Queitest Hard Drive Manufacturer

fLiPaChu

Gawd
Hey guys, i'm looking for the quietest hard drive possible without using a some sort of enclosure. Either a SATA drive or regular IDE (doesn't need to be a raptor or anything), i just need a really quiet solution to make room for some watercooling parts, so what would you guys suggest? Thanks.

It would be nice to run a RAID setup, but I really only need a single drive.. preferably 100gb or above.

flip

edit: oh right, it's gotta be at least 7200 rpm as well.. and I guess heat's a big issue, but we're looking for ultra quiet :D.

I had (I broke it! AHH) a 60GB Seagate.
It was so quiet (and this isn't a lie) I had to unplug it once while the machine was on to see if it was working.
:D

generally speaking you will probably be happy with most any HDD that uses Fluid Dynamic Bearings (FDB)

the Seagates that do are widely considered the quietest
and many members recommend them

I haven't been impressed with Seagate noise in the 7200.7 series. That's not to say that they are quieter than the average 7200 RPM drive. The Barracuda IV and V were especially quiet, though. My experiences with Samsung SpinPoint P80s have been that the drives are extremely quiet throughout their operating regime, not just at idle. I would recommend the P80 to anyone who wants a very quiet 100+ GB drive.

and as far as performance and reliability? haven't really heard of spinpoint before...

Flip

Performance is right up there with Hitachi/Maxtor/Western Digital units of comparable cache sizes. I've never heard of a failed Samsung drive, though I'm sure they're out there. I have installed them on dozens of systems so far without any troubles.

Samsung makes some great hard drives. They are extremely quiet and still perform great. Most, if not all, of them still have a 3 year warranty too.

To throw up another HD, what about them Hitachi HDS722580x or 7K250 series.. specifically looking at the 80gb SATA versions.

flip

I have a new 160 ig Seagate 8 meg cache 48bit LBA and it is quiet I mean like really quiet you can put your ear up to it and can hardly hear it but it is very fast

Back