Quake IV and 8800GTX OC2

Just installed quake IV on my new rig yesterday and in order for me to get it to run well I had to jack all the settings UP. 16x AA, supersampling, 16x AF, 1680x1050 (native res on my LCD). The difference between using multisampling and supersampling made all the difference in performance. Which is weird because in all other games, using SS makes games run worse. Even so, I'm still a tad disappointed with its performance in certain areas. I'd say about 85% of the time it runs badass and the rest of the time the frames are acceptable and in a few spots the frames are a tad low or the games feels a bit sluggish for my tastes. I've got the game patched to 1.3 I believe it is, and I've got it set to make use of dual core (which helped a ton). My video drivers are also up to date. Anything else I can do to get it to run any better? Putting settings lower doesnt help peformance. Anybody else have a similar rig with any thoughts on performance? Are my expectations too high or what? I just figured this rig would be able to run this game at a more or less constant 60fps.

My system is in my sig

Back