client. quick, someone buy me one.

OK someone needs to score a "sample" from the Intel rep and it can be th prize for next contest.
What do you say Moose? Wine and dine the Intel rep? ;)

pcfan10110 said:
I've been meaning to ask but what does "folding" mean?

Women with large breasts knock on your door 4 times a week if you fold on 4 cores.

:D

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1022346

Sticky there, most info. Basically it helps cure various diseases, cancers and a like (along with the women).

Download the client, install 4x instances, be a man, shower after the 3rd lady and report back!

marty9876 said:
Women with large breasts knock on your door 4 times a week if you fold on 4 cores.

:D

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1022346

Sticky there, most info. Basically it helps cure various diseases, cancers and a like (along with the women).

Download the client, install 4x instances, be a man, shower after the 3rd lady and report back!

The third lady? Is there some significance to this or is 3 just your lucky number?

Actually what every man needs is a hot tub; just dunk them in, no particular order plus you have the ability to re-dunk at any time ;) :cool:

tigerdirect has the oem version for $1100, tankguys charged 1050, but were OOS last I checked. ClubIt was first at $1300 for retail, but increased their price so that they are just undercutting the 'egg.

I agree, 1300 bucks is a good price if they throw in a good mobo, ram, PSU, and a case.
but i'm a little greedy. ;)

if I'm throwing $1300-1500 for a CPU, I damn well better get a case, video card, ram, mb, hd, etc thrown in as well.....

Hell... for $1500 you could buy some x1900s and wipe the floor with that CPU....

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

OSUguy98 said:
Hell... for $1500 you could buy some x1900s and wipe the floor with that CPU....

QFT!

Also you have to ask yourself how much price gouging is going on when the price varies from ~$1100 to $1500.

Some people might like to bend over and let Newegg have unencumbered access to their wallet but not me!

Anyway sorry if it sounds like I'm thread crapping but I don't mean it that way. It is good to see that a quad core is on the market. Now they just need some competition to bring the price down.

Roman79 said:
QFT!

Also you have to ask yourself how much price gouging is going on when the price varies from ~$1100 to $1500.

Some people might like to bend over and let Newegg have unencumbered access to their wallet but not me!

Anyway sorry if it sounds like I'm thread crapping but I don't mean it that way. It is good to see that a quad core is on the market. Now they just need some competition to bring the price down.

AMD is finally going to be shipping 65nm chips, and they're going on and on about their native quad core chip - barcelona.. I hope they can bring it to market sooner than later, it sucks not having competition.

OSUguy98 said:
if I'm throwing $1300-1500 for a CPU, I damn well better get a case, video card, ram, mb, hd, etc thrown in as well.....

However, you need that (Quad Core) CPU to feed those x1900's

not necessarily.... you could get a couple SLI boards and a couple few x1900s and some "low-end" CPUs for the boards for less than $1500.....

Yep I just picked up a E6400 Core2, 8800GTS, 680i board, 4 gigs of RAM, 700W Power Supply and a Hard Drive for less than that. I could have done quad cores (on 2 different machines just by dropping the video card and using a different board) which IMO ith the exception of the power bill is a better solution anyway

T-

Tormond said:
Yep I just picked up a E6400 Core2, 8800GTS, 680i board, 4 gigs of RAM, 700W Power Supply and a Hard Drive for less than that. I could have done quad cores (on 2 different machines just by dropping the video card and using a different board) which IMO ith the exception of the power bill is a better solution anyway

T-
Where did you get all that from? What RAM? and who makes the PSU?

I was reading that and noticed a few things :

Each pair of cores shares one L2 cache
All four cores share one front-side bus/memory.

Call me stupid, noobish and behind the times if you like... but this seems like a poor solution for anything "intense" such as gaming/encoding multiple ponographic films at once (this cpu is aimed toward the gamers and photochoppers, im assuming?).

Ive worked with 4-8 cpu servers for many years (not as a job, just whenever someone I know breaks one). What ive always noticed with the compaqs and dells, each CPU or possibly pair of CPUs have their own memory card. You had to put the same amount of memory in each card, for each cpu/cpu pair. And as far as I could tell, you could load down one cpu or even two to the point where a normal single cpu PC wouldnt even be able to click on folders in windows... it doesnt really have any effect on the other two, you can continue to open up crap and do things assuming you arnt using all of the memory or working the hard drive to death.

Yes, this cpu is a hell of a lot cheaper than going out and buying 4 cpus, 4 handfulls of ram sticks etc... but Im wondering what performance hit it will have compared to a true 4-socket, 4 cpu, 4 ram bank computer..

drizzt81 said:
Where did you get all that from? What RAM? and who makes the PSU?

OCZ GameStream Power Supply, Corsair RAM (whatever the 800 stuff that has the really weird chopped up heatsinks on top 2 2x1GB kits) and I bought it all at the Egg

bob said:
Yeah, I saw that too. U_M found this article where they ran (I think) the blend prime95 test on one, and didn't hit 100% load on all cores - it was around 85-90% per core. So for my next system I'm seriously considering dual Opterons... they do memory right ;) And if folding moves as much data as I think it does, this could actually be an issue. Plus I'd hate for something like this to put a hard limit on the performance of the CPU - I think it might, so I'm leaning away from the Kentsfields. Plus $1100+ on a single CPU is a tad excessive, especially because the motherboards are getting into the price range of a dual Opteron board.

I'm also curious to see what AMD's 65nm parts bring to the table, and what their new stuff will do, and what ATI's stuff does, and yeah... it'll probably be awhile longer before I upgrade. :(

the black knight always triumphs!

Back