Question about database creation..

3l3m3nt

Limp Gawd
I have a question about what my possible options are for this problem we are facing with this new company.

We've recently started a skatepark in our city... like most businesses these days like tanning businesses and such they have a database where they enter each customers name, information, picture, what membership they have... if they have been paying... how many times they come and at what times...etc...well we are going to need something like that. WE would like to record people's names, address, e-mail, age, picture... etc and they will need to get an assigned number. Then we want to be able to just search for their name whenever they come back so we can just pull up all their information and their picture, then input that they are paying us for the certain day the came in and also how many people are in the park currently.

It sounds kind of complicated but i'm just curious what software would be best to use and if anyone is willing to get paid to create something like this? I know a local guy has offered to do it but he says it won't be cheap especially when it has the potential to expand. Anyways... what are your guys' thoughts?

I would suggest Microsoft Access. You likely have it already. I myself haven't dealt with Access enough to feel competent, but I'm sure many others on this forum have lots of database creation experience.

Also, if you are planning on having this skatepark expand to the Internet, you'll want to set up a MySQL database, which can be easy with programs such as phpMyAdmin and Webmin.

Using MySQL and perl itd be pretty easy to create a application(GUI or web) to do all this....really easy.

really i'm not to worried about it expanding online... we have a website.. a forum... thats all it really needs.

If you want a simple user database to keep track of basic client information just use something simple like Access. It is readily available and has a pretty straight forward user interface. It also has pretty decent reporting capabilities which would allow you print receipts and such. If you integrate a card reader into it then your set. It is a bit quirky at times but will serve the objectives you described above.

If you wanted to get a bit more advanced you could use SQL Server 2000 or Oracle backend but that is quite a bit pricy and may be a bit to much for your needs.

I really think that Access is your best bet. With minimal reading you could design it yourself.

No matter which way you go be SURE to have some sort of backup scheme. VERY IMPORTANT.

yeah I think the PC i throw together for the database i'll get a dvd burner for it and make sure to back it all up at the end of every week or so.

But does access allow you to add a picture to each customer you create?

3l3m3nt said:
But does access allow you to add a picture to each customer you create?

OLE Objects:

You can add two types of pictures or objects: an unbound picture or object, which doesn't change from record to record, or a bound picture or object, which can be different as you move from record to record. A picture or object can also be embedded or linked.

Back