Question about CPU Usage in HD Tach & Athlon II X4 640

mathesar

[H]ard|Gawd
I put together an AMD combo package for a friend (ordered from Newegg, full combo specs here).

I installed Win 7 64bit and everything seems to be running fine it feels pretty snappy like my current i7 rig but I'm wondering if its normal for the CPU usage to be around 8 - 9% when running HD Tune?

I ran it 3 times and it was always in this range, on my i7 the same test is only 0.5 to 1% usage, I'm not real familiar with AMD and just wondering if its normal considering the specs or what other factors might cause a higher cpu usage.

I went to Biostar website and installed the latest chipset etc. drivers for the motherboard and win 7 is fully updated w/ SP1, Thanks.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Quad-Core
Mobo: BIOSTAR A780L3L rev 6.1
HD: Seagate Barracuda Green ST1000DL002 1TB 5900 RPM SATA
Memory: G.SKILL Value Series 4GB DDR3 1333
Onboard Video: Radeon HD 3000
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC662

1TB%20hdtune%20amd.jpg

yeah its normal. less than 10% usage i really wouldn't worry about it at all. windows its self will use that much just sitting idle so having Htach using it when testing is nothing. you won't see usage like that in every day usage. if it was 50-60% usage then maybe i'd be worrying.

lol alrighty then guess that's cleared up.

I must say for the price that AMD combo is pretty impressive, minus the crappy onboard video but he can add a better videocard later.

Back