question about OC and perfomance/efficciency

mito

Gawd
A given CPU running OC @ 3Ghz for instance.

Will it perform the same as another similar CPU running @ 3Ghz stock?

Aside the fact that more heat is generated and the likelihood of a crash (shorter lifespan in the long run), is there any overhead introduced to the CPU processing itself? Will performance be exactly the same?

A given CPU running OC @ 3Ghz for instance.

Will it perform the same as another similar CPU running @ 3Ghz stock?
Yes, the proformace will be the same.

Now, the OCed system will be ever so slightly faster because the FSB will be running at a higher mhz then the stock CPU.

Aside the fact that more heat is generated and the likelihood of a crash (shorter lifespan in the long run), is there any overhead introduced to the CPU processing itself? Will performance be exactly the same?

Every chip is different, you can have two of the same model chip that takes two completely different voltages to reach the same OC speed. So the heat out put will be different on every chip. Also people the OC usually use a after market HS for better cooling. So, as long as you keep your temps in check, there is a negligible effect on cpu life.
I'm not sure on what your asking as far as overhead.

Every chip is different, you can have two of the same model chip that takes two completely different voltages to reach the same OC speed. I'm not sure on what your asking as far as overhead.

For example, running @ 3Ghz is less demanding and stressful than an OC'd chip running at the same speed. Since the OC'd chip is under stress, could it have some delays caused by a micro bit/byte error or something? You know, a tiny bit error will have the CPU ask for the same data again from RAM (without causing a windows freeze or BSOD).... Thus causing delay/overhead, a fraction of a ms.

For example, running @ 3Ghz is less demanding and stressful than an OC'd chip running at the same speed.

Not necessarily, you can have a stock chip that takes a certain amount of voltage to run at its stock speed, lets say 3ghz. Now its possible to get a slower stock cpu, lets say a 2.66ghz chip that can be easily OC'ed to 3ghz and run at the speed using less vCore the the 3ghz stocker. All chips are different. Just becuase a chip is labled to run at whatever speed, doesnt mean that It can't run at a faster speed with little to no effort. You can also get the flip side of that, and receive a chip that is extremely horrible at OCing.

Since the OC'd chip is under stress, could it have some delays caused by a micro bit/byte error or something? You know, a tiny bit error will have the CPU ask for the same data again from RAM (without causing a windows freeze or BSOD).... Thus causing delay/overhead, a fraction of a ms.

That is why is it so very important to use cpu/system stablity test programs to verify that the system is stable, and that the cpu is not screwing anything up. Prime95 does an excellent jod at this.

I betcha didn't know that a chip at 3ghz is actually overclocked at the factory did ya? Chips arn't made to run at a higher speed really, they just take the best performing ones and pre-OC them.

2 chips at a stock 3ghz will have different levels of stress too...

I betcha didn't know that a chip at 3ghz is actually overclocked at the factory did ya? Chips arn't made to run at a higher speed really, they just take the best performing ones and pre-OC them.

Yep, as long as it is within spec, it really doesnt matter.

Yes, I'm aware my brave q6600 could be a failed qx6800 looser... :D

Back