Quad Cored 79 C ??

DaConfusion

Limp Gawd
Untitled-1.jpg

I will restart my computer and use my laptop to post the bios settings I have enabled.

CoreTemp will not run on my computer for some reason (assuming 64 bit?)

voltage.jpg

DAMN I think Asus progs are increasing my memory voltages. The specs say 2.0-2.1V

I SEE 2.3V !!

But in bios i have it set at 2.0V and the cpu votlage at AUTO.

cpuZ.jpg

Thats what CPU-Z reports.

EDIT:

Okay here are the bios settings:

EXTREME TWEAKER

[MANUAL] Ai Overclock Tuner
[AUTO] OC From CPU Level Up
[MANUAL] CPU Ratio Control
[ 9 ] Ratio CMOS setting
[333] FSB Frequency
[Auto] FSB Strap to North Bridge <------------------- Should I change this??
[100] PCIE Frequency

[DDR2-667Mhz] DRAM Frequency
[Auto] DRAM Command Rate
[AUTO] DRAM Timing Control
Primary Info: 5-5-5-13-3-44-5-3
Secondary Info: 8-3-5-4-6-4-6
[AUTO] DRAM Static Read Control
[AUTO] Ai Clock Twister
[AUTO] Transaction Booster

[1.12500V] CPU Voltage <------------------Was set at Auto at the time those screen shots were taken, but I am going to set this bad boy to the value that author of the oc howto had
[AUTO] CPU PLL Voltage
[AUTO] North Bridge Voltage
[2.00V] DRAM Voltage <-------------------------Rating for my memory is 2.00-2.10V http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231145
[AUTO] FSB Termination Voltage
[AUTO] South Bridge Voltage
[AUTO] Loadline calibration
[AUTO] CPU GTL Reference
[AUTO] North Bridge GTL Reference
[AUTO] DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage <-------------What is this? Sounds like something I should be concerned with
[AUTO] DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage <-------------Same as above
[AUTO] SB 1.5 V Voltage

[NB Volt] NB LED Selection<---------------I believe these control the lights on my mobo to tell me if the voltage is ghey, but thanks to the gtx and Tuniq 120, i cant see half of them
[SB Volt] SB Led Selection
[CPU Volt] CPU LED Selection
[Enabled] Voltiminder LED

[DISABLED] CPU Spread Spectrum <--------------has to do with i believe EMF and whatnot, disabled it
[AUTO] PCIE Spread Spectrum <---------I tried to disable this one, but Vista stopped booting, so it was set on auto

What heatsink are you using? When I used the stock heatsink and overclocked to 3Ghz, i would see temps as high as 85C. I switched to using a Thermaltake mini-typhoon and I was able to bump the OC to 3.3 but the temps would still go up to ~77C during load. Now, using my Tuniq Tower 120 it rarely goes above 65C during load.

These are all core temperatures btw, which will be higher than what you might be used to on older chips or motherboards that had sensors on the socket or not otherwise directly on the core.

Under the Advanced Tab

Configure Advanced Cpu Settings

[Manual] CPU Ratio Control
[ 9] Ratio CMOS Setting

[DISABLED] C1E Support <----Ill turn it on once everything works
[Enabled] CPU TM Function
[Disabled] Vanderpool Technology <----Was enabled for some reason, off now
[Enabled] Execute Disable Bit
[Disabled] Max CPUID Value Limit

Thank you so much for any help.

What heatsink are you using? When I used the stock heatsink and overclocked to 3Ghz, i would see temps as high as 85C. I switched to using a Thermaltake mini-typhoon and I was able to bump the OC to 3.3 but the temps would still go up to ~77C during load. Now, using my Tuniq Tower 120 it rarely goes above 65C during load.

These are all core temperatures btw, which will be higher than what you might be used to on older chips or motherboards that had sensors on the socket or not otherwise directly on the core.

I am using the Tuniq Tower 120
G0 Q6600
eVGA 8800GTX
CM690 Case with extra fans installed
Asus Maximus Formula (NON SE)
500GB Segate sata HDD
G.Skill 4 gb (2x 2GB) Ram http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231145

All on vista x64 Ultimate

[1.12500V] CPU Voltage

Caused blue screen in vista, trying the next step up, I forgot to note the voltage but I am sure it was around 1.13 V

It has booted in so far...

Every time I boot Core Temp, it keeps popping up with an error saying Driver has failed to load, some info will not be available and then bombs me with those errors

Under the Advanced Tab

Configure Advanced Cpu Settings

[Manual] CPU Ratio Control
[ 9] Ratio CMOS Setting

[DISABLED] C1E Support <----Ill turn it on once everything works
[Enabled] CPU TM Function
[Disabled] Vanderpool Technology <----Was enabled for some reason, off now
[Enabled] Execute Disable Bit
[Disabled] Max CPUID Value Limit

Thank you so much for any help.

I have that Tuniq 120 and right now its at 40C. Did you put the thermal paste? and did you do it correctly?

I dont think its that, I believe that program is reading the wrong temperature.

In BIOS I see 15-22 C while in windows it jumps to 76-79C

Is there an accurate way to find my cpu temp?

The paste I am using is Artic Silver 5, and the application method was as on their site, one thin line, place heat sink on top, turn 1 degree left and right.

revised.jpg

See now it has 16C (i know it says 15, buts averaging 16C)

I just dont think that program is showing me the right number since everyone here says its usually off by 15C

I ran prime95 for 14 minutes and no problems, decided to restart and lower the cpu voltage some more and the BIOS tells me SB Overheat Protection (South Bridge). Everest Ultimate reported no crazy temperatures.

My bios tells me SB Temp is 37.5C
NB temp is 34.5C

My SB Overheat and NB is set at 90C...

What is an acceptable temperature for the south and north bridge?

Thank you

Can you install Everest and tell us the temps from there? Core temp is really confusing...The program doesn't name the temperatures that great. How the hell are you suppose to know what like Temp 2 is?

Done:

I have lowered the cpu voltage to 1.18750V in the bios, so far no blue screen, im gonna wait 10 min and drop it some more. I am trying to find the absolute lowest voltage, then once that value is established, do the same for DRAM and then move on to long periods of testing

revised-2.jpg

Speedfan isn't reading your temps properly -- it hasn't assigned the numbers to the proper sensors. Make sure you're using the latest beta of CoreTemp if you're running Vista 64bit -- it supposedly works, but I haven't tried.

Go by the Everest numbers.

Every time I restart, I keep getting "SB Overheat Protection !"

I dont think its even overheating.

Thank you everyone so far for the help I really appreciate it.

CoreTemp will not run on Vista x64 without disabling driver signing. IMO, not worth it when I can run Everest and get good temps.

It appears SpeedFan has issues with your motherboard.

The paste I am using is Artic Silver 5, and the application method was as on their site, one thin line, place heat sink on top, turn 1 degree left and right.

revised.jpg

See now it has 16C (i know it says 15, buts averaging 16C)

I just dont think that program is showing me the right number since everyone here says its usually off by 15C

speedfan 4.33 reports the wrong temps, you need to get 4.34.

Back