Question about HL2 over steam...

MuadDib420

Weaksauce
i preloaded HL2 but haven't ordered it yet. my question is what if i upgrade my system, how can i move my legit copy of HL2 to my new computer? more of a hypothetical question since i just upgraded a couple of months ago.

when i got doom3, it forced me to go out and build a new computer to play it the way i wanted to.

you just installed steam and enter your name/password and it comes up with whatever games are registered to that account

From what I've been able to gather (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it's a pain in the ass. The way I hear it is you'd install steam on your new account, then have to download it all over again, etc etc. I hear you however burn off the stuff it downloads, so you don't have to redownload it, but you will have to have an internet connection working before you can your steam version of HL2 playable again.

Steam's a cool idea and all, I like for auto-patching games and for servers, but restricting everything to use it is a pain and the ass. I hear you have to go through a bunch of steps to get steam into "offline mode" to be able to play at a LAN party or anything like that. And they really need to just let you burn your steam download to steam-less install discs. Then I'd buy it off of steam right now =P

or you can copy the files in your steamapps folder to cd and when you installed steam just app the files back to the steamapps folder.

and if you don't know how to separate the cache files into CD size chunks. use winrar. and set the chunksize to 700mb/650mb cd. then just rar it up. click on self-extracting archive, to make an exe. then all you need to do is run the exe, and it will ask for cds as if you are installing the game for real.

xZAOx said:
From what I've been able to gather (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it's a pain in the ass. The way I hear it is you'd install steam on your new account, then have to download it all over again, etc etc. I hear you however burn off the stuff it downloads, so you don't have to redownload it, but you will have to have an internet connection working before you can your steam version of HL2 playable again.

Steam's a cool idea and all, I like for auto-patching games and for servers, but restricting everything to use it is a pain and the ass. I hear you have to go through a bunch of steps to get steam into "offline mode" to be able to play at a LAN party or anything like that. And they really need to just let you burn your steam download to steam-less install discs. Then I'd buy it off of steam right now =P

ok, if "a bunch of steps" equals "starting steam without an active internet connection and clicking yes when it asks if you want to run in oflfine mode" then yes, it's a pain in the ass...........

and yes, you can burn backup copies of your .gcf files and then when after you format you just install steam and copy the gcf files over, and i believe you only need hl2 online once to "register" it and then you can play in offline mode after that (of course thats speculation since none of us have the game...)

xZAOx said:
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cg...GFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9b2ZmbGluZQ**&p_li=

There's the full way to run it in offline mode. Being a simple man, I consider it a pain in the ass just because it doesn't let you do it like pretty much every other game in existance.

thats making it seem more complicated than it is, as i said, if you have the game data and it's update all you have to do is start steam without an active connection and it'll prompt you to run in offline mode.

Have you used any steam games over a LAN without steam? Does the same pattern work - just have everything updated, and leave the internet unplugged, and it'll work fine for all your buds?

The reason I ask is, me and buddies have LAN parties about every 1-2 months hehe. We have enough trouble getting everyone on the same version of the game and not blowing power breakers ;-)

it should work, just make sure they start steam and get any updates there may be before leaving home to attend the lan, then at the lan you can just start without an active internet connection (disabling the network card then starting steam then reenabling the network card is the fastest way, but just starting without an active internet connection works too).

Back