Question about EVGA Step Up?

crhscoog

Gawd
Can you step up factory overclocked cards? I was thinking of buying the EVGA 8800GT SC from dell ($260 ($230 AR))(unsing $100 gift card and $25 coupon) but was wondering if I could step that card up or would I have to buy the 8800gt without overclock of any sort. The superclock and stock clocked 8800gt are currently for the same price so either way, I wouldn't have to pay more or less. I am planning to get a 8800gt now then stepping up within 90days probably like on the 80th day, step up to hopefully a 9800gt or 9800gtx if the price difference let's me.

sweet, thanks ya'll. can't wait to get it and see cod4 at full details for first time :D

I just did the step-up myself at EVGA and learned many things about it. First, most of the time their "OC'd" cards are not eligible for step-up, plus you typically cannot step-up/into a SC, KO, or SSC card or step-out of those kinds of cards, with a few exceptions. Basically it is stock nVidia set speed cards that can. I was fortunate to be able to get out of my 8800GTS KO's 640MB cards, but typically you cannot and not many cards were actually worth stepping up to in my case, except the new 9800GX2's which I did (still waiting on).

Remember as well, you have to ship your cards back to them after they charge you if there is additional monies needed between what you paid versus the card you are stepping up to). There are no "cross ships" which sucks. I am glad I had my old BFG 7950 sitting around or I would be without video waiting on the exchange.

Consider the time it will take too. You have to login to your account on EVGA, chose the step-up option, go through the process there. Many times you will be placed in a queue and havve to wait for the process to be approved. When that happens, then you do the payment thing, send in your card, etc. When they finally get it, they ask for a 3-day leeway to process the step-up and send you the replacement card, which could be another 5 days shipping. I just sent my cards in yesterday, prob not going to see my new cards for a week and a half or more.

Just FYI, hope that helps...............

Yes, you can step up from *any* EVGA card, to any stock clock ("EGS" labeled usually) card you want...Regardless of the MSRP. You could downgrade/sidegrade if you really wanted to.

The time it takes is somewhat irrelevant. You at least still get to use your card while you're waiting. The only time you're without is when you actually finish the queue and send them your card and wait for them to test it and ship the new one. And if recent step-up queues are any indication, the line won't take all that long. Unless it's like the G71 period where those of us is queue were sometimes waiting for weeks to get through the line.

And just to clear it up in case you're not clear.... You don't get to pay the difference between store price and what you paid, it's MSRP and what you paid (not including any tax/shipping charges on either end). Which can be a big difference in some cases, like w/ the current G92 GTS deal @ Newegg.. $229 out the door (not inc MIR which you'd get dinged for as well), but the card's official MSRP is ~$359.

ps Make sure you keep the box and all the goodies, and if you swap coolers keep the STOCK one as well, it needs to be on there upon step-up. If you don't you risk up to a 20% ding in the process.

I just did the step-up myself at EVGA and learned many things about it. First, most of the time their "OC'd" cards are not eligible for step-up, plus you typically cannot step-up/into a SC, KO, or SSC card or step-out of those kinds of cards, with a few exceptions. Basically it is stock nVidia set speed cards that can. I was fortunate to be able to get out of my 8800GTS KO's 640MB cards, but typically you cannot and not many cards were actually worth stepping up to in my case, except the new 9800GX2's which I did (still waiting on).

Remember as well, you have to ship your cards back to them after they charge you if there is additional monies needed between what you paid versus the card you are stepping up to). There are no "cross ships" which sucks. I am glad I had my old BFG 7950 sitting around or I would be without video waiting on the exchange.

Consider the time it will take too. You have to login to your account on EVGA, chose the step-up option, go through the process there. Many times you will be placed in a queue and havve to wait for the process to be approved. When that happens, then you do the payment thing, send in your card, etc. When they finally get it, they ask for a 3-day leeway to process the step-up and send you the replacement card, which could be another 5 days shipping. I just sent my cards in yesterday, prob not going to see my new cards for a week and a half or more.

Just FYI, hope that helps...............

A better alternative IMO would be to grab an XFX card with the double warranty and use that as a selling point on Ebay.

Yes, you can step up from *any* EVGA card, to any stock clock ("EGS" labeled usually) card you want...Regardless of the MSRP. You could downgrade/sidegrade if you really wanted to.

The time it takes is somewhat irrelevant. You at least still get to use your card while you're waiting. The only time you're without is when you actually finish the queue and send them your card and wait for them to test it and ship the new one. And if recent step-up queues are any indication, the line won't take all that long. Unless it's like the G71 period where those of us is queue were sometimes waiting for weeks to get through the line.

And just to clear it up in case you're not clear.... You don't get to pay the difference between store price and what you paid, it's MSRP and what you paid (not including any tax/shipping charges on either end). Which can be a big difference in some cases, like w/ the current G92 GTS deal @ Newegg.. $229 out the door (not inc MIR which you'd get dinged for as well), but the card's official MSRP is ~$359.

ps Make sure you keep the box and all the goodies, and if you swap coolers keep the STOCK one as well, it needs to be on there upon step-up. If you don't you risk up to a 20% ding in the process.

So lets say I have G92 GTS, paid $229, but MSRP $359. Now I wanted to step up to card X. So I am paying the difference of card X MSRP price - the $229? or the MSRP $329?

Thanks
Chris

So lets say I have G92 GTS, paid $229, but MSRP $359. Now I wanted to step up to card X. So I am paying the difference of card X MSRP price - the $229? or the MSRP $329?

Thanks
Chris

You pay the difference between the MSRP of the new card, and what you paid ($229) for the old card. That is the reason you have to send them a copy of your invoice, if you didnt purchase the card from them.

Back