Question about new Plasma

qtqc

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone, Im sort of a noob when it comes to displays. I been looking at upgrading my HTPC display. Just curious if this will work with a PC,
New Display

Stear clear of the Plasma's. Dying Industry. Also not at all good as a PC monitor. They do not support normal PC resolutions very well and you are bound to get some burn in eventually if you are using it as a PC.

dying industry? so wut would u suggest? LCD? LCD doesnt match up to the plasma's right now. maybe in 3-4 years LCD will catch up but in 3-4 years SED will come out also. Burn ins? Obviously ur not familiar with plasama's. looka at the th-px60/60u or the px600.

I have the Panasonic 42" Plasma and it has the best picture out there but I wouldn't use it as a PC monitor. Case being, my Xbox 360 caused burnin on it the other day :(. Thinking about buying a 27" LCDTV and using that as my main PC monitor and Xbox360. Either that or the 24" Acer.

Let's clear up a few things.

1. Plasma is not a dying industry any more than LCDs are. And Plamas offer some of the best picture quality you can find.

2. For a disiplay doubling as a PC monitor, an LCD would indeed be the better option to go with.

rysher said:
dying industry? so wut would u suggest? LCD? LCD doesnt match up to the plasma's right now. maybe in 3-4 years LCD will catch up but in 3-4 years SED will come out also. Burn ins? Obviously ur not familiar with plasama's. looka at the th-px60/60u or the px600.

Problem with plasma is it is extrmely limited in use. The only thing it is good for is home entertainment. Plasma does not work well for computer applications and does not work very well when it comes to Public Information Public Display and that is where all the money is in the industry. Manufacturers are not going to continue to make both LCD and Plasma for very long. It is not cost effective to make something with only one use when LCD is good enough for 4 or 5 different applications and tons of veritcal markets. This will especially be evident when the 55-65 inch LCD's are released in a few months here. ALthough they will be priced much much higher than a Plasma of similar size many customers are waiting on the large LCD's to avoid Plasmas.

I know Panasonic claims to have made a plasma with no burn in but in really that is impossible to do due to the workings of the product and lab tests have shown that burn in still exists in these new models also.

travbomb said:
Problem with plasma is it is extrmely limited in use. The only thing it is good for is home entertainment. Plasma does not work well for computer applications and does not work very well when it comes to Public Information Public Display and that is where all the money is in the industry. Manufacturers are not going to continue to make both LCD and Plasma for very long. It is not cost effective to make something with only one use when LCD is good enough for 4 or 5 different applications and tons of veritcal markets. This will especially be evident when the 55-65 inch LCD's are released in a few months here. ALthough they will be priced much much higher than a Plasma of similar size many customers are waiting on the large LCD's to avoid Plasmas.

I know Panasonic claims to have made a plasma with no burn in but in really that is impossible to do due to the workings of the product and lab tests have shown that burn in still exists in these new models also.
public information public display- look at the airports and ask them wut TV they use.
Panasoniuc didn't claim to have the best, they are nominated by reviews and user feedbacks. reviews done by "the tv buying guide".
if a sony bravia 42" is priced at $3999 how much do you think would a 55-65" LCD cost? i bet you right now it'd cost $7000-8000. it's not worth it. if am going to spend that much on a tv i'd wait for the holograms.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

rysher said:
public information public display- look at the airports and ask them wut TV they use.
Panasoniuc didn't claim to have the best, they are nominated by reviews and user feedbacks. reviews done by "the tv buying guide".
if a sony bravia 42" is priced at $3999 how much do you think would a 55-65" LCD cost? i bet you right now it'd cost $7000-8000. it's not worth it. if am going to spend that much on a tv i'd wait for the holograms.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

IF you look at the public information public display at an airport you will be looking at LCD. Not LCD TV's either PIPD LCD. NEC LCD's have the highest market share of PIPD in the world. Far ahead of any plasma's.

I was not saying anything bad about Panasonics either just Plasma's in general.

57 inch PIPD LCD will run $15000, But plenty of companies are in line to buy them at that cost once they are released.

we are all talking about 2 different applications right now. There really isn't any technology out their right now that is the best. Every tech has its pros and cons. BTW: The panasonic that I have is teh 50X and I got burn in on it from the Xbox360. Of course this is because somehow my video setting for the component got switch from Standard and Vivid. :(. I am thinking about getting a 27" LCDTV to replace my 19" LCD and also use it for the Xbox 360. Either that or the Acer 24". Can't decide yet.

rysher said:

First off you are comparing them to the plasmas that are supposed to be burn proof and i have personally seen MANY that have burn in.

