Question about 8pin 12v mb connector

Aku12

Gawd
Hi, I just upgraded my computer, I was on a budget and figured since i upgraded my PSU about 6 months ago i could sneak by without upgrading it. When I put my computer together i found that my new motherboard requires an 8 pin 12v line and my PSU only has a 4 pin. Is there any way around this or do I just need to purchase a new PSU?

My new system is:
EVGA 590sli mb
x2 4800+
8600gts

my old PSU is a Xclio Goodpower 500 which i purchased because this forum recomended it for the price.

If i do need to upgrade the PSU (like i said im on a budget and pretty much blew it on the rest of the system already) what do you recommend me buying? Im hoping to spend under 75 shipped. I know this is not going to get me a top notch PSU, but as you can see from what i purchased, im not really a top end kinda guy. Looking for the biggest bang for the buck.

thanks

I believe you don't actually have to have the 8 pin just the 4 pin and it should be fine until you start trying to give you processor a little more juice to overclock it; another forum member should come by and give you the information about this.

On the other hand if you have to buy something to get your system working you could always get a 4 to 8 pin adapter they're like, 5 dollars that I'm sure you could pick up at your local PC Shop.

thanks for the quick responce, i guess i should have looked up the adapter instead of researching new PSU's for the last hour.

seems as though my PSU would be plenty for my system if it wasnt for this one cable.

The manual said it needed the 8pin or it would be unstable. So i went looking for a new PSU, but i kept reading people recommending my PSU to more powerful system's than what im running. So im pretty sure my PSU can handle it, it just doesnt have the correct connector.

The 4 pin will key into the 8 pin connector and be fine 99% of the time.

The manual said it needed the 8pin or it would be unstable. So i went looking for a new PSU, but i kept reading people recommending my PSU to more powerful system's than what im running. So im pretty sure my PSU can handle it, it just doesnt have the correct connector.

The manual HAS to say that...the unstable thing in order to cover their butts.

All those extra four wires do is lower the resistance between the PSU amd the motherboard. The fact that you are only using a 4800+ highly indicates that this issue is not really a factor for you.

I don't know... I've had plenty of machines work fine with 4-pin connectors in 8-pin receptacles, but I've also had burnt connectors occur more often when using 4-pin connectors in 8-pin receptacles.

excellent, thanks guys, thats pretty much what i thought. I googled it and couldn't find anything about it so i came here hoping that is what you guys would say.

thanks

edit:
I don't know... I've had plenty of machines work fine with 4-pin connectors in 8-pin receptacles, but I've also had burnt connectors occur more often when using 4-pin connectors in 8-pin receptacles.

would you recommend me buy the 4 dollar adapter? or does it not matter?
As i stated im only using a 4800+ and im not going to be OC'ing for quite a while (pretty big jump, im not going to need to OC to see the performance increase)

Back