Question about notebook graphics

ToastMaster

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,

I've been in the market for a laptop for the past couple of months. I was waiting for a DX10-card to debut (something that was mid-range or higher), but I've heard that we likely wouldn't be seeing actual DX10-based notebooks until later in the Spring, so I've decided to go ahead and just get a notebook.

It'll primarily be for school and work, but I also would be doing some gaming on it, primarily WoW.

The three systems I'm currently considering are the Asus A8Js, the Asus G1 and the Dell e1705. I basically have it narrowed down to the G1 now, but was hoping to get an answer real quick to a question:

Does anyone know if the GeForce Go 7700 is able to handle WoW at the 1680x1050 resolution with max settings? I know WoW isn't very graphically demanding, and I have a friend who I believe is running WoWo at max settings on a Inspiron D820 with Quadro NVS 120 (or 110?) at I believe 1440x900, so I would assume the 7700 can handle it without any problems at 1680x1050. If anyone could answer this definatively, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

One other quick question is, whether that's true about the DX10 cards, or if they are set to debut sooner than that? (I've heard everything from late Spring/early Summer for midrange/high end DX10 cards, to early February for general announcements).

Edit - For reference, I'd be specing the e1705 out with the WUXGA 1920x1200 screen, the Geforce Go 7900GS, and a 7200 rpm HD.

Should be fine at 1680x1050.
Mobile DX20 cards are a ways off. How aways is aways in unknown at this point AFAIK.

Should be fine at 1680x1050.
Mobile DX20 cards are a ways off. How aways is aways in unknown at this point AFAIK.

Especially since DX10 isnt even out yet. :D

BTW, are you sure your friend can run WoW at 1440x900 on max settings? If so, thats great to know, cause I'm getting the D620 soon...

why can't you use the search? mobile dx10 won't be out till late spring early summer

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4477

i believe the first mobile dx10 card will be intel's integrated chip when the santa rosa platform comes out in april

if you can stand the bigger size, i'd get the dell, as the 7900gs is twice as fast as the 7700, also the dell should be cheaper with coupons

not sure about the wow benchmarks for the 7700, but you might be able to draw some conclusions here
gateway with the 7900gs
benchmarks for the 7600go

Back