Question about Memory (probably regarding SPD)

Filburt

Weaksauce
Okay, so I have a Dell Dimension 8400 that was given to me. It has 512MB of DDR2 400 in it, but I'm just going to ditch that and go for 533 since the thing supports it.

Anyhow, what I'm wondering is:

If I buy 667 RAM that is listed as latency 5, and this thing predictably clocks it down to 533, is it likely I'll end up with CAS4 or CAS5? Because if I'll still end up with 5, I may as well just buy CAS4 533. NewEgg, though, had some 667 from Wintec that more or less cost the same as the 533, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks guys.

This is just my personal opinion. Since your talking about a dell that I doubt you can overclock I think it would be wiser to choose the CAS4 533mhz chips since that is the highest supported speed memory you can use. Why would you risk purchasing 667mhz chips that may not run at CAS4? Now I did not look up your model to verify your max memory speed but I'm assuming you did this already.

533 is the maximum. I considered getting the 667 because I may swap the motherboard out for something else at some point. I need to upgrade the ram, though, as I can barely play my games with the 512 that is in it right now (constant disk paging or somesuch)

If you are planning on swapping out motherboards soon then yes take the risk with the 667mhz chips. They do step down in speed and yes it is possible they will will run at lower latency. Otherwise 6months from now you will probably want 800 or better memory with a new board with cheaper memory prices available. Decisions decisions.... It's a hard choice no matter what speeds or systems your buying memory for :)

Okay, it I asked someone who I figured would know about this and he informed me that the SPD will not adjust the latency against the clock speed, so I'd still end up with CAS5 even underclocked.

I guess I'll go for the 533, then.

Okay, it I asked someone who I figured would know about this and he informed me that the SPD will not adjust the latency against the clock speed, so I'd still end up with CAS5 even underclocked.

What they are saying is if you plan to re use the ram with a better motherboard and/or cpu, it would be better to go with the 667 or even 800.

If you buy the 533 and later on yer motherboard/cpu supports higher, your kinda out of luck.

Just my .02!

Yes SPD can be programmed for speed thresholds. However people are saying it's a gamble still what the ram you buy will be programmed at, unless you talk to someone who has a particular stick and can tell you. For example, here's my buffalo firestix 800 gmh:

spdbb8.jpg

You see all the stepdowns it does. Also, if you're wondering, the ram is 800 at 2.1v. However, spd isn't programmed for 800 since spd is traditionally at jedec spec, which calls for only 1.8v, so a program for 800 could potentially result in a no post situation since the board would try 800 at 1.8v and fail.

Back