Question about 9.12 CCC & Hotfix CCC

l88bastard

2[H]4U
Ok so I have become pretty good at installing ATI drivers, but i must say it is quite an hour long ordeal.

I have 9.12 installed, and then I got the 9.12 hotfix. I installed the hotfix drivers, but I did not install the CCC that came with the hotfix, because it is a complete bitch to uninstall the CCC and then reinstall the CCC and if I don't have to do it I wont!

So my question is; The CCC in the 9.12 dload is 150mb and the CCC in the 9.12 hotfix dload is also 150mb! So can I just keep the CCC from the 9.12 or should I try and get the one from the hotfix working?

I am running a 5970 and have a 5870 sitting on the shelf and I would like to Trifire them for crossfire, but I wanna make sure the software is correct before I install the second card.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

I would personally make sure you're running the same CCC version that was supplied with the driver...

Why do you feel the need to remove the old CCC before installing the new one and why is it such a long ordeal for you? I've never had a problem just running the installer and letting it take care of things.

NOOOOOO it does not work that way for me...not at all.

Here is a thread detailing the hell I go thru with ati driver installs
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035063635&posted=1#post1035063635

I tried to go over my old one again with the 9.12 and BOOOOM computer Fucked up all over again, so everything you see in that prior thread, i just had to go thru again today at 7pm!

So that is why I am hesitant to install the new CCC, and that is why I am trying to see if it will make a difference

Since you mentioned work in your other thread, just leave it how it is for now and make sure you get your work done. After that, do a complete re-install of your OS, as you shouldn't have such issues when installing drivers. ATI drivers should install over each other without any trouble. If you do have trouble, then you can do the driver sweep process.

Also, the hotfix as far as I know is for specific fixes, if none of those pertain to you or your system- then don't worry about installing them.

hotfix are standalone drivers and do not require 9.12 to be installed first.

Since you mentioned work in your other thread, just leave it how it is for now and make sure you get your work done. After that, do a complete re-install of your OS, as you shouldn't have such issues when installing drivers. ATI drivers should install over each other without any trouble. If you do have trouble, then you can do the driver sweep process.

Also, the hotfix as far as I know is for specific fixes, if none of those pertain to you or your system- then don't worry about installing them.

No I am keeping this for a weekend project so I am not going to mess with it until then. It pertains to my system because I have a 5970 and a 5870 and I have three monitors that i run in eyefinity.

Ok so I have become pretty good at installing ATI drivers, but i must say it is quite an hour long ordeal.

I have 9.12 installed, and then I got the 9.12 hotfix. I installed the hotfix drivers, but I did not install the CCC that came with the hotfix, because it is a complete bitch to uninstall the CCC and then reinstall the CCC and if I don't have to do it I wont!

So my question is; The CCC in the 9.12 dload is 150mb and the CCC in the 9.12 hotfix dload is also 150mb! So can I just keep the CCC from the 9.12 or should I try and get the one from the hotfix working?

I am running a 5970 and have a 5870 sitting on the shelf and I would like to Trifire them for crossfire, but I wanna make sure the software is correct before I install the second card.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Driver is independent of CCC as far as I know. CCC is just to change settings and provided that there are no bugfixes in CCC, you'll do fine with the other 9.12.

Personally, I installed 9.12 hotfix directly over 9.12 without a problem. Just remember to install them as admin ;)

hotfix are standalone drivers and do not require 9.12 to be installed first.

This is absolute truth. Only the hotfix!
^This!! 1000x this!!!

Why the hell do people keep spouting off FUD that you have to install both sets of drivers? The hotfix driver package is just that, a driver package. It is NOT A PATCH. Come on people, do you even read the info on the download pages?

Thats true. The hotfix IS standalone. :)

I only installed both because the 9.12 was ready yesterday from Sapphire so I installed it then, otherwise I would have just installed the hotfix.

NOOOOOO it does not work that way for me...not at all.

Here is a thread detailing the hell I go thru with ati driver installs
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035063635&posted=1#post1035063635

I tried to go over my old one again with the 9.12 and BOOOOM computer Fucked up all over again, so everything you see in that prior thread, i just had to go thru again today at 7pm!

