question about gaming and intel/amd cpus

Xeero

Gawd
ok so we all know that at 640x480 amd cpu's just totally flat out own intels. props to the integrated memory controller.

however, does the same apply when playing games at 1280x1024 and above? or when u play at 1280x1024+ which ever cpu you choose doesn't matter anymore?

also, why does hardocp fail to benchmark cpu gaming performance at that resolution? is it cause there is pretty much no difference in todays games?

Because at higher resolutions, you are GPU limted more than the CPU. For raw power of the CPU the benchmarks are meant to take all the load off the GPU, thus the CPU tests are generally done at lower resolutions.

At least, thats the way I understand it. For apples to apples comparison, I do use another website's tool (THG) for comparing CPU performance, for better or for worse.

Also, if you've got top of the line or mid-upper end CPU from EITHER camp (Intel or AMD) I'm sure you have a great gaming experience. I just use CPU benchmarks to see if an upgrade is worth it for me (dollars to performance).

Generally speaking, AMD performs slightly better on gaming applications whereas Intel performs slightly better on workstation apps/video encoding/that type of stuff.

The fact of the matter is that AMD provides a superior gaming platform, and an all around better platform when using an X2. Intel still dominates in smoothness of OS is you don't go for X2.

The real question is can you get the required performance in both OS and games at the price point you want. That is what you need to be asking yourself.

Volkum said:
Generally speaking, AMD performs slightly better on gaming applications whereas Intel performs slightly better on workstation apps/video encoding/that type of stuff.
As noted in part, that's only true of the single-core vs single-core stuff.

AMD's dual-core CPUs rip Intel a new one in every single test.

so when running games at 1600x1200 i wont be able to notice the difference between the 2?

Xeero said:
so when running games at 1600x1200 i wont be able to notice the difference between the 2?
I saw benchmarks at 1280x1024 where amd led intel by 30fps 40 to 70. I'd say that's noticeable.

alot of the benchmarks involve lower resolutions and older games. i could honestly care less how fast q3 or rtcw or ut2k4 runs. now if you look at the doom3 benchies on thg, i notice very little difference in frames. the most would b like a maximum of 5. and the far cry benchies they set the quality to low and have the resolution at 1280x1024. i believe these are still not very fair comparisons. are there any comparisons between an amd and intel cpus w/ more updated games and better resolution and image quality settings? like hl2? a better far cry setting? chronicles of riddick? eq2? fear demo? and can we also get some benchies at 1600x1200?

-1600x1200 benchies on newer games plz
-have all the settings to high but have af and aa turned off

btw the difference between high end amd cpu's and highend intel cpus in the doom3 benchmark is like 5fps. can we expect to see the same trend in today and future games? since they tend to be more gpu dependent?

Back