Question about Sandy Bridge vcore

Raudulfr

2[H]4U
I set my i5 2400's turbo multiplier at x36 for a 3.6GHz overclock (meh, more than enough for games) and I left the vcore on Auto, which turns out is 1.32V according to Core Temp. That's pretty high, considering the speed and all, no?

The motherboard is an Asus P8P67.

The AUTO voltage setting on some Asus motherboards is overly generous with the core voltage. This can add heat to your CPU and waste power but is not always necessary. You might want to set core voltage manually in the bios instead.

Yes.

I see the "Auto" option has either a "+" or a "-" Offset. I'll try toying around with the negative offset to see if I can lower it without screwing with the idle vcore.

Yes.

I see the "Auto" option has either a "+" or a "-" Offset. I'll try toying around with the negative offset to see if I can lower it without screwing with the idle vcore.

Go Offset minus and start off with 0.005.

I wouldnt worry. 1.3x - 1.40'ish isnt going to do squat to your CPU in terms of damage. It just makes more heat, a few more pennies a week in power cost, and understand that processor voltage scales with use.

i.e. your software mgiht indicated 1.32v but your processor isnt actually pulling its TDP worth of wattage if you are not fully utilizing it. Im sure you know what I mean.

Man, I frigging hate Asus motherboards! I went to the EFI to change the vcore value and I noticed the "Auto" setting for DRAM voltage was 1.65V, I have a 1.5V kit!

Bad enough they pump the vcore to absurd levels, now they do the same for DRAM voltage? Even with XMP profiles they f*ck it up. Are Asus engineers retarded?

Ugh...

Last edited:
Many overclockers using air cooling are still running with in the mid-high 1.4v range, low 1.3v range isn't scary at all.

I've since increased the negative offset and I'm currently at 1.216/1.224V running Prime95. I think that's good enough for now (even though less than 1.20V is more than doable).

Back