When this question comes up, its ALWAYS this....what size do you want? if its bigger then 42-46...aka a 50"er then you have to have a plasma, if you want something smaller then 42" you have to have an LCD.(i am aware of exceptions for both, but none are that good)

Now if your in that 42" market and you can go either way....What do you want to use it for? PC...LCD, games....LCD....movies....plasma(for picture, but watch out for burn-in)....tv....Plasma/LCD.....

THats just how it goes....honeslt the Plasma market is actually on its way out....not soon but quicker then LCD's. WHY?!? Look at 42" options....a high end LCD beats a high end plasma.....when you take into account video games, PC usage, movies, and TV, power usage, weight, burn in, and all that.....it just does.

Now while LCD's are still VERY exspensive 42"+ plasmas will still be around. But most people, wether they think so or not, actually want an LCD because of all the things they want to use it for.

Best LCD.....Personally i like the new samsung line or the XBR's.
Best Plasma....hands down Pioneer. 2nd....Toshiba/Samsung
Best projection SXRD, or 61" samsung is sweet too....(both are 1080p)
Best HDtubes 34" XBR.....

Best looking TV, withou reguard for size, weight or anything.....34" XBR. without a doubt the sexiest looking picutres i have seen......

well we wil see who wins the plasma LCD war.

sony has bet all its money on LCD
panasonic has bet all its money on plasma...

may the best product win!

that said panasonic 10 gen plasma is really nice, its cheap and awesome.

Arkanian said:
I have the Panasonic 42" Plasma and it has the best picture out there but I wouldn't use it as a PC monitor. Case being, my Xbox 360 caused burnin on it the other day :(. Thinking about buying a 27" LCDTV and using that as my main PC monitor and Xbox360. Either that or the 24" Acer.
Did it cause burn-in after a long time and just became permanent the other day? It's not really possible to burn a plasma in one day. Temporary image retention is not the same as burn-in and usually goes away after watching a channel with no static images for 15 or so minutes (longer if the image retention is worse). After playing 8-10 hours straight of dragon quest 8 on a pioneer 5060 there was image retention on the edges of the screen (the ps2 underscans so much that it leaves 1" edges on the sides even in widescreen mode). The image retention was gone in under 30 minutes. If I was to do this on a regular basis then burn-in would occur.

Playing games on a plasma is generally ok as long as you it's not something consistent and longterm like WoW, CSS, Halo online, etc. If you just play regular console games and beat them in the 10-40 hours they take then it probably won't cause any problems.

Plasmatvbuyingguide and Lcdtvbuyingguide are not good websites to point to. They are basically resellers writing great reviews for the products they sell.

Also, pickxx your personal opinion about plasmas and lcds is an opinion and not a fact.

SonComet said:
Did it cause burn-in after a long time and just became permanent the other day? It's not really possible to burn a plasma in one day. Temporary image retention is not the same as burn-in and usually goes away after watching a channel with no static images for 15 or so minutes (longer if the image retention is worse). After playing 8-10 hours straight of dragon quest 8 on a pioneer 5060 there was image retention on the edges of the screen (the ps2 underscans so much that it leaves 1" edges on the sides even in widescreen mode). The image retention was gone in under 30 minutes. If I was to do this on a regular basis then burn-in would occur.

Playing games on a plasma is generally ok as long as you it's not something consistent and longterm like WoW, CSS, Halo online, etc. If you just play regular console games and beat them in the 10-40 hours they take then it probably won't cause any problems.

Plasmatvbuyingguide and Lcdtvbuyingguide are not good websites to point to. They are basically resellers writing great reviews for the products they sell.

Also, pickxx your personal opinion about plasmas and lcds is an opinion and not a fact.
Well it wasn't permenant burn in. I basically had my TV on for 48 hours it that removed 95% of the "burn in" . After 2 weeks, the "burn in" is finally gone from the plasma. This is the first time it has ever done this. Basically, the TV was on Torch mode on accident and that is why it was there. So now I amke sure that it is on Standard and not Torch before I play my Xbox and it doesn't cause burn in that way.

Back