So that is why I am hesitant to install the new CCC, and that is why I am trying to see if it will make a difference

That's because you rebooted in the middle of an install of a *leaked unoffical* driver. Start the 9.12 hotfix install *from ATI's site* and leave it the fuck alone. Go watch a movie or something. It'll install just fine, I promise.

Also, don't uninstall the old drivers, don't do anything. Just run the downloaded installer - don't try and second guess the installer or do whatever voodoo magic you think helps, because it clearly doesn't.

I went from 9.11 to 9.12 hotfix - installed on top of. I just ran an express install and rebooted. (usually I uninstall reboot install reboot) ran 3dmark06 and some games without issues.

That's because you rebooted in the middle of an install of a *leaked unoffical* driver. Start the 9.12 hotfix install *from ATI's site* and leave it the fuck alone. Go watch a movie or something. It'll install just fine, I promise.

Also, don't uninstall the old drivers, don't do anything. Just run the downloaded installer - don't try and second guess the installer or do whatever voodoo magic you think helps, because it clearly doesn't.

It sat there for over A HALF FUCKING HOUR DOING NOTHING WITH BLANK FUCKING SCREENS and it did the same today when I tried to go over with the 9.12s.

If you were paying attention in my prior post you would have seen that I am also having an issue where it will not get rid of the recycle and deletion windows when I move or delete a file. I have to ctl+alt+del and manually tell it to cancel the deletion box. This singular issue is what I believe to be causing it not to let me load CCC over a prior version, because the install locks up when it tries to delete the old files and it will not progress to the next stage.

I88 man you are having way too many problems, I really don't know whats up with your machine, but I do think you stress way to much over this shit, just relax take a deep breath and uninstall the ati package first and than install the hotfix after words, I have been ati user for almost a year now and I never had a single problem with uninstalling or installing their drivers, why do you not now uninstall the old driver first, and I don't know why your system wont install the ccc package that is pretty unlbelievable the shit you are going through, I personally think that you have a corrupt windows install, the only time I have trouble installing or uninstalling something is when I have a virus and that hasn't happend for about 5 years now lol. never have I encountered any issue at the scale that you are having it.

uninstalling the ccc and reinstalling it is a 123 process for me.

I88 man you are having way too many problems, I really don't know whats up with your machine, but I do think you stress way to much over this shit, just relax take a deep breath and uninstall the ati package first and than install the hotfix after words, I have been ati user for almost a year now and I never had a single problem with uninstalling or installing their drivers, why do you not now uninstall the old driver first, and I don't know why your system wont install the ccc package that is pretty unlbelievable the shit you are going through, I personally think that you have a corrupt windows install, the only time I have trouble installing or uninstalling something is when I have a virus and that hasn't happend for about 5 years now lol. never have I encountered any issue at the scale that you are having it.

uninstalling the ccc and reinstalling it is a 123 process for me.

Not stressing, just looks that way in text. My problems are common as far as I can see with driver issues. At least I know how to get em on and off the machine. Yea theres something wrong, most likely a result of vista updating with something that conflicts with it in a bad way. Hell my prior install of vista 64 wouldnt even let me upgrade to service pack 2! I am just waiting it out another few months and then maybe jump over to windows 7.

Until then I will deal however it pisses me off when kllrnohj says that I brought this on myself because I reset my computer during the driver install. A driver install is not supposed to take over a half hour, and when I figured out how to make em install it took only a few minutes. My computer has an issue deleting CCC and then replacing over it with another CCC. I am able to successfully install drivers over old drivers, which is what i did with the 9.12s when I installed the 9.12hot fix drivers over em. I just left 9.12 CCC, which is the crux of my question. My question is is there anything different between the two cccs?

