question about crossover freq

jcmuse

Limp Gawd
if i only have 2 bookshelf speakers (no sub) should i set crossover freq to 40hz ( the lowest my receiver can be set to)? wouldn't that mean that everything above 40hz is outputted to the bookshelfs? my manual says it should be 80hz but then that means everything below that is not heard.. isn't it better just to have everything above 40 outputted and the speakers will output w/e it can? the other option is 60hz

Speakers cannot handle all frequencies. That's why subwoofers exist! If you send too low of a frequency to your speakers, it could potentially damage them.

first... what bookshelves do you have?
any bookshelf can be fed a full range signal but will only output what the design allows. you will only damage them if you listen at high levels of distortion, exceeding the limits of the speaker. if you are using bookshelves alone then see full range. when you decide to add a sub then cross them over at what ever sounds good to you. if the bookshelves are rated to 80HZ then go 80. if you have some rated at 40hz then 40 ad so on. i use mine all full range and my sub comes in at 40hz. my speakers calibrate at 73db to around 38hz so this setting works great for me. sometimes i do use the crossover on movies i know will push my speakers bot recently i have been keeping them full range.

i have klipsch rb-51s and a denon receiver.
specs:
Code:
frequency response	50Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
power handling	75W RMS / 300W Peak
sensitivity	92dB @ 2.83V / 1m
nominal impedance	8 ohms compatible
high frequency drivers	1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn
high freq crossover	2000Hz
low frequency drivers	5.25" (13.3cm) Cerametallic™ cone woofer
enclosure type	Bass-reflex via rear-firing port
height	11.4" (29cm)
width	6.5" (16.5cm)
depth	10.75" (27.3cm)
mounting	Keyhole bracket and Dual 1/4"-20 threaded inserts
weight	12 lbs (5.5kg)
finishes	Black Ash woodgrain vinyl
built from	2006

i listen at normal levels -- nothing excessive. so just to confirm, i should set it to 40hz when only using the bookshelfs. I realize when/if i get a sub i will adjust it but for now i want to stick with just these bookshelfs.

thanks guys

my roommate has the RB-51s and they do sound great. if you're running them at low to moderate levels I'd say you should be fine feeding them a full range signal. you just won't get the same response as if you had a dedicated sub to handle the LFE.

great.. i set crossover to 60 so i think i should be good now since thats within the range in the specs.

rb-51s are nice, though the fact that they're rear ported makes them difficult to place imo.. i had to buy stands.i like klipsch sound though.

what we are trying to say is do not cross them over until you get a sub... befor sub do full range then after you get a sub cross it at what ever sounds best.

Back