Question about SIDs

scotlandrocks

Weaksauce
I've been playing around with ghosting machines and want to know if I'm likely to encounter any SID problems.

At the moment what I've been doing is building the machine on the domain just the same as I would if I wasn't going to ghost it. Then to ghost it I unplug the network cable, change it to use a workgroup and take an image.

To deploy it I image the machine disconnected from network, change the name, connect to network, then join domain.

Any problems with this?

You'll probably want to start using Sysprep. I create my base image with all the updates and software installed. Then I run Sysprep and create my Ghost image after that. Once I lay down the Ghost image on a new machine, I install the drivers, change the computer name, and join it to the domain. After joining the domain, I can set up the users profile, Outlook settings, etc, and then hand off the machine.

Two tips I've found to work. Don't join the domain until after it is Ghosted, and keep a folder on the C drive called Drivers, and store the driver files in there in subfolders by machine model name. After setup, just delete the entire Drivers folder.

Your method will cause duplicate SID problems.

The "trick" is to change the SID before you GHOST it. But you are doing something right that I've seen MANY people not do -- you remove it from the domain before you ghost it!

+1 on Sysprep if you're going to do that. If not, at least get something like newsid and run that before you take your image.

You'll probably want to start using Sysprep. I create my base image with all the updates and software installed. Then I run Sysprep and create my Ghost image after that. Once I lay down the Ghost image on a new machine, I install the drivers, change the computer name, and join it to the domain. After joining the domain, I can set up the users profile, Outlook settings, etc, and then hand off the machine.

Two tips I've found to work. Don't join the domain until after it is Ghosted, and keep a folder on the C drive called Drivers, and store the driver files in there in subfolders by machine model name. After setup, just delete the entire Drivers folder.

Are you saying you leave it in the default Workgroup rather than selecting the Domain option in the Microsoft Setup Manager Wizard for creating the sysprep.inf answer file? If so, I fail to understand the reason. Can you elaborate? I can't see why you wouldn't just let Sysprep automate joining the domain for you.

Back