Last edited:
well they do update the ccc if the drivers have newer features that will only enable you to enable them if you have the compatible ccc, they do continously update the ccc as well as drivers if they have new features that are only accessible through the new ccc, I hope you get it sorted out, by the way windows 7 is definitely the way to go, may be your problems are because of vista, ati seems to be focusing more on windows 7 when it comes to their driver compatibility and I have had zero issues with my windows 7 install ever since I got my hd 5000

ati drivers take me literally 30 seconds to install.. no idea wtf is wrong with your systems to make it such a hassle.

Sigh...everyone always makes this a bigger ordeal than it has to be.

Do an express uninstall everything from add/remove programs, reboot, install new drivers, reboot.

It's that simple.

Not stressing, just looks that way in text. My problems are common as far as I can see with driver issues. At least I know how to get em on and off the machine. Yea theres something wrong, most likely a result of vista updating with something that conflicts with it in a bad way. Hell my prior install of vista 64 wouldnt even let me upgrade to service pack 2! I am just waiting it out another few months and then maybe jump over to windows 7.

Until then I will deal however it pisses me off when kllrnohj says that I brought this on myself because I reset my computer during the driver install. A driver install is not supposed to take over a half hour, and when I figured out how to make em install it took only a few minutes. My computer has an issue deleting CCC and then replacing over it with another CCC. I am able to successfully install drivers over old drivers, which is what i did with the 9.12s when I installed the 9.12hot fix drivers over em. I just left 9.12 CCC, which is the crux of my question. My question is is there anything different between the two cccs?

It sat there for over A HALF FUCKING HOUR DOING NOTHING WITH BLANK FUCKING SCREENS and it did the same today when I tried to go over with the 9.12s.

If you were paying attention in my prior post you would have seen that I am also having an issue where it will not get rid of the recycle and deletion windows when I move or delete a file. I have to ctl+alt+del and manually tell it to cancel the deletion box. This singular issue is what I believe to be causing it not to let me load CCC over a prior version, because the install locks up when it tries to delete the old files and it will not progress to the next stage.

Dude, your system is seriously borked if you have to open the task manager to successfully delete a file. Fix your install before you bitch about drivers not installing.

Since when did installing a driver become so complicated......

If you are sitting there staring at a blank screen that would be a good indicator that you either did something to seriously comprimise your os or that it is just plain fucked either way reinstall the os, update it and leave it the f' alone and go from there.....sounds like anyother way is going to be like looking for the perverbal needle in the haystack scenario.

Dude, your system is seriously borked if you have to open the task manager to successfully delete a file. Fix your install before you bitch about drivers not installing.

yea well it took the install of drivers for me to really put two and two together. Its called learning, never had a cpu problem like this before, but now I know what to do when it happens.

Ehhhh I ordered a full version of windows 7 plus another terra hardrive, Ill just keep the vista and crap on one hard drive and load 7 on a completely different one

This is the correct answer.

Well, if you want your driver version to read 9.12 it isn't. :) I'm picky about things like that. If I'm running 9.12 I want it to say 9.12. So in that case, I had to install 9.12 first, then the hotfix.

Ehhhh I ordered a full version of windows 7 plus another terra hardrive, Ill just keep the vista and crap on one hard drive and load 7 on a completely different one

Sounds like a good plan.

Mines says 9.12 and I installed overtop 9.8 or something.

Interesting. I installed them over 9.11 and it still said 9.11. They worked fine, but it bothered me, so I uninstalled, then did 9.12, then hotfix. That may have been unnecessary, but oh well. It works now, and is listed as 9.12. I've read two other cases of this, so I thought it was happening across the board. Perhaps not. I'm on a completely fresh (other than having the 9.11s previously) W7 X64 install too, on nice stable hardware. Not sure what would have caused that then.

And this is why Windows vista imo is crap. I have vista on my notebook and it can lock up intermittently on a single process and refuses to allow me to end it. Only solution is a reboot. Windows 7 FTW. I have Win7 64 bit installed on my sig rig and it works like a charm. I think I should eventually get Win7 for my notebook as well but I rarely use it unless I'm going out of town like I am right now so it's probably not worth my time.

PS if you search around the forums you will find a command line approach to uninstalling the older ATI 9.11 drivers that seems to work.

Back