Question about DIR655 Dlink and port limits

Damn Dirty Ape

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a DIR-655 and have a question. Since I'm pretty new to networking in general, I need clarification on something.

I know the router has 4 wired ports and has wireless. Is the limit 4 wireless AND 4 wired simultaneously, or 4 of each or mixture not to exceed 4?

thanks

I've never heard of a home router that limits the number of wireless clients, nor one that wouldn't let you attach a switch to one of the wired ports for more wired computers.

I belive it will have a limit, but it will be in the hundreds. I know for a fact i can support 6 wireless clients and 5 wired at the same time on my dir-655.

I belive it will have a limit, but it will be in the hundreds. I know for a fact i can support 6 wireless clients and 5 wired at the same time on my dir-655.

Well the reason for the post was I came up with 4 wired systems (2 desktop, network printer and an xbox 360 and wanted to add wirelessly a ps3 and laptop.

Neither the ps3 or laptop would connect despite correct configuration. I turned off mac filtering and attempted then to connect using the same settings, logged right on. Turned mac filtering back on, then reconnect no problem.

So in between the help in the thread and an accidental finding I think things are all better. Not sure what having the mac filter off for a logon initially has to do with it, but whatever works.

As mentioned I'm not the most experienced with networking (yet), but how do you get 5 wired?

thanks

hub or switch, out from the router, into a switch. Kinda like a port multiplier, the router still does all the handeling of the computers.

A switch or hub will allow for more wired connections to the router than the number of standard ports (4). A very large number of computers can connect via wireless before you start to experience problems.

you're limit on the wired side is technically unlimited (depends on your network layout). The router may only be able to give out a certain number of IPs with its DHCP (typically 50-100), but static IPs can fix that. There are other things that can be done, but honestly 50 in a high amount without going to a buisness class product.

The limit on the wireless size depends on what kind of speeds you wish to have overall. with wireless thing of the air within the range of the router as a HUB. Only one device can talk at a time and they all take turns which will reduce the total speed any device can obtain, and that speed will vary based on network saturation.

I saw the theoretical maximum wireless connections somewhere when I bought mine, and I can't remember what the number was but it was 3 digits as I recall.

Have personally had more than 4 wireless clients on mine in addition to 3 or 4 wired without any issues at all.

I just set my 655 up on the 31st. We've got 12 wired devices and 6 wireless devices and haven't had any problems. I love this router already, and I haven't even gotten into really tweaking it yet.

The only "issue" I had was one of our wireless devices had an older adapter that didn't support WPA2, so instead of downgrading the security level I upgraded the NIC. Of course that's my fault for not checking it first.

On my old router I had everything setup on a static IP, but I love the DHCP reservation capability on the 655, which my old one didn't have. Set everything to dynamic, allow the mac address on the filter, and reserve the IP assigned by DHCP. Makes adding a new device easier I think.

Ok, now I have all devices working correctly. Seems the problem was for the initial connect MAC filtering had to be off (even if the mac address was in the list) for it to connect. After the initial connect I could re-enable the mac filtering and it would then connect. Odd. Thanks

MAC filitering is useless dude. any script kiddy can spoof a mac.
if you just WPA2 (AES NOT TKIP) and make it a decently long password (mine 25 letters and numbers), you'll be fine.

basically you can have upto 256 clients (minus reserved ones) on wired / wireless combined based on your DHCP settings

say your router is set as

10.0.0.1 you can go upto 10.0.0.255

basically you can have upto 256 clients (minus reserved ones) on wired / wireless combined based on your DHCP settings

say your router is set as

10.0.0.1 you can go upto 10.0.0.255

if you set static ips on the client then you can have as many as you want, but long before you hit 256 you'll run into bandwidth issues. And IIRC you cant have a client that ends in .255 at all or .1 unless you change the router to something else.

yup, those reserved ones :)

and good old static, wonder what the max clients is these routers can handle on avg before they really start to crap out.

Back