Quality PS for a decent price.

Phantoms

Limp Gawd
I'm wanting to upgrade my ATI 9800pro to a X1950Pro AGP and I'm hearing the power requirements are harsh. I'm currently using a Antec TruePower 380watt PS that's served me well for 3+ years. I'm looking to find an inexpensive quality PS to power my system that will handle the X1950Pro.

The rest of my system is:

Gigabyte 8KNXP rev. 2.0
P4 Northwood 3.2
1gb (2x512) Corsair TwinX XMS memory (2-3-3-6)
SATA Maxtor DiamondMax10 250GB HD
SATA Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB HD
Tyan Radeon 9800Pro 128mb (currently)
Samsung DVD-ROM and CDRW drives.
Zalman CNPS9700 LED cooler
2 Antec 120mm BB case fans.
Wireless keyboard/mouse (RX powered off USB)
Cordless Joystick (RX powered off USB)

Any idea what you'll be doing/using in the future? That might be a hard question to answer, but let me be the first to recommend the Corsair HX520.

I think that Antec 380W might be able to power that system with X1950Pro, but if you're concerned you could buy new one. IMHO it would be overkill to buy Corsair HX 520W, because it's way more than you'll need now, and it doesn't makes sense to buy PSU which you'll transfer to your next configuration - you really don't know what you'll be buying some time in the future, it might need less than Corsair 520W, but it also might need more than Corsair 520W. Take what you need now (I really doubt that you'll make anymore updates to that rig). Seasonic S12 380W would be fine, or S12 430W if you must. I know people who power their C2D rigs + X1950Pro with 380W Seasonic, without any problems.

I'd get a big power supply regardless, just for future headroom (crossfire? the new prescott of c2d? another 8 drives?), and that it doesn't cost much more. It's like buying a high-end honda civic, or a mid-end accord. The difference isn't much, and one performs more and has more room to grow.

I'd get a big power supply regardless, just for future headroom (crossfire? the new prescott of c2d? another 8 drives?), and that it doesn't cost much more. It's like buying a high-end honda civic, or a mid-end accord. The difference isn't much, and one performs more and has more room to grow.

What future upgrade? You mean his next rig? Because I seriously doubt he'll do any updates to rig he mentioned (it's P4 on Gigabyte 8KNXP if you didn't notice). IMHO there's absolutely no sense in buying PSU for some imaginary rig which someone will buy (maybe) next year, or even later. Besides, he'll be without PSU in this rig if he transfers it to his new rig, and that doesn't makes any sense either. He could leave that rig as file server, media center PC, NAS etc. When he decides to buy new rig, be it C2D or whatever will be hot on market at the moment of purchase, then he would need to worry about what kind of PSU is appropriate for that system, and eventual CPU / GPU / HDD upgrades for that rig.

Back