question about the optical out

When I connect my receiver to the optical out on my mobo is that sound already processed or will the receiver do that? I'm wondering if I can improve my sound with a sound card. I'm not into computer speakers so I always only use the optical out to the receiver which feeds my home theater setup. I have an Abit IP35 PRO if that matters.

I believe the sound goes through the sound card's DAC first before it hits the receiver so yes a better sound card would make a difference in sound quality. I personally use a Auzen X-Fi Prelude and coaxial to my receiver.

Optical output isn't run through any DACs before hitting the output. Assuming you either bypass kmixer (using kernel streaming), or don't use windows, the data that comes out of an optical out will/can be identical to the data that comes out of a set top CD player. The only issue that can possibly be considered is jitter, and it's a non-issue in almost every imaginable case.

Optical output isn't run through any DACs before hitting the output. Assuming you either bypass kmixer (using kernel streaming), or don't use windows, the data that comes out of an optical out will/can be identical to the data that comes out of a set top CD player. The only issue that can possibly be considered is jitter, and it's a non-issue in almost every imaginable case.

So buying a sound card is not going to help me. I'm running winxp.

If you are using digital output, then no it's not going to help you.

Not all audio solutions offer bit-perfect output. Some will resample before outputting over digital connections, regardless of the OS.

I have no idea how noticeable this would be (probably not very, if at all), or whether the Abit IP35 PRO does this.

Back