Question about powered subwoofers

qfour20

Limp Gawd
Well, I finally got sick of the delapidated subwoofer that came with my samsung HTIB and ordered the dayton 10" powered sub from partsexpress. Now I'm wondering exactly how I should set it up.

The subwoofer has both line-level inputs and preamp level inputs. The cheez-o HTIB receiver does not have any sort of preamp outputs on it so I'm gonna have to use the line-level inputs on the subwoofer. My question is: Do i plug in the front two channels and pull the subwoofer's program material from those inputs, or do I run the speaker wire that the sub is hooked up to into the new subwoofer? I am leaning towards using the speaker output for the subwoofer because the receiver that I have is doing a high pass filter for the front speakers, and I haven't found a way to disable this filter.

Does the line-level input on a subwoofer require a speaker be connected to the output of that circuit? If so, would it make sense to get a resistor that's rated to dissapate the power that my receiver puts out (plus a margin of saftey) to ensure that the circuit is complete and signals can be read off of it?

Thanks in advance for everybody's help. I think the dayton 10" + insignia speakers will sound VERY nice when all is said and done.

-q